[Reader-list] india.indymedia.org

Boud Roukema boud_roukema at camk.edu.pl
Tue Aug 28 02:28:20 IST 2001

Hi. I'm a non-Indian who spent some time living in India,
and would like to be supportive of Indian independent
media, in particular of what seems a very promising
project: http://india.indymedia.org.

My question is: would Sarai readers be willing to
help develop the india.indymedia.org site?

http://www.sarai.net is an excellent site, but
http://india.indymedia.org would have a different and
complementary role - see http://www.indymedia.org.

The idea would be for www.sarai.net people to meet,
train and support grass-roots activists (adivasis'
groups, dalits' rights' groups, womens' rights
groups, environmentalists, student activists,
anti-nuclear-bomb groups, etc.) to use and manage
India.Indymedia as a non-hierarchical publishing
agency - text/images/audio/video are supported.

I was very impressed by political activism in India,
but the many diverse groups need to network together
in a way that avoids any group dominating any other.

Look up the following meta-lists of sites, and you
should be able to find Delhi-based, Calcutta-based,
etc. grass-roots activists who would be glad to have
good e-support:

http://www.zmag.org/southasia/southasia1.htm
http://www.indiasocial.org/cgi/dirsearch.asp?catval=1

Indymedia "policy" for starting a site:
http://process.indymedia.org/want_imc.php3
http://lists.indymedia.org/mailman/public/new-imc/2001-August/000864.html

If you like the idea, then please join in
the India.indymedia discussion group:
http://lists.indymedia.org/mailman/public/imc-india/2001-August/thread.html