[Reader-list] [LIG] Reaction to NASSCOM's campaign

Raju Mathur raju at linux-delhi.org
Sat Jun 9 00:29:41 IST 2001

Hi Atul,

First-cut reactions:

I personally don't know too much about NASSCOM's activities.  I'm
aware that they've done a fair amount of lobbying for the Indian
Software Industry in international fora, and presumably the current
well-being of the industry is due at least partly to their efforts.  I
have no quarrel with that: it's laudable, IMHO.

I do object to NASSCOM's role as a policeman for foreign software
companies.  It's unethical, cowardly and against development.
Unethical because Indians pay for NASSCOM's existence, and their
primary fealty must be towards India and Indians; cowardly because
(and I'm treading on shifting sands here :) essentially the copyright
law has been forced down our throat due to the WTO, and we need to
have the backbone and the strength to stand up for our rights (no, I'm
not advocating illegal copying of software, just the right to make our
own decisions); contra-productive since, as you've stated, there does
not seem to be any focus from NASSCOM on evaluating and promoting
technologies like GNU/Linux/BSD which could be more relevant to our
country in the long- (and maybe even the short-) term.

Is there someone on the list who can throw more light on NASSCOM's
charter, constitution and activities, so that we can make have a more
informed discussion?  My reactions above have purely been based on
newspaper reports and ads, which information is bound to be sketchy
and possibly incorrect.

Regards,

-- Raju

--