[2600] Re: [Reader-list] .Net / Hailstorm Initiative

Menso Heus menso at r4k.net
Fri Jul 6 16:17:41 IST 2001

On Fri, Jul 06, 2001 at 04:20:53PM +0530, Supreet Sethi wrote:
> I believe that Microsoft is providing me service for which I give them money. Earlier I owned the software(partly). But know right of ownership is with microsoft. So if microsoft does not provide me the quality of service I want can I opt out and get my money back. Can I change my service provider If i want. I don't think so.

Nobody forces you to use it or agree with it's terms of use. If you
do not like them, use something else, that simple.

> AFAIK competition is better for the user in terms of service but here in this case you don't have any competition. Microsoft and others are fattened gaints who are trying to control us as much as possible using our own money.

Easy argument.

> But as menso believes that there would be ways to control microsofts and others. I don't think so especially after the way in which microsoft has got clean chit in anti trust.

Menso believes that, if well working alternatives to Windows for the
desktop environment will arise, people will swap over. This is the point
I'm trying to get across.
I'm not saying it's ultragood or anything, I'm just saying that, of all
the stuff I've seen so far, in my opinion, Windows 2000 is the best for
desktop machines and laptops.

How can one expect people to move from something that 'works' to something
that doesn't just because one is operated by a giant and the other is not?
People aren't that stupid when it comes to money, if they can avoid paying
it by using 'free' software and still get their normal jobs done, they will.

Opensource operating systems and opensource webserver applications are gaining
big parts in marketshare, why? Because it works! I know several companies who
switched from IIS and Windows NT for their webstuff to FreeBSD and Apache.

When the same situation arises in the desktop environment, end users
will most likely do the same thing. Until then, Microsoft will stay the
only big player in desktop computing land (and MacOS will have a little
piece of the cake :)

> Lets hope menso is correct somebody this there to put checks

I hope so too :)

Menso