[Reader-list] Notes from the court-1

zamrooda zamrooda at sarai.net
Wed Jan 16 16:04:39 IST 2002

Dear friends,
This is the begining of a series of writtings on the daily events of the
court and the life around it.
We would love to recieve any inputs or ideas or any similar writtings.
Enjoy.

As I pulled into the parking lot I could not but notice the stillness in the
air. The day was lined with the grimness of the grey colour of the sky. I sat
in the car  in the anticipation of something to happen. Traffic whizzed
passed me on the Purana Quila Road. I was catching the attention of the few
people around the premises. I wonder what is on their minds. How they are
taking to my presence  in the parking lot so early in the morning. The
stillness of that moment is  uncanny as I know  that in the next hour one
will not  be able to relate to this emptiness to this very space.

Sweepers are moving around with their large brooms raising early morning
dust. The place resembles a fair ground from which the circus has moved on.
Gives one an idea of the number of people visiting the premises each day.

People strolled into the building entering into the stillness of the morning.
One or two mummers, a loud shout, opening of the small tea stall. Car honking
for the barricade to be raised. People peering into my car,questions written
on their faces. Cars, two Wheeler's, auto's and cycles steadily increasing in
number. The parking attendants trying to maintain some order in the parking
lot and miraculously able to do so.

Hoarding displaying names of  advocates are visible in the parking. Advocate
Kanta Ram, chamber 25; Advocate Divender Nath, chamber 82; and so on. Not so
surprisingly women advocates do not figure out in these hoarding. But the eye
catches the words:                  BEWARE OF TOUTS
                  CONTACT YOUR ADVOCATE DIRECTLY
a warning which today has become a part of all government offices. Whether it
is the this notice or something else but surely when I walked into the
building I was not hounded by the middle men as I had expected.

Moving slowly into the building my attention was drawn to a group of women
gathered together in the park. As I approached them I was taken aback by what
I saw. This was a group of beggars getting ready for their days work. The
deity was cleaned and garlanded to attract the devotees visiting the court. A
woman was applying mud on the face of her pretty child to make her look
vulnerable. Clothes were being  adjusted to suit the mood.

A look around the place had a similar story to tell.  Tea vendors were busy
brewing the morning tea. Young boys adjusting cups in the baskets. What if
few months back the same courts had passed the verdict that Right to
Education is a Fundamental Right. People have to survive and for survival
work is imperative. The seven to eight food stalls cleaning their individual
premises for the day. The water machines being rescued from their corners for
 the days work. Change in season brings in new vendors. Mungfali walas are
busy weighing their goodies to fit into the small paper bags. Security men
are swarming the premises performing their morning rounds before the court
sets in for the day.

People are gathered in groups all over,  workers of the court to clients each
one  busy discussing the days proceedings. As you float around you will get
to hear snippets of different cases, and the different events that are likely
to happen during the day.

Lawyers have the  privilege of parking their vehicles inside the premises and
one witnesses the most fascinating site in this parking lot. Invariable you
will catch lawyers struggling with their attire. The most common site is the
struggle with the collar.  Similar to a  man's struggle with his tie. Wonder
if collars have something to do with the term  white collar job. The coat the
collar wonder why we never gave up the British dress code for the court. If I
am not wrong their was a talk some time back. Guess with so much happening in
the court no one has the time for this little irritant.

There definitely is a  change in the scenario where the old and the young
generation lawyers are concerned. Over the years the belief that a well
dressed lawyer signifies an incompetent lawyer is slowly fading. Its almost a
breath of fresh air to see the younger generation lawyers with cheerful faces
and good attire. In the morbidity of black and white resembling a cemetery
this new look makes the place approachable which is a lot for a place that
one dreads to step in unless forced to do so....

The court authorities have tried their best to organise the place. From
parking slots to vendors to chambers of the Lawyers all have their allotted
corners. There are sighs  directing vehicles in the parking lot only one has
forgotten to co-ordinate the directions. Its a miracle that there is not a
chaos. Or maybe people  park oblivious to the sighs. For if one followed the
sighs one will never be able to leave the premise.

One noticeable thing is the listing of the Advocates practicing in the court.
Gives some meaning to the notice asking people to beware of touts.

Notices do not end with legal information, no you can enjoy the privilege of
shopping through the notice board of the court....which is nothing other than
the back wall of the building.
I was amazingly surprised by a list of items with their prices pasted up on
the wall. The notice caught my attention as I imagined it to be a legal
notice. Was I underestimating the usage of notices ? Here was a classical
example.....

It was time for me to leave and as I was moving out I could not but notice
the chaos outside.......A police patrol car  parked on the opposite side of
the road added to the building confusion on the road. Traffic was swelling in
numbers and the car became a hindrance to the free flowing traffic. Not a
word was said but irritation was visible on peoples faces. In this building
confusion, chaos was added by people in quest of self importance not willing
to descend from their big expensive cars anywhere else but at the front gate.
Traffic comes to a stand still as by this time there are cars parked on both
sides of the road leaving little space for vehicles to maneuver around. By
nine forty five in the morning Purana Quila road is a road to avoid unless
one has work in Patiala House Court!