[Reader-list] (no subject)

Rahul Jindal rahulj at glide.net.in
Sun May 5 17:47:41 IST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Zainab Bawa" <coolzanny at hotmail.com>
To: <reader-list at sarai.net>
Sent: Saturday, May 04, 2002 1:02 PM
Subject: Re: [Reader-list] (no subject)

[SNIP]

> take up arms use training. Ekta Kapoor with her 'fantastic' serials like
> Saas bhi kabhi, Kahani, etc. is subtly propagating a 'Hindu' culture which
> am becoming very wary of. There are Ramayan readings in the dark corners
of
> Western Suburbs at mid-nights. One wonders the motivation behind all of
> this. Isn't it too obvious, too sinister?!?!?!

Dear Zainab,

Though I subscribe to almost all you say, but I have some objections
regarding the above.

I mean imagine a house being shown in a serial and has no religion or
rather, mostly seen in "comedies", a place having members from all the
communities.

If its a story about a hindu family, then there have to hindu customs being
depicted, what is the problem with that?

Though I don't like any of her serials due to an overdose of sentimentality
but depicting a hindu culture is not incorrect.

Also digressing a bit, I have observed a very amusing trend in American
movies / serial / music videos : One that of having a lot of people of Asian
Origin (very rarely Indians, so you know what I mean), first it was the
american-africans now the asians, talk of american way of subtle
imperialism.
Since this is NOT something many people would relish and would seem "fake"
just as american wrestling (popularly WWF) is, I think NOT showing hindu
customs and stuff would be a bit boring to the audience.

I've seen people enjoy serials like Amanat (I'm not sure if I have the right
name but its on Zee) that have an ample cast playing a Muslim family and
some more serials that have inter-religion affairs and stuff, so I think its
all okay.

Ramayan readings, secondly should not be a cause of concern, after all its
very natural for a hindu to be reading a religious book for the Hindus.

You might just not find it "interesting" enough but calling it _sinister_ is
NOT AT ALL justified. We should not see reading of Ramayan as indicating
harm, just as we should NOT attribute violence and only hatred to madrassas.
Hindu religious schools are few and "hindu terrorists" coming out of schools
haven't been heard of (or not that commonly visible).

Finally, the fascists may be using the Religion as a way to divide, though
not the religious teachings. I don't believe (though I may be incorrect)
that there are concepts analogous to "Kafir" and others in Ramayana.

<ludicrous>
Ramayana is more than two arrows colliding and producing colorful show as in
BR Chopra's mega serial
</ludicrous>

In the end it all falls back to my unfledged self.

Cheers
Rahul