[Reader-list] Chomsky @ MIT Tech & Culture Forum

Raghavendra Bhat ragu at asianetonline.net
Mon Nov 5 18:45:56 IST 2001

                         The New War Against Terror
                                Noam Chomsky

                   The Technology And Culture Forum At MIT
                         http://web.mit.edu/tac/www/

Everyone knows it's  the TV people who run the  world [crowd laugher]. I
just got orders  that I'm supposed to be here, not  there. Well the last
talk I gave  at this forum was  on a light pleasant topic.  It was about
how  humans are  an endangered  species and  given the  nature  of their
institutions they  are likely  to destroy themselves  in a  fairly short
time. So this time there is a little relief and we have a pleasant topic
instead, the new war on terror. Unfortunately, the world keeps coming up
with things that make it more and more horrible as we proceed.

I'm going to assume 2 conditions for this talk.

The first one is  just what I assume to be recognition  of fact. That is
that the events of September  11 were a horrendous atrocity probably the
most devastating instant human toll  of any crime in history, outside of
war. The second  assumption has to do with the  goals. I'm assuming that
our goal  is that we are  interested in reducing the  likelihood of such
crimes whether they are against us or against someone else. If you don't
accept those two  assumptions, then what I say will  not be addressed to
you. If  we do accept  them, then a  number of questions  arise, closely
related ones, which merit a good deal of thought.

One question,  and by far  the most important  one is what  is happening
right now? Implicit in  that is what can we do about  it? The 2nd has to
do with the very common assumption that what happened on September 11 is
a historic  event, one which will  change history. I tend  to agree with
that. I  think it's true.  It was a  historic event and the  question we
should be  asking is exactly  why? The 3rd  question has to do  with the
title, The  War Against Terrorism.  Exactly what is  it? And there  is a
related question,  namely what is  terrorism? The 4th question  which is
narrower  but important  has to  do with  the origins  of the  crimes of
September 11th. And the 5th question  that I want to talk a little about
is what policy options there  are in fighting this war against terrorism
and dealing with the situations that led to it.

I'll say  a few things about each.  Glad to go beyond  in discussion and
don't hesitate to bring up other  questions. These are ones that come to
my  mind  as prominent  but  you may  easily  and  plausibly have  other
choices.

Well  let's start  with  right now.  I'll  talk about  the situation  in
Afghanistan. I'll just keep to uncontroversial sources like the New York
Times [crowd laughter]. According to the New York Times there are 7 to 8
million people in Afghanistan on  the verge of starvation. That was true
actually  before September  11th. They  were surviving  on international
aid. On  September 16th,  the Times reported,  I'm quoting it,  that the
United States  demanded from Pakistan  the elimination of  truck convoys
that  provide much  of  the  food and  other  supplies to  Afghanistan's
civilian population. As  far as I could determine  there was no reaction
in the  United States or  for that matter  in Europe. I was  on national
radio all over Europe the next day.  There was no reaction in the United
States or  in Europe  to my  knowledge to the  demand to  impose massive
starvation on millions  of people. The threat of  military strikes right
after September.....around that time forced the removal of international
aid  workers that  crippled  the assistance  programs.   Actually, I  am
quoting again from the New  York Times. Refugees reaching Pakistan after
arduous journeys from  AF are describing scenes of  desperation and fear
at home as the threat of  American led military attacks turns their long
running  misery into  a  potential  catastrophe. The  country  was on  a
lifeline and we  just cut the line. Quoting an  evacuated aid worker, in
the New York Times Magazine.

The World  Food Program, the UN program,  which is the main  one by far,
were able to resume after 3 weeks in early October, they began to resume
at a lower  level, resume food shipments. They  don't have international
aid workers  within, so  the distribution system  is hampered.  That was
suspended as soon as the bombing began. They then resumed but at a lower
pace while  aid agencies leveled scathing condemnations  of US airdrops,
condemning them as  propaganda tools which are probably  doing more harm
than good. That happens to be  quoting the London Financial Times but it
is easy  to continue.   After the  first week of  bombing, the  New York
Times reported on a back page inside a column on something else, that by
the  arithmetic of the  United Nations  there will  soon be  7.5 million
Afghans in acute need  of even a loaf of bread and  there are only a few
weeks left  before the harsh winter  will make deliveries  to many areas
totally  impossible, continuing  to quote,  but with  bombs  falling the
delivery rate  is down  to *  of what is  needed. Casual  comment. Which
tells  us that Western  civilization is  anticipating the  slaughter of,
well do  the arithmetic, 3-4 million  people or something  like that. On
the  same  day,  the  leader  of  Western  civilization  dismissed  with
contempt, once again, offers of  negotiation for delivery of the alleged
target, Osama bin Laden, and a request for some evidence to substantiate
the demand for total capitulation. It was dismissed. On the same day the
Special Rapporteur of  the UN in charge of food  pleaded with the United
States to stop the bombing to try to save millions of victims. As far as
I'm aware that was unreported.  That was Monday. Yesterday the major aid
agencies OXFAM  and Christian  Aid and others  joined in that  plea. You
can't find  a report  in the  New York Times.  There was  a line  in the
Boston Globe, hidden in a story about another topic, Kashmir.

Well we could easily go  on....but all of that....first of all indicates
to  us what's happening.  Looks like  what's happening  is some  sort of
silent genocide.  It also gives  a good deal  of insight into  the elite
culture, the  culture that we are  part of. It  indicates that whatever,
what will  happen we don't know,  but plans are being  made and programs
implemented on the assumption that they may lead to the death of several
million  people in  the next  couple of  weeks....very casually  with no
comment, no  particular thought  about it, that's  just kind  of normal,
here and in a good part of Europe. Not in the rest of the world. In fact
not even in much of Europe. So  if you read the Irish press or the press
in  Scotland...that close,  reactions  are very  different. Well  that's
what's  happening now.  What's  happening  now is  very  much under  our
control. We can do a lot  to affect what's happening. And that's roughly
it.

Alright let's  turn to the  slightly more abstract  question, forgetting
for the moment that we are in the midst of apparently trying to murder 3
or  4 million people,  not Taliban  of course,  their victims.  Let's go
back...turn to  the question  of the historic  event that took  place on
September 11th.  As I said,  I think that's  correct. It was  a historic
event.  Not unfortunately  because  of its  scale,  unpleasant to  think
about, but in terms  of the scale it's not that unusual.  I did say it's
the worst...probably the worst instant human toll of any crime. And that
may be  true. But  there are  terrorist crimes with  effects a  bit more
drawn  out that are  more extreme,  unfortunately. Nevertheless,  it's a
historic event because there was  a change. The change was the direction
in which the  guns were pointed. That's new. Radically  new. So, take US
history.

The last time that the national territory of the United States was under
attack, or for that matter,  even threatened was when the British burned
down Washington in  1814. There have been many...it  was common to bring
up Pearl Harbor  but that's not a good analogy.  The Japanese, what ever
you think about it, the Japanese  bombed military bases in 2 US colonies
not the  national territory;  colonies which had  been taken  from their
inhabitants in  not a  very pretty way.  This is the  national territory
that's  been attacked  on  a large  scale,  you can  find  a few  fringe
examples but this is unique.

During  these close  to 200  years, we,  the United  States  expelled or
mostly exterminated  the indigenous population, that's  many millions of
people, conquered half of Mexico,  carried out depredations all over the
region,  Caribbean  and  Central  America, sometimes  beyond,  conquered
Hawaii  and the Philippines,  killing several  100,000 Filipinos  in the
process. Since  the Second World War,  it has extended  its reach around
the world  in ways I don't have  to describe. But it  was always killing
someone else,  the fighting was somewhere  else, it was  others who were
getting slaughtered. Not here. Not the national territory.

In the  case of  Europe, the  change is even  more dramatic  because its
history is even more horrendous than ours. We are an offshoot of Europe,
basically.  For hundreds of years, Europe has been casually slaughtering
people all over  the world. That's how they conquered  the world, not by
handing  out candy  to babies.  During  this period,  Europe did  suffer
murderous wars, but that was European killers murdering one another. The
main  sport  of  Europe  for  hundreds of  years  was  slaughtering  one
another. The only  reason that it came to an end  in 1945, was....it had
nothing to do with Democracy or not making war with each other and other
fashionable notions. It had to do with the fact that everyone understood
that the next time they play the game it was going to be the end for the
world. Because  the Europeans, including us, had  developed such massive
weapons of destruction that that game  just have to be over. And it goes
back hundreds of  years. In the 17th century, about  probably 40% of the
entire population of Germany was wiped out in one war.

But  during  this  whole  bloody  murderous  period,  it  was  Europeans
slaughtering   each    other,   and   Europeans    slaughtering   people
elsewhere. The Congo didn't attack Belgium, India didn't attack England,
Algeria  didn't attack  France.   It's uniform.  There  are again  small
exceptions, but pretty small in  scale, certainly invisible in the scale
of what Europe and  us were doing to the rest of  the world. This is the
first change. The  first time that the guns have  been pointed the other
way.  And in  my  opinion that's  probably  why you  see such  different
reactions  on the  two sides  of  the Irish  Sea which  I have  noticed,
incidentally, in many  interviews on both sides, national  radio on both
sides.  The world  looks very  different  depending on  whether you  are
holding the lash or whether you  are being whipped by it for hundreds of
years, very different.  So I think the shock and  surprise in Europe and
its offshoots, like here, is very understandable. It is a historic event
but regrettably  not in scale,  in something else  and a reason  why the
rest of  the world...most  of the rest  of the  world looks at  it quite
differently. Not  lacking sympathy  for the victims  of the  atrocity or
being horrified  by them, that's almost  uniform, but viewing  it from a
different perspective.  Something we might want to understand.

Well,  let's  go  to  the  third  question, 'What  is  the  war  against
terrorism?'  and  a side question, 'What's terrorism?'.  The war against
terrorism  has been described  in high  places as  a struggle  against a
plague, a cancer  which is spread by barbarians,  by "depraved opponents
of civilization  itself." That's a feeling  that I share.  The words I'm
quoting, however,  happen to  be from 20  years ago.  Those are...that's
President Reagan and his  Secretary of State.  The Reagan administration
came  into  office   20  years  ago  declaring  that   the  war  against
international   terrorism   would   be   the   core   of   our   foreign
policy....describing  it in  terms  of  the kind  I  just mentioned  and
others.   And  it  was  the  core  of our  foreign  policy.  The  Reagan
administration responded to this  plague spread by depraved opponents of
civilization itself by creating an extraordinary international terrorist
network,  totally  unprecedented in  scale,  which  carried out  massive
atrocities all over the world, primarily....well, partly nearby, but not
only there. I won't run  through the record, you're all educated people,
so I'm sure you learned about it in High School. [crowd laughter]

But I'll just  mention one case which is  totally uncontroversial, so we
might  as well not  argue about  it, by  no means  the most  extreme but
uncontroversial.  It's  uncontroversial because of the  judgments of the
highest  international authorities the  International Court  of Justice,
the  World  Court,  and  the   UN  Security  Council.  So  this  one  is
uncontroversial, at least among people who have some minimal concern for
international law, human rights, justice and other things like that. And
now  I'll leave  you an  exercise.  You can  estimate the  size of  that
category by simply  asking how often this uncontroversial  case has been
mentioned in the  commentary of the last month.  And it's a particularly
relevant one,  not only  because it is  uncontroversial, but  because it
does  offer a  precedent as  to how  a law  abiding state  would respond
to...did  respond   in  fact   to  international  terrorism,   which  is
uncontroversial. And was even more  extreme than the events of September
11th. I'm talking  about the Reagan-US war against  Nicaragua which left
tens of  thousands of  people dead, the  country ruined,  perhaps beyond
recovery.

Nicaragua  did respond.  They didn't  respond  by setting  off bombs  in
Washington. They responded by taking it to the World Court, presenting a
case, they  had no  problem putting together  evidence. The  World Court
accepted their case, ruled  in their favor, ordered the...condemned what
they  called the  "unlawful use  of force,"  which is  another  word for
international terrorism, by the United States, ordered the United States
to  terminate the  crime  and  to pay  massive  reparations. The  United
States, of course, dismissed the  court judgment with total contempt and
announced  that  it would  not  accept  the  jurisdiction of  the  court
henceforth. Then  Nicaragua then went  to the UN Security  Council which
considered a  resolution calling on all states  to observe international
law. No  one was  mentioned but everyone  understood. The  United States
vetoed the resolution.  It now stands as the only  state on record which
has both been  condemned by the World Court  for international terrorism
and  has vetoed  a  Security  Council resolution  calling  on states  to
observe international  law. Nicaragua then went to  the General Assembly
where there is  technically no veto but a negative US  vote amounts to a
veto.  It passed  a  similar  resolution with  only  the United  States,
Israel, and El Salvador opposed. The following year again, this time the
United States could  only rally Israel to the cause,  so 2 votes opposed
to  observing international law.  At that  point, Nicaragua  couldn't do
anything lawful. It  tried all the measures. They don't  work in a world
that is ruled by force.

This case is  uncontroversial but it's by no means  the most extreme. We
gain  a lot  of insight  into  our own  culture and  society and  what's
happening now  by asking 'how much we  know about all this?  How much we
talk about it? How much you learn  about it in school? How much it's all
over  the front  pages?'  And  this is  only the  beginning.  The United
States  responded  to  the  World  Court and  the  Security  Council  by
immediately  escalating the  war  very quickly,  that  was a  bipartisan
decision incidentally. The  terms of the war were  also changed. For the
first  time there were  official orders  given...official orders  to the
terrorist  army  to  attack  what  are called  "soft  targets,"  meaning
undefended  civilian  targets, and  to  keep  away  from the  Nicaraguan
army. They  were able  to do  that because the  United States  had total
control of  the air over Nicaragua  and the mercenary  army was supplied
with advanced communication equipment, it  wasn't a guerilla army in the
normal sense  and could  get instructions about  the disposition  of the
Nicaraguan army  forces so  they could attack  agricultural collectives,
health clinics, and  so on...soft targets with impunity.  Those were the
official orders.

What was  the reaction? It  was known. There  was a reaction to  it. The
policy  was regarded  as sensible  by left  liberal opinion.  So Michael
Kinsley  who represents  the  left in  mainstream  discussion, wrote  an
article in  which he said  that we shouldn't  be too quick  to criticize
this policy  as Human Rights  Watch had just  done. He said  a "sensible
policy" must  "meet the test of  cost benefit analysis" --  that is, I'm
quoting now,  that is the  analysis of "the  amount of blood  and misery
that will be poured in, and the likelihood that democracy will emerge at
the  other end."  Democracy as  the US  understands the  term,  which is
graphically illustrated in the  surrounding countries. Notice that it is
axiomatic that the  United States, US elites, have  the right to conduct
the analysis and to pursue the  project if it passes their tests. And it
did pass  their tests.  It worked. When  Nicaragua finally  succumbed to
superpower  assault,  commentators  openly  and  cheerfully  lauded  the
success   of  the  methods   that  were   adopted  and   described  them
accurately. So  I'll quote Time Magazine  just to pick  one. They lauded
the success of the methods  adopted: "to wreck the economy and prosecute
a long  and deadly proxy war  until the exhausted  natives overthrow the
unwanted government  themselves," with a  cost to us that  is "minimal,"
and leaving the victims "with wrecked bridges, sabotaged power stations,
and ruined farms,"  and thus providing the US  candidate with a "winning
issue": "ending the impoverishment of  the people of Nicaragua." The New
York  Times had  a headline  saying "Americans  United in  Joy"  at this
outcome.

That is the  culture in which we live and it  reveals several facts. One
is the  fact that terrorism works.  It doesn't fail.  It works. Violence
usually  works. That's  world  history. Secondly,  it's  a very  serious
analytic error to say, as is commonly done, that terrorism is the weapon
of the  weak. Like other means  of violence, it's primarily  a weapon of
the strong,  overwhelmingly, in fact. It is  held to be a  weapon of the
weak because  the strong  also control the  doctrinal systems  and their
terror doesn't count  as terror. Now that's close  to universal. I can't
think of a historical exception,  even the worst mass murderers view the
world that way.  So pick the Nazis. They weren't  carrying out terror in
occupied  Europe. They  were protecting  the local  population  from the
terrorisms of the partisans.  And like other resistance movements, there
was terrorism. The Nazis  were carrying out counter terror. Furthermore,
the United  States essentially agreed with  that. After the  war, the US
army  did  extensive  studies  of  Nazi  counter  terror  operations  in
Europe. First I should say that the US picked them up and began carrying
them   out  itself,  often   against  the   same  targets,   the  former
resistance.  But the military  also studied  the Nazi  methods published
interesting  studies,  sometimes  critical  of them  because  they  were
inefficiently carried  out, so a  critical analysis, you didn't  do this
right, you did that right, but those methods with the advice of Wermacht
officers  who were  brought  over  here became  the  manuals of  counter
insurgency,  of counter  terror, of  low  intensity conflict,  as it  is
called,  and are  the manuals,  and are  the procedures  that  are being
used. So it's not just that the  Nazis did it. It's that it was regarded
as the right thing to do by the leaders of western civilization, that is
us, who then proceeded to do  it themselves. Terrorism is not the weapon
of the weak. It is the weapon of those who are against 'us' whoever 'us'
happens to be.  And if you can find a historical  exception to that, I'd
be interested in seeing it.

Well, an interesting  indication of the nature of  our culture, our high
culture,  is the way  in which  all of  this is  regarded. One  way it's
regarded  is just suppressing  it. So  almost nobody  has ever  heard of
it. And the power of American  propaganda and doctrine is so strong that
even among  the victims it's barely  known. I mean, when  you talk about
this to  people in Argentina,  you have to  remind them. Oh,  yeah, that
happened,  we  forgot  about  it.  It's  deeply  suppressed.  The  sheer
consequences  of  the monopoly  of  violence  can  be very  powerful  in
ideological and other terms.

Well, one  illuminating aspect of  our own attitude toward  terrorism is
the reaction to  the idea that Nicaragua might have  the right to defend
itself.   Actually I  went through  this  in some  detail with  database
searches and that sort of thing.  The idea that Nicaragua might have the
right  to defend itself  was considered  outrageous. There  is virtually
nothing in  mainstream commentary  indicating that Nicaragua  might have
that right. And that fact was exploited by the Reagan administration and
its propaganda  in an interesting way.  Those of you who  were around in
that time will  remember that they periodically floated  rumors that the
Nicaraguans were getting  MIG jets, jets from Russia.  At that point the
hawks and  the doves split.  The hawks said,  'ok, let's bomb  'em.' The
doves said, `wait a minute, let's see if the rumors are true. And if the
rumors are true, then let's bomb them.  Because they are a threat to the
United  States.' Why,  incidentally were  they getting  MIGs.  Well they
tried to  get jet planes from  European countries but  the United States
put  pressure on  its allies  so  that it  wouldn't send  them means  of
defense because  they wanted them to  turn to the  Russians. That's good
for propaganda purposes. Then they become a threat to us. Remember, they
were just  2 days  march from Harlingen,  Texas. We actually  declared a
national emergency  in 1985  to protect the  country from the  threat of
Nicaragua. And it stayed in force. So it was much better for them to get
arms from  the Russians. Why would  they want jet planes?  Well, for the
reasons I  already mentioned. The  United States had total  control over
their  airspace,  was   over  flying  it  and  using   that  to  provide
instructions to the terrorist army to enable them to attack soft targets
without running into the army that might defend them. Everyone knew that
that was  the reason.  They  are not going  to use their jet  planes for
anything else. But the idea that Nicaragua should be permitted to defend
its  airspace against a  superpower attack  that is  directing terrorist
forces to attack undefended civilian targets, that was considered in the
United States as outrageous and  uniformly so. Exceptions are so slight,
you know I  can practically list them. I don't suggest  that you take my
word  for   this.  Have  a   look.  That  includes  our   own  senators,
incidentally.

Another  illustration of  how  we regard  terrorism  is happening  right
now. The  US has just appointed  an ambassador to the  United Nations to
lead the war against terrorism a  couple weeks ago. Who is he? Well, his
name is John Negroponte. He was  the US ambassador in the fiefdom, which
is what it is, of Honduras in  the early 1980's. There was a little fuss
made about the  fact that he must have been aware,  as he certainly was,
of the large-scale murders and  other atrocities that were being carried
out  by the security  forces in  Honduras that  we were  supporting. But
that's a small  part of it.  As proconsul of Honduras,  as he was called
there,  he was  the  local supervisor  for  the terrorist  war based  in
Honduras, for which his government  was condemned by the world court and
then  the Security  Council  in a  vetoed  resolution. And  he was  just
appointed as the  UN Ambassador to lead the  war against terror. Another
small experiment  you can do is check  and see what the  reaction was to
this. Well, I will tell you what  you are going to find, but find it for
yourself. Now that tells us a  lot about the war against terrorism and a
lot about ourselves.

After the United States took over the country again under the conditions
that were so graphically described  by the press, the country was pretty
much  destroyed in the  1980's, but  it has  totally collapsed  since in
every respect just about. Economically it has declined sharply since the
US take  over, democratically and in  every other respect.  It's now the
second poorest country in the  Hemisphere. I should say....I'm not going
to talk about it, but I  mentioned that I picked up Nicaragua because it
is  an uncontroversial  case. If  you look  at the  other states  in the
region, the state  terror was far more extreme and  it again traces back
to Washington and that's by no means all.

It was happening elsewhere in the world too, take say Africa. During the
Reagan years alone,  South African attacks, backed by  the United States
and Britain, US/UK-backed South  African attacks against the neighboring
countries killed about  a million and a half people  and left 60 billion
dollars  in damage  and countries  destroyed. And  if we  go  around the
world, we can add more examples.

Now that  was the first war against  terror of which I've  given a small
sample. Are we supposed to pay  attention to that? Or kind of think that
that   might  be   relevant?  After   all  it's   not   exactly  ancient
history. Well, evidently  not as you can tell by  looking at the current
discussion of the war on terror which has been the leading topic for the
last month.

I mentioned that Nicaragua has now become the 2nd poorest country in the
hemisphere.  What's the  poorest country?  Well that's  of  course Haiti
which also happens to be the  victim of most US intervention in the 20th
century by a long shot. We  left it totally devastated. It's the poorest
country.  Nicaragua is second ranked in degree of US intervention in the
20th  century.   It is  the  2nd poorest.  Actually,  it  is vying  with
Guatemala. They  interchange every  year or two  as to who's  the second
poorest.  And they  also  vie as  to who  is  the leading  target of  US
military intervention. We're supposed to  think that all of this is some
sort of accident. That is has  nothing to do with anything that happened
in history. Maybe.

The worst  human rights violator  in the 1990's  is Colombia, by  a long
shot.  It's also  the, by far, the leading recipient  of US military aid
in the  1990's maintaining  the terror and  human rights  violations. In
1999,  Colombia replaced  Turkey as  the  leading recipient  of US  arms
worldwide,  that is  excluding Israel  and  Egypt which  are a  separate
category. And  that tells us  a lot more  about the war on  terror right
now, in fact.

Why was Turkey getting  such a huge flow of US arms?  Well if you take a
look at  the flow of US  arms to Turkey, Turkey  always got a  lot of US
arms. It's  strategically placed, a member  of NATO, and so  on. But the
arms  flow to  Turkey  went up  very  sharply in  1984.  It didn't  have
anything to do with the cold  war. I mean Russian was collapsing. And it
stayed high from 1984 to 1999 when it reduced and it was replaced in the
lead  by Colombia.  What  happened from  1984  to 1999?  Well, in  1984,
[Turkey] launched  a major terrorist  war against Kurds  in southeastern
Turkey. And that's  when US aid went up, military aid.  And this was not
pistols. This was  jet planes, tanks, military training,  and so on. And
it  stayed high  as the  atrocities  escalated through  the 1990's.  Aid
followed it. The peak year was  1997. In 1997, US military aid to Turkey
was more than  in the entire period  1950 to 1983, that is  the cold war
period, which  is an indication  of how much  the cold war  has affected
policy.  And  the  results  were   awesome.  This  led  to  2-3  million
refugees. Some of the worst ethnic cleansing of the late 1990's. Tens of
thousands of people killed, 3500  towns and villages destroyed, way more
than Kosovo, even under NATO  bombs. And the United States was providing
80%  of the  arms, increasing  as the  atrocities increased,  peaking in
1997. It  declined in  1999 because,  once  again, terror  worked as  it
usually  does  when  carried  out   by  its  major  agents,  mainly  the
powerful. So  by 1999, Turkish terror, called  of course counter-terror,
but  as  I said,  that's  universal,  it  worked. Therefore  Turkey  was
replaced  by Colombia  which  had  not yet  succeeded  in its  terrorist
war. And therefore had to move into first place as recipient of US arms.

Well, what makes this all particularly  striking is that all of this was
taking place right  in the midst of a  huge flood of self-congratulation
on the part  of Western intellectuals which probably  has no counterpart
in  history. I mean  you all  remember it.  It was  just a  couple years
ago. Massive self-adulation  about how for the first  time in history we
are so magnificent;  that we are standing up  for principles and values;
dedicated   to  ending  inhumanity   everywhere  in   the  new   era  of
this-and-that, and  so-on-and-so-forth. And we  certainly can't tolerate
atrocities right  near the borders of  NATO. That was  repeated over and
over. Only within the borders of NATO where we can not only can tolerate
much  worse atrocities  but  contribute to  them.  Another insight  into
Western civilization and our own, is  how often was this brought up? Try
to  look.  I  won't repeat  it.  But  it's  instructive. It's  a  pretty
impressive feat  for a  propaganda system  to carry this  off in  a free
society.  It's pretty  amazing. I  don't think  you could  do this  in a
totalitarian state.

And Turkey is very grateful. Just  a few days ago, Prime Minister Ecevit
announced  that Turkey  would join  the coalition  against  terror, very
enthusiastically, even more so than  others. In fact, he said they would
contribute troops which others have  not willing to do. And he explained
why.  He said,  We owe a debt of gratitude to  the United States because
the United States was the only country that was willing to contribute so
massively to our  own, in his words "counter-terrorist"  war, that is to
our  own  massive ethnic  cleansing  and  atrocities  and terror.  Other
countries helped a  little, but they stayed back.  The United States, on
the other hand, contributed enthusiastically and decisively and was able
to do so  because of the silence, servility might be  the right word, of
the educated  classes who could  easily find out  about it. It's  a free
country after all.  You can read human rights reports.  You can read all
sorts of stuff. But we chose  to contribute to the atrocities and Turkey
is very  happy, they owe us a  debt of gratitude for  that and therefore
will contribute troops just as during the war in Serbia. Turkey was very
much praised  for using its F-16's  which we supplied it  to bomb Serbia
exactly  as it  had been  doing  with the  same planes  against its  own
population  up until  the time  when  it finally  succeeded in  crushing
internal terror as  they called it. And as  usual, as always, resistance
does include terror. Its true of the American Revolution. That's true of
every case I  know. Just as its  true that those who have  a monopoly of
violence talk about themselves as carrying out counter terror.

Now that's pretty impressive and that  has to do with the coalition that
is now  being organized to fight  the war against terror.  And it's very
interesting to see how that coalition is being described. So have a look
at   this   morning's  Christian   Science   Monitor.   That's  a   good
newspaper. One of the  best international newspapers, with real coverage
of the  world. The lead  story, the front-page  story, is about  how the
United States, you know people used to dislike the United States but now
they are beginning to respect it,  and they are very happy about the way
that the  US is leading the  war against terror. And  the prime example,
well  in fact  the  only serious  example,  the others  are  a joke,  is
Algeria. Turns  out that Algeria is  very enthusiastic about  the US war
against  terror.  The person  who  wrote the  article  is  an expert  on
Africa. He must  know that Algeria is one of  the most vicious terrorist
states in the world and  has been carrying out horrendous terror against
its own  population in the past couple  of years, in fact.  For a while,
this was under wraps. But it  was finally exposed in France by defectors
from the Algerian army. It's all over the place there and in England and
so on.  But here, we're  very proud because  one of the  worst terrorist
states  in the world  is now  enthusiastically welcoming  the US  war on
terror  and  in fact  is  cheering  on the  United  States  to lead  the
war. That shows how popular we are getting.

And if you look at the  coalition that is being formed against terror it
tells you a lot more. A  leading member of the coalition is Russia which
is delighted to  have the United States support  its murderous terrorist
war  in   Chechnya  instead  of  occasionally  criticizing   it  in  the
background. China  is joining  enthusiastically. It's delighted  to have
support for the  atrocities it's carrying out in  western China against,
what it  called, Muslim secessionists.  Turkey, as I mentioned,  is very
happy with the war against  terror. They are experts. Algeria, Indonesia
delighted to have even more US support for atrocities it is carrying out
in Ache and elsewhere. Now we can  run through the list, the list of the
states  that   have  joined  the  coalition  against   terror  is  quite
impressive. They  have a characteristic  in common.  They  are certainly
among the leading  terrorist states in the world. And  they happen to be
led by the world champion.

Well that brings us back to the question, what is terrorism? I have been
assuming we  understand it. Well, what  is it? Well, there  happen to be
some easy answers to this. There is an official definition. You can find
it in the US  code or in US army manuals. A  brief statement of it taken
from a US army manual, is  fair enough, is that terror is the calculated
use  of  violence or  the  threat of  violence  to  attain political  or
religious   ideological  goals   through   intimidation,  coercion,   or
instilling fear.  That's terrorism. That's  a fair enough  definition. I
think it is  reasonable to accept that. The problem is  that it can't be
accepted  because  if  you  accept  that,  all  the  wrong  consequences
follow.   For  example,   all  the   consequences  I   have   just  been
reviewing. Now  there is a major  effort right now  at the UN to  try to
develop a  comprehensive treaty  on terrorism. When  Kofi Annan  got the
Nobel prize  the other day,  you will notice  he was reported  as saying
that we should stop wasting time on this and really get down to it.

But there's a  problem. If you use the  official definition of terrorism
in the  comprehensive treaty you are  going to get  completely the wrong
results.  So that can't be done. In fact, it is even worse than that. If
you take  a look  at the  definition of Low  Intensity Warfare  which is
official US policy you find that it is a very close paraphrase of what I
just  read. In fact,  Low Intensity  Conflict is  just another  name for
terrorism. That's  why all  countries, as far  as I know,  call whatever
horrendous acts they  are carrying out, counter terrorism.  We happen to
call  it Counter  Insurgency  or  Low Intensity  Conflict.  So that's  a
serious problem.  You can't  use the actual  definitions. You've  got to
carefully   find  a  definition   that  doesn't   have  all   the  wrong
consequences.

There are some other problems. Some of them came up in December 1987, at
the peak of  the first war on terrorism, that's when  the furor over the
plague was  peaking. The United  Nations General Assembly passed  a very
strong  resolution  against  terrorism,  condemning the  plague  in  the
strongest terms,  calling on  every state to  fight against it  in every
possible   way.   It   passed   unanimously.   One   country,   Honduras
abstained.  Two  votes  against;   the  usual  two,  United  States  and
Israel. Why  should the  United States and  Israel vote against  a major
resolution condemning  terrorism in the strongest terms,  in fact pretty
much the terms that the  Reagan administration was using? Well, there is
a reason. There is one paragraph in that long resolution which says that
nothing in this resolution infringes  on the rights of people struggling
against racist and colonialist regimes or foreign military occupation to
continue  with their  resistance with  the assistance  of  others, other
states, states outside in their  just cause. Well, the United States and
Israel can't accept that. The main reason that they couldn't at the time
was because of South Africa. South Africa was an ally, officially called
an ally. There was a terrorist  force in South Africa. It was called the
African National Congress. They were a terrorist force officially. South
Africa in contrast was an ally and we certainly couldn't support actions
by a terrorist  group struggling against a racist  regime. That would be
impossible.

And  of  course  there  is  another one.  Namely  the  Israeli  occupied
territories, now  going into its  35th year. Supported primarily  by the
United  States in  blocking a  diplomatic settlement  for 30  years now,
still  is.  And  you can't  have  that.  There  is  another one  at  the
time. Israel  was occupying Southern  Lebanon and was being  combated by
what the US calls a  terrorist force, Hizbullah, which in fact succeeded
in driving Israel out of Lebanon.  And we can't allow anyone to struggle
against  a  military  occupation when  it  is  one  that we  support  so
therefore the US and Israel had  to vote against the major UN resolution
on  terrorism.  And I  mentioned  before  that  a US  vote  against...is
essentially a veto. Which is only half the story. It also vetoes it from
history. So none  of this was every reported and none  of it appeared in
the annals of terrorism. If you  look at the scholarly work on terrorism
and so on, nothing that I  just mentioned appears. The reason is that it
has got  the wrong people holding  the guns. You have  to carefully hone
the definitions and the scholarship and  so on so that you come out with
the right  conclusions; otherwise it is not  respectable scholarship and
honorable  journalism.  Well,  these  are  some  of  problems  that  are
hampering  the   effort  to  develop  a   comprehensive  treaty  against
terrorism. Maybe we  should have an academic conference  or something to
try to see if  we can figure out a way of  defining terrorism so that it
comes out with just the right answers, not the wrong answers. That won't
be easy.

Well, let's drop that and turn to the 4th question, What are the origins
of the September 11 crimes? Here we have to make a distinction between 2
categories which shouldn't be run  together. One is the actual agents of
the  crime, the  other is  kind  of a  reservoir of  at least  sympathy,
sometimes support  that they appeal to  even among people  who very much
oppose the criminals and the actions. And those are 2 different things.

Well, with  regard to the  perpetrators, in a  certain sense we  are not
really clear. The United States either is unable or unwilling to provide
any evidence, any meaningful evidence. There was a sort of a play a week
or two  ago when Tony  Blair was set  up to try  to present it.  I don't
exactly know  what the purpose of this  was. Maybe so that  the US could
look as though  it's holding back on some secret  evidence that it can't
reveal  or that  Tony Blair  could strike  proper Churchillian  poses or
something or other. Whatever the  PR [public relations] reasons were, he
gave a  presentation which was  in serious circles considered  so absurd
that  it was  barely even  mentioned. So  the Wall  Street  Journal, for
example, one of the more serious papers  had a small story on page 12, I
think, in  which they pointed out  that there was not  much evidence and
then they quoted  some high US official as saying  that it didn't matter
whether  there  was  any evidence  because  they  were  going to  do  it
anyway. So  why bother  with the evidence?  The more  ideological press,
like  the   New  York  Times   and  others,  they  had   big  front-page
headlines. But  the Wall Street  Journal reaction was reasonable  and if
you look  at the so-called  evidence you can  see why. But  let's assume
that it's  true. It is  astonishing to me  how weak the evidence  was. I
sort of thought  you could do better than  that without any intelligence
service [audience laughter].  In fact, remember this was  after weeks of
the  most intensive  investigation in  history of  all  the intelligence
services of the  western world working overtime trying  to put something
together.  And it was  a prima  facie, it  was a  very strong  case even
before you had anything. And it  ended up about where it started, with a
prima facie case. So let's assume that it is true. So let's assume that,
it  looked  obvious   the  first  day,  still  does,   that  the  actual
perpetrators come from the  radical Islamic, here called, fundamentalist
networks of  which the  bin Laden network  is undoubtedly  a significant
part. Whether they were involved  or not nobody knows. It doesn't really
matter much.

That's the background, those networks. Well, where do they come from? We
know all about that. Nobody knows about that better than the CIA because
it helped organize them and it  nurtured them for a long time. They were
brought together  in the 1980's actually  by the CIA  and its associates
elsewhere:  Pakistan, Britain,  France, Saudi  Arabia, Egypt,  China was
involved, they  may have  been involved a  little bit earlier,  maybe by
1978. The  idea  was   to  try  to  harass  the   Russians,  the  common
enemy.  According  to  President  Carter's  National  Security  Advisor,
Zbigniew Brzezinski, the  US got involved in mid  1979. Do you remember,
just to put the dates right, that Russia invaded Afghanistan in December
1979. Ok.  According to  Brzezinski, the  US support  for  the mojahedin
fighting against the government began 6 months earlier. He is very proud
of that.  He says  we drew the  Russians into,  in his words,  an Afghan
trap, by supporting the mojahedin,  getting them to invade, getting them
into the trap.  Now then we could develop  this terrific mercenary army.
Not a  small one,  maybe 100,000  men or so  bringing together  the best
killers they could find, who  were radical Islamist fanatics from around
North Africa,  Saudi Arabia....anywhere they could find  them. They were
often called  the Afghanis but  many of them,  like bin Laden,  were not
Afghans.  They   were  brought   by  the  CIA   and  its   friends  from
elsewhere.  Whether Brzezinski  is telling  the  truth or  not, I  don't
know. He  may have  been bragging,  he is apparently  very proud  of it,
knowing the  consequences incidentally. But maybe it's  true. We'll know
someday  if  the  documents  are  ever  released.   Anyway,  that's  his
perception. By  January 1980  it is not  even in  doubt that the  US was
organizing the Afghanis and this  massive military force to try to cause
the Russians maximal trouble. It  was a legitimate thing for the Afghans
to fight the  Russian invasion. But the US  intervention was not helping
the Afghans. In fact, it helped  destroy the country and much more.  The
Afghanis,  so called,  had  their  own...it did  force  the Russians  to
withdrew,  finally.  Although many  analysts  believe  that it  probably
delayed  their  withdrawal  because  they  were trying  to  get  out  of
it. Anyway, whatever, they did withdraw.

Meanwhile, the terrorist forces that the CIA was organizing, arming, and
training  were  pursuing  their  own  agenda,  right  away.  It  was  no
secret. One  of the first  acts was in  1981 when they  assassinated the
President  of Egypt,  who  was one  of  the most  enthusiastic of  their
creators. In  1983, one  suicide bomber,  who may or  may not  have been
connected,  it's pretty shadowy,  nobody knows.  But one  suicide bomber
drove the US  army-military out of Lebanon. And  it continued. They have
their own agenda.  The US was happy to mobilize them  to fight its cause
but meanwhile they are doing their own thing. They were clear very about
it.  After 1989,  when the  Russians had  withdrawn, they  simply turned
elsewhere.  Since then  they  have been  fighting  in Chechnya,  Western
China,  Bosnia, Kashmir,  South East  Asia, North  Africa, all  over the
place.

They are  telling us just  what they think.  The United States  wants to
silence the one  free television channel in the  Arab world because it's
broadcasting  a whole  range of  things from  Powell over  to  Osama bin
Laden. So the US is now joining the repressive regimes of the Arab world
that try to shut it up.  But if  you listen to it, if you listen to what
bin Laden says, it's worth it.  There is plenty of interviews. And there
are plenty of interviews by leading Western reporters, if you don't want
to listen to his own voice, Robert Fisk and others. And what he has been
saying is pretty  consistent for a long time. He's not  the only one but
maybe he  is the  most eloquent.  It's not only  consistent over  a long
time, it is consistent with their  actions.  So there is every reason to
take it seriously.  Their prime enemy is what they  call the corrupt and
oppressive authoritarian brutal  regimes of the Arab world  and when the
say that  they get quite a resonance  in the region.  They  also want to
defend   and  they   want   to  replace   them   by  properly   Islamist
governments. That's  where they  lose the people  of the region.  But up
till then,  they are  with them.  From their point  of view,  even Saudi
Arabia, the most  extreme fundamentalist state in the  world, I suppose,
short of  the Taliban,  which is an  offshoot, even that's  not Islamist
enough for them. Ok, at that point, they get very little support, but up
until that  point they get plenty  of support. Also they  want to defend
Muslims elsewhere.  They hate the Russians  like poison, but  as soon as
the  Russians  pulled out  of  Afghanistan,  they  stopped carrying  out
terrorist acts in Russia as they  had been doing with CIA backing before
that  within Russia,  not just  in Afghanistan.  They did  move  over to
Chechnya.  But  there  they  are  defending Muslims  against  a  Russian
invasion. Same with  all the other places I  mentioned. From their point
of view, they  are defending the Muslims against  the infidels. And they
are very clear about it and that is what they have been doing.

Now why  did they turn  against the United  States? Well that had  to do
with what  they call the  US invasion of  Saudi Arabia. In 1990,  the US
established permanent  military bases in  Saudi Arabia which  from their
point of view is comparable  to a Russian invasion of Afghanistan except
that Saudi Arabia is way more  important. That's the home of the holiest
sites of  Islam. And  that is when  their activities turned  against the
Unites States.  If you recall, in 1993  they tried to blow  up the World
Trade Center. Got  part of the way,  but not the whole way  and that was
only part of it. The plans were  to blow up the UN building, the Holland
and Lincoln tunnels, the FBI building.  I think there were others on the
list. Well, they sort  of got part way, but not all  the way. One person
who is jailed for that, finally, among the people who were jailed, was a
Egyptian cleric  who had  been brought into  the United States  over the
objections of the Immigration Service, thanks to the intervention of the
CIA which wanted  to help out their friend. A couple  years later he was
blowing  up the  World Trade  Center.  And this  has been  going on  all
over. I'm  not going to run  through the list  but it's, if you  want to
understand  it,  it's  consistent.   It's  a  consistent  picture.  It's
described in words. It's revealed in  practice for 20 years. There is no
reason not to  take it seriously. That's the  first category, the likely
perpetrators.

What about  the reservoir of  support? Well, it's  not hard to  find out
what that is.  One of the good things that  has happened since September
11 is  that some of the  press and some  of the discussion has  begun to
open up  to some of these  things. The best  one to my knowledge  is the
Wall Street  Journal which right away  began to run, within  a couple of
days, serious reports, searching serious reports, on the reasons why the
people  of the  region,  even though  they  hate bin  Laden and  despise
everything he is  doing, nevertheless support him in  many ways and even
regard him as the conscience of  Islam, as one said. Now the Wall Street
Journal  and others,  they are  not surveying  public opinion.  They are
surveying  the   opinion  of  their   friends:  bankers,  professionals,
international lawyers, businessmen tied to the United States, people who
they interview in MacDonalds  restaurant, which is an elegant restaurant
there,  wearing  fancy American  clothes.  That's  the  people they  are
interviewing because they want to find out what their attitudes are. And
their  attitudes are  very  explicit and  very  clear and  in many  ways
consonant with the message of bin  Laden and others. They are very angry
at the United States because  of its support of authoritarian and brutal
regimes;  its intervention  to  block any  move  towards democracy;  its
intervention to  stop economic development; its  policies of devastating
the civilian  societies of Iraq while strengthening  Saddam Hussein; and
they remember,  even if  we prefer  not to, that  the United  States and
Britain  supported Saddam  Hussein right  through his  worst atrocities,
including the gassing of the Kurds, bin Laden brings that up constantly,
and they know it even if we  don't want to.  And of course their support
for the Israeli military occupation which is harsh and brutal. It is now
in its 35th  year. The US has been  providing the overwhelming economic,
military, and diplomatic  support for it, and still  does. And they know
that and  they don't  like it.  Especially when that  is paired  with US
policy towards Iraq, towards the Iraqi civilian society which is getting
destroyed. Ok, those  are the reasons roughly. And  when bin Laden gives
those reasons, people recognize it and support it.

Now that's  not the  way people here  like to  think about it,  at least
educated liberal  opinion. They like  the following line which  has been
all over the press, mostly  from left liberals, incidentally. I have not
done a real study but I think right wing opinion has generally been more
honest. But if you look at say  at the New York Times at the first op-ed
they ran by Ronald Steel, serious left liberal intellectual. He asks Why
do they  hate us? This is  the same day,  I think, that the  Wall Street
Journal was  running the survey  on why they  hate us. So he  says "They
hate  us  because   we  champion  a  new  world   order  of  capitalism,
individualism,  secularism,  and  democracy  that  should  be  the  norm
everywhere."  That's why  they hate  us. The  same day  the  Wall Street
Journal   is   surveying  the   opinions   of  bankers,   professionals,
international  lawyers and  saying `look,  we hate  you because  you are
blocking  democracy, you  are preventing  economic development,  you are
supporting  brutal regimes, terrorist  regimes and  you are  doing these
horrible things in the region.'  A couple days later, Anthony Lewis, way
out on  the left,  explained that the  terrorist seek  only "apocalyptic
nihilism," nothing more and nothing  we do matters. The only consequence
of  our actions, he  says, that  could be  harmful is  that it  makes it
harder for Arabs  to join in the coalition's  anti-terrorism effort. But
beyond that, everything we do is irrelevant.

Well, you know, that's got the advantage of being sort of comforting. It
makes  you feel  good  about yourself,  and  how wonderful  you are.  It
enables us to evade the consequences  of our actions. It has a couple of
defects. One  is it is  at total variance  with everything we  know. And
another defect is  that it is a perfect way to  ensure that you escalate
the cycle of violence. If you want  to live with your head buried in the
sand and pretend they hate  us because they're opposed to globalization,
that's  why they killed  Sadat 20  years ago,  and fought  the Russians,
tried  to blow up  the World  Trade Center  in 1993.  And these  are all
people who  are in the midst  of ... corporate globalization  but if you
want to  believe that, yeh...comforting. And  it is a great  way to make
sure that violence escalates.  That's tribal violence. You did something
to me,  I'll do something  worse to you.  I don't care what  the reasons
are. We just keep going that way. And that's a way to do it. Pretty much
straight, left-liberal opinion.

What are the  policy options? Well, there are a  number. A narrow policy
option from  the beginning was  to follow the  advice of really  far out
radicals like the Pope [audience laughter]. The Vatican immediately said
look it's a  horrible terrorist crime. In the case of  crime, you try to
find  the perpetrators, you  bring them  to justice,  you try  them. You
don't  kill innocent civilians.  Like if  somebody robs  my house  and I
think the  guy who  did it  is probably in  the neighborhood  across the
street, I don't  go out with an assault rifle and  kill everyone in that
neighborhood. That's  not the  way you deal  with crime, whether  it's a
small crime  like this one or  really massive one like  the US terrorist
war against Nicaragua, even worse  ones and others in between. And there
are plenty  of precedents  for that. In  fact, I mentioned  a precedent,
Nicaragua, a lawful,  a law abiding state, that's  why presumably we had
to destroy  it, which followed the  right principles. Now  of course, it
didn't  get anywhere  because it  was running  up against  a  power that
wouldn't  allow lawful  procedures to  be  followed. But  if the  United
States tried to  pursue them, nobody would stop  them. In fact, everyone
would applaud. And there are plenty of other precedents.

When the IRA set off bombs  in London, which is pretty serious business,
Britain could  have, apart from the  fact that it  was unfeasible, let's
put that aside, one possible  response would have been to destroy Boston
which is the source of most of  the financing. And of course to wipe out
West  Belfast.  Well,  you know,  quite apart  from the  feasibility, it
would have been criminal idiocy. The way to deal with it was pretty much
what they did. You know, find the perpetrators; bring them to trial; and
look  for  the  reasons.   Because   these  things  don't  come  out  of
nowhere. They come from something.  Whether it is a crime in the streets
or a  monstrous terrorist crime  or anything else. There's  reasons. And
usually if  you look  at the  reasons, some of  them are  legitimate and
ought  to be addressed,  independently of  the crime,  they ought  to be
addressed because they  are legitimate. And that's the  way to deal with
it. There are many such examples.

But there are problems with that.  One problem is that the United States
does not recognize the jurisdiction of international institutions. So it
can't  go  to  them. It  has  rejected  the  jurisdiction of  the  World
Court. It has refused to  ratify the International Criminal Court. It is
powerful enough to set up a new  court if it wants so that wouldn't stop
anything. But  there is a problem with  any kind of a  court, mainly you
need  evidence. You  go to  any kind  of court,  you need  some  kind of
evidence. Not Tony Blair talking about it on television. And that's very
hard. It may be impossible to find.

You   know,  it  could   be  that   the  people   who  did   it,  killed
themselves.  Nobody   knows  this  better   than  the  CIA.   These  are
decentralized, nonhierarchic  networks. They follow a  principle that is
called  Leaderless  Resistance.   That's  the principle  that  has  been
developed by the  Christian Right terrorists in the  United States. It's
called Leaderless Resistance. You have small groups that do things. They
don't talk  to anybody else.  There is a  kind of general  background of
assumptions and then you do it. Actually people in the anti war movement
are very  familiar with it. We used  to call it affinity  groups. If you
assume correctly that  whatever group you are in  is being penetrated by
the  FBI, when  something serious  is happening,  you don't  do it  in a
meeting. You  do it  with some  people you know  and trust,  an affinity
group and then it doesn't get  penetrated. That's one of the reasons why
the FBI has never been able to  figure out what's going on in any of the
popular movements.  And other intelligence  agencies are the  same. They
can't.    That's   leaderless  resistance   or   affinity  groups,   and
decentralized networks  are extremely hard to penetrate.  And it's quite
possible  that they  just don't  know. When  Osama bin  Laden  claims he
wasn't involved, that's entirely possible.  In fact, it's pretty hard to
imagine how  a guy  in a cave  in Afghanistan,  who doesn't even  have a
radio or a telephone could have planned a highly sophisticated operation
like that. Chances are it's part of the background. You know, like other
leaderless resistance  terrorist groups.  Which  means it's going  to be
extremely difficult to find evidence.

And the US doesn't want to  present evidence because it wants to be able
to  do  it, to  act  without  evidence. That's  a  crucial  part of  the
reaction. You will  notice that the US did not  ask for Security Council
authorization which they  probably could have gotten this  time, not for
pretty reasons, but because the  other permanent members of the Security
Council are  also terrorist states. They  are happy to  join a coalition
against  what  they  call  terror,   namely  in  support  of  their  own
terror.  Like Russia  wasn't going  to  veto, they  love it.  So the  US
probably could have gotten  Security Council authorization but it didn't
want  it. And  it  didn't want  it  because it  follows a  long-standing
principle  which is  not George  Bush, it  was explicit  in  the Clinton
administration, articulated and goes back  much further and that is that
we  have the  right to  act  unilaterally. We  don't want  international
authorization because  we act unilaterally  and therefore we  don't want
it. We  don't care about evidence.  We don't care  about negotiation. We
don't care about treaties. We are the strongest guy around; the toughest
thug on the block. We do what  we want. Authorization is a bad thing and
therefore must be avoided. There is  even a name for it in the technical
literature. It's called establishing  credibility. You have to establish
credibility. That's  an important  factor in many  policies. It  was the
official reason given for the war  in the Balkans and the most plausible
reason.

You  want  to know  what  credibility  means,  ask your  favorite  Mafia
Don. He'll explain  to you what credibility means. And  it's the same in
international affairs,  except it's  talked about in  universities using
big  words,  and  that  sort  of  thing. But  it's  basically  the  same
principle. And it makes sense.  And it usually works. The main historian
who has  written about this  in the last  couple years is  Charles Tilly
with a book called Coercion, Capital, and European States. He points out
that violence has  been the leading principle of  Europe for hundreds of
years  and  the  reason  is  because  it  works.  You  know,  it's  very
reasonable.  It  almost always  works.  When  you  have an  overwhelming
predominance  of violence  and  a  culture of  violence  behind it.   So
therefore it makes  sense to follow it. Well, those  are all problems in
pursuing lawful  paths. And if you  did try to follow  them you'd really
open  some very  dangerous  doors. Like  the  US is  demanding that  the
Taliban hand  over Osama  bin Laden.  And they are  responding in  a way
which is regarded  as totally absurd and outlandish  in the west, namely
they are saying, Ok, but first  give us some evidence. In the west, that
is considered ludicrous. It's a  sign of their criminality. How can they
ask for evidence? I mean if somebody asked us to hand someone over, we'd
do it tomorrow. We wouldn't ask for any evidence. [crowd laughter].

In fact it is easy to prove that. We don't have to make up cases. So for
example,  for the  last several  years,  Haiti has  been requesting  the
United States to  extradite Emmanuel Constant. He is  a major killer. He
is one  of the leading  figures in the  slaughter of maybe 4000  or 5000
people in the  years in the mid 1990's, under  the military junta, which
incidentally was  being, not so tacitly,  supported by the  Bush and the
Clinton administrations  contrary to illusions.  Anyway he is  a leading
killer. They have plenty of  evidence. No problem about evidence. He has
already been brought to trial and sentenced in Haiti and they are asking
the  United  States  to  turn  him  over.  Well,  I  mean  do  your  own
research. See how much discussion there has been of that. Actually Haiti
renewed the request a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't even mentioned. Why
should we turn  over a convicted killer who  was largely responsible for
killing 4000 or  5000 people a couple  of years ago.  In fact,  if we do
turn him over, who knows what he  would say. Maybe he'll say that he was
being funded  and helped by the  CIA, which is probably  true.  We don't
want to open that door. And he is not he only one.

I mean, for the last about  15 years, Costa Rica which is the democratic
prize, has  been trying  to get the  United States  to hand over  a John
Hull, a  US land  owner in  Costa Rica, who  they charge  with terrorist
crimes. He was  using his land, they claim with good  evidence as a base
for  the  US  war  against  Nicaragua,  which  is  not  a  controversial
conclusion,  remember. There  is the  World Court  and  Security Council
behind it. So they have been trying to get the United States to hand him
over. Hear about that one ?  No.

They did  actually confiscate the  land of another  American landholder,
John   Hamilton.  Paid  compensation,   offered  compensation.   The  US
refused. Turned his land over into  a national park because his land was
also being  used as a  base for the  US attack against  Nicaragua. Costa
Rica  was punished  for  that  one. They  were  punished by  withholding
aid. We  don't accept that kind  of insubordination from  allies. And we
can go on. If you open  the door to questions about extradition it leads
in very unpleasant directions. So that can't be done.

Well, what about the reactions in Afghanistan. The initial proposal, the
initial rhetoric was for a  massive assault which would kill many people
visibly and  also an attack on  other countries in the  region. Well the
Bush administration wisely backed off from that. They were being told by
every foreign leader, NATO,  everyone else, every specialist, I suppose,
their own intelligence  agencies that that would be  the stupidest thing
they  could possibly  do. It  would  simply be  like opening  recruiting
offices  for bin  Laden  all over  the  region. That's  exactly what  he
wants. And it would be extremely harmful to their own interests. So they
backed off  that one. And they  are turning to what  I described earlier
which is a kind of silent genocide. It's a.... well, I already said what
I think about  it. I don't think  anything more has to be  said. You can
figure it out if you do the arithmetic.

A sensible proposal  which is kind of on the  verge of being considered,
but it has  been sensible all along, and it is  being raised, called for
by expatriate Afghans and allegedly  tribal leaders internally, is for a
UN initiative,  which would keep the  Russians and Americans  out of it,
totally.   These are  the 2  countries that  have practically  wiped the
country out in the last 20 years.  They should be out of it. They should
provide massive reparations. But that's their only role. A UN initiative
to  bring  together  elements  within  Afghanistan  that  would  try  to
construct something from the  wreckage. It's conceivable that that could
work, with plenty  of support and no interference. If  the US insists on
running it, we  might as well quit. We have a  historical record on that
one.

You  will notice  that the  name of  this operation....remember  that at
first it was going  to be a Crusade but they backed  off that because PR
(public relations)  agents told them  that that wouldn't  work [audience
laughter]. And  then it  was going  to be Infinite  Justice, but  the PR
agents said, wait  a minute, you are sounding like  you are divinity. So
that wouldn't work. And then it was changed to enduring freedom. We know
what that means. But nobody has yet pointed out, fortunately, that there
is   an  ambiguity  there.   To  endure   means  to   suffer.  [audience
laughter]. And  a there are plenty  of people around the  world who have
endured  what  we  call  freedom.  Again, fortunately  we  have  a  very
well-behaved  educated  class  so   nobody  has  yet  pointed  out  this
ambiguity.  But  if its  done  there will  be  another  problem to  deal
with.  But  if  we can  back  off  enough  so  that  some more  or  less
independent agency, maybe the UN, maybe credible NGO's (non governmental
organizations) can take the lead in trying to reconstruct something from
the wreckage,  with plenty  of assistance  and we owe  it to  them. Them
maybe something would come out. Beyond that, there are other problems.

We certainly want to reduce  the level of terror, certainly not escalate
it.   There is  one  easy  way to  do  that and  therefore  it is  never
discussed.  Namely stop  participating in  it. That  would automatically
reduce the level of terror  enormously. But that you can't discuss. Well
we ought to  make it possible to  discuss it. So that's one  easy way to
reduce the level of terror.

Beyond that, we should rethink the kinds of policies, and Afghanistan is
not the only one, in which  we organize and train terrorist armies. That
has effects. We're  seeing some of these effects  now. September 11th is
one.  Rethink it.

Rethink the policies  that are creating a reservoir  of support. Exactly
what the  bankers, lawyers  and so  on are saying  in places  like Saudi
Arabia. On the streets it's much more bitter, as you can imagine. That's
possible. You know, those policies aren't graven in stone.

And further more there are opportunities. It's hard to find many rays of
light in the  last couple of weeks but  one of them is that  there is an
increased  openness. Lots  of issues  are open  for discussion,  even in
elite  circles, certainly  among the  general  public, that  were not  a
couple  of  weeks  ago. That's  dramatically  the  case.  I mean,  if  a
newspaper like USA Today can run a very good article, a serious article,
on  life in  the Gaza  Strip...there  has been  a change.  The things  I
mentioned  in the  Wall Street  Journal...that's change.  And  among the
general public, I  think there is much more  openness and willingness to
think  about  things that  were  under  the rug  and  so  on. These  are
opportunities and they should be used, at least by people who accept the
goal of  trying to  reduce the level  of violence and  terror, including
potential  threats  that  are  extremely  severe  and  could  make  even
September 11th pale into insignificance. Thanks.

--
ragOO, VU2RGU   http://gnuhead.net.dhis.org/ GPG: 1024D/F1624A6E
       Helping to keep the  Air-Waves FREE         Amateur Radio