[Reader-list] 14.7.2001: Pheriwala as Encroacher-Entrepreneur

Mumbai Study Group kshekhar at bol.net.in
Fri Jul 6 20:21:41 IST 2001

Dear Friends:

In our next meeting, we welcome Dr ARVIND RAJAGOPAL, Associate
Professor of  Culture and Communications at New York University, New
York, U.S.A., who will be presenting a paper on "The Pheriwala as
Encroacher-Entrepreneur: The Aesthetics and Politics of Recent
Debates on Hawkers in Mumbai".

Dr Rajagopal has previously co-authored Mapping Hegemony: CBS
Coverage of the United Mineworkers' Strike, 1977-78 (1992). His
latest work, Politics After Television: Hindu Nationalism and the
Reshaping of the Indian Public (Cambridge University Press, 2001),
examines the impact of the screening of the Ramayana serial on
Doordarshan on Indian society, and the interface between economic
liberalisation, the rise of Hindu fundamentalism, and the role of the
mass media. He is a graduate of Madras University and the School of
Sociology at the University of California at Berkeley.

This session will be on this coming SATURDAY 14 JULY 2001, at 10.00
A.M., on the SECOND FLOOR, Rachna Sansad, 278, Shankar Ghanekar Marg,
Prabhadevi, next to Ravindra Natya Mandir. Phone: 4301024, 4310807,
4229969; Station: Elphinstone Road (Western Railway); BEST Bus: 35,
88, 91 Ltd, 151, 161, 162, 171, 305 Ltd, 355, 357, 363, to Ravindra
Natya Mandir.

ABOUT THE MUMBAI STUDY GROUP

The MUMBAI STUDY GROUP meets on the second and fourth Saturdays of
every month, at the Rachana Sansad, Prabhadevi, Mumbai. Our
conversations continue through the support extended by Shri Pradip
Amberkar, Principal of the Academy of Architecture, and Prof S.H.
Wandrekar, Trustee of the Rachana Sansad.

Conceived as an inclusive and non-partisan forum to foster dialogue,
discussion and criticism on urban issues, we have since September
2000 held conversations about various historical, political,
cultural, social and spatial aspects of Mumbai in the context of
globalisation. Our discussions are open and public, no previous
membership or affiliation is required. We encourage the participation
of urban researchers and practitioners, experts and non-experts,
researchers and students, and all individuals and groups in Mumbai to
join our conversations about the city.

The format we have evolved is to host individual or panel-based
presentations in various arenas of urban theory and practice, and
have a moderated and focussed discussion from our many practical and
professional perspectives. Among others, our previous sessions have
hosted the following presentations:

* Kalpana Sharma, Associate Editor of The Hindu and author of the
recently published Rediscovering Dharavi (Mumbai: Penguin Books,
2000), spoke about slum-dwellers, citizenship, and representations of
the poor and unhoused in the mainstream media.
* Kedar Ghorpade, Senior Planner at the Mumbai Metropolitan Region
Development Authority, presented on the business of managing cities,
the history of urban planning attempts in Mumbai, and the challenges
of planning in an expanding mega-city.
* Dr Marina Pinto, Professor of Public Administration, retired from
Mumbai University, and author of Metropolitan City Governance in
India (New Delhi: Sage Publications, 2000),  discussed with us urban
administration in the major cities of the country, and the structure
and functioning of the Bombay Municipal Corporation.
* Dr K. Sita, Professor of Geography, retired from Mumbai University
and former Garware Chair Professor at the Tata Institute of Social
Sciences, spoke about the changing economic functions of the city
historically, and geographical and social implications for planners.
* Dr Arjun Appadurai, Professor of Anthropology at the University of
Chicago, Director of Partners for Urban Knowledge Action & Research
(PUKAR), Mumbai, and the author of Modernity at Large: Cultural
Dimensions of Globalization (Univ of Minnesota Press, 1996),
presented on the questions of cities and globalisation: the changing
social ecologies of consumption, new market cultures, and the
multiple loyalties and identities being formed by these global
processes in local contexts in Mumbai.
* Rahul Srivastava, Lecturer in Sociology at Wilson College, spoke on
the Neighbourhood Project, an ethnographic initiative he has
conceived through encouraging his students to look at their own
localities in the inner-city areas of Central Bombay, through textual
and visual media. In a discussion of the changing contexts of urban
identity formation, we noted the value of using the city as a
pedagogical device for students.
* Sandeep Yeole, General Secretary of the Pheriwala Vikas Mahasangh,
along with several colleagues from various unions of street vendors
and hawkers in the city, made an overhead presentation and interacted
with us on issues of hawkers self-organisation, social consumption
and street commerce in Mumbai.
* S.S. Tinaikar, former Municipal Commissioner of Bombay, Sheela
Patel, Director of the Society for Protection of Area Resource
Centres (SPARC),  and Bhanu Desai of the Citizens' Forum for the
Protection of Public Spaces (CFPPS) joined us for a round-table
discussion on the Maharashtra Government's new Slum Policy 2001 and
the competing interests in the process of policy formation on urban
issues.
* Shirish Patel, one of India's leading engineers and part of the
planning team which designed New Bombay, chaired a discussion and
presentation on Mumbai's built environment in the wake of the
earthquakes in Gujarat, where we heard from Pramod Sahasrabuddhe and
Abhay Godbole, both structural engineers with long-standing practices
in Mumbai.
* Dr Anjali Monteiro, Professor and Head, and  K.P. Jayashankar,
Reader, from the Tata Institute of Social Sciences Unit for Media and
Communications, Mumbai introduced their film "Saacha", about poet
Narayan Surve and painter Sudhir Patwardhan, both of whom were part
of the landscape of Left cultural activism in Mumbai. The film was
followed by a discussion with Sudhir Patwardhan about the changing
face of Mumbai.
* Dr Sujata Patel, Professor and Head, Department of Sociology,
University of Pune, spoke on politics, identities and populism, on
the basis of her ongoing project on culture, consumption practices,
and the Shiv Sena and her forthcoming edited anthology, co-edited
with Jim Masselos, titled Mumbai: Bombay's Future?. This will be the
third volume in the series, co-edited with Alice Thorner, of which
the first two volumes were Bombay: Metaphor for Modern Culture, and
Bombay: Mosaic of Modern India (both Oxford University Press India,
1995).
* Dr Mariam Dossal, Head, Department of History, Mumbai University,
spoke on nationalist architecture and the  Bombay School of
Architecture in the colonial and postcolonial periods. Dr Dossal is
the author of Imperial Designs and Indian Realities: The Planning of
Bombay City 1845-1875 (Oxford University Press India, 1991).
* B. Rajaram, Managing Director of Konkan Railway Corporation, and Dr
P.G. Patankar,  former Chairman of the Bombay Electric Supply &
Transport Undertaking (BEST) and currently with Tata Consultancy
Services joined us for a panel discussion on public transport
alternatives for Mumbai: the Sky Bus and Underground Metro.
* Ved Segan, Vikas Dilawari, and Pankaj Joshi, three noted
conservation architects, featured in a panel discussion on the social
relevance of heritage and conservation architecture in Mumbai.
* Sucheta Dalal, business journalist, author, and Consulting Editor,
Financial Express talked to us about institutional finance in the
city.  Dalal co-authored with Debashis Basu The Scam: Who Won, Who
Lost, Who Got Away, about the Harshad Mehta scam, a story which she
broke; she is the biographer of A.D. Shroff, financial expert and
founder of the Forum of Free Enteprise (Viking Press, 2000).
* Debi Goenka, of the Bombay Environmental Action Group, and
Chandrashekhar Prabhu, architect and environmental and housing
activist, joined Professor Sudha Srivastava, Dr Geeta Kewalramani,
and Dr Dipti Mukherji, of the University of Mumbai Department of
Geography, for a panel discussion on the salt pan lands in Mumbai,
the politics of land use and the Coastal Regulation Zone Act.

These broad concerns have been the impetus for our conversation. We
feel that it is through marrying such general discussions to a more
focussed engagement with the many aspects of urban life, that we can
promote quality debate and discussion on urban theory and practice in
Mumbai. As almost any issue deemed "urban" has numerous dimensions --
legally, politically, economically, spatially, historically -- the
Mumbai Study Group is meant as a multi-disciplinary forum for
discussion and mutual criticism by professionals in their respective
fields of urban practice: whether as architects or planners, lawyers
or journalists, academics or activists.Through such a conversation,
we hope to build an inclusive community of urban citizens, which
while grounding itself in the practices of professionals also has a
clear critical perspective, situating Mumbai in the theories and
practices of urbanism globally.

CONTACT US

We invite all urban researchers, practitioners and other interested
individuals to join us in our fortnightly conversations, and suggest
topics for presentation and discussion. For any more information,
kindly contact one of the Joint Convenors of the Mumbai Study Group:
ARVIND ADARKAR, Architect, Researcher and Lecturer, Academy of
Architecture, Phone 2051834, <adarkars at vsnl.com>; DARRYL D'MONTE,
Journalist and Writer, 6427088 <darryl at vsnl.com>; SHEKHAR KRISHNAN,
Coordinator-Associate, Partners for Urban Knowledge Action & Research
(PUKAR), 4462728, <pukar at bol.net.in>; PANKAJ JOSHI, Conservation
Architect, Lecturer, Academy of Architecture, and PUKAR Associate,
8230625, <pjarch at vsnl.com>.