[Reader-list] Fwd: <nettime> Oekonux: Interview with Stefan Merten

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Tue Apr 24 18:03:17 IST 2001

Dear All,

This is my first posting on this list, I have been a sly watcher form the
sidelines till now. But enjoy the occasionall sparks of life. Actually this
is not my own writing,. but something I am borrowing from the web to share
with us all. SOme fo how have a history with Marxism and some of us have a
future with free software. here is something that is a bit of both;;;

An interview by Geert on some people in Germany trying to find a relation
between free software and Marxism, and trying to work on the necessary
engineering needed to formulate the concepts of a GPL model for society in
general. Interesting.

>Interview with Stefan Merten
>By Geert Lovink
>
>Oekonux is a radical German mailinglist discussing free software from
>green-alternative and post-Marxist perspectives. The tone on the list is
>unusually open, not to say utopian. There is a true sense of possibilities
>felt: a free software revolution; revolution through free software. This
>weekend the Oekonux list is holding its first conference, in the grey,
>industrial city of Dortmund. Stefan Merten is the initiator and moderator
>of the list and co-organizer of the upcoming conference.
>
>GL: Could you tell us the history and context of the Oekonux list and
>OpenTheory site that you are running?
>
>SM: Your question gives me the nice opportunity to correct a rather common
>misunderstanding. I, Stefan *Merten*, am maintaining the Oekonux project,
>while Stefan *Meretz* maintains OpenTheory. Though both of us are involved
>in the other project, respectively, though we often have similar views,
>and though our names are very similar, we are two different persons with
>different backgrounds.
>
>But now for the history and context of the Oekonux list and project.
>Personally I had the idea that Free Software is something very special and
>may have a big potential for a different society beyond labor, money,
>exchange - in short: capitalism - in 1998. In September 1998 I tried to
>make that an issue on the Krisis list. However, that didn't work since
>next to nobody was interested.
>
>In July 1999 there was the "Wizard of Open Source"
>(`http://www.mikro.org/Events/OS/frameset_d.html?Submit=deutsch')
>conference in Berlin. I attended that conference and was especially
>interested in the topic "Neue Ökonomie?" ("New economy?"). However, on the
>background of the idea mentioned above, I found the talks presented there
>not very interesting. After the talks I took the opportunity to organize a
>spontaneous BOF session and luckily it worked well. So we sat there with
>about 20 people and discussed the thoughts presented in the talks. At the
>end I asked all the people at the BOF session to give me their e-mail
>address.
>
>After the WOS conference the organizers of the conference (Mikro,
>`http://www.mikro.org/') created a mailing list for us - and that was the
>birth of the Oekonux (Oekonux stands for "OEKOnomie" and "liNUX") mailing
>list. From the start we had a very interesting discussion with some silent
>periods but usually rather much traffic. The atmosphere on the list is
>very pleasant and flames are nearly unknown. The discussion is focussed on
>content and covers a rather big number of topics. At the moment we have
>about 160 subscribers at `liste at oekonux.de'. Though the traffic is quite
>high we have nearly no unsubscribe messages which I think is a proof for
>the quality of the list.
>
>As far as I can see the subscribers come from a quite wide range of
> [...]

Shuddhabrata Sengupta
SARAI: The New Media Initiative
Centre for the Study of Developing Societies
29, Rajpur Road, Delhi 110 052, India
www.sarai.net