[Reader-list] Zachie:Writers wanted, readers needed

Dr. Reyhan Chaudhuri reyhanchaudhuri at eth.net
Thu Nov 7 13:21:51 IST 2002

 Dear Reader,
It may seem frivolous and irrelevant that when there is much mayhem and
anarchy around the country, vocational teachers dabble in poetry workshops
at the South Delhi Polytechnic for Women/Lajpat Nagar-IV. Plus one of them
to describe it at length. .However I was told right in the beginning, that
the Sarai is supposed to welcome all walks of wayfarers.
We also do already know people soaked in misguided poetry do not always
remain peace-loving ( eg: the quasi-patriotic)  and have known to murder
each other However maybe that is the sort of distraction that eventually
works or contributes in some way to life..  .
In spite of the above explanation if you still feel dear reader-list member
that: this matter is trite & inconsequential, you can always just press the
button to delete.
Before I begin the above maybe I ought to give some background on what lead
to the workshop.:-

 Every year on the directions of our dear Director the staff at the South
Delhi Polytechnic for Women are given a book to read for the summer
holidays. Our Director generally instructs us at the Literary cell:To choose
a book that is as unrelated as possible to our specific vocational courses
during term time. This is in order to (in her own words): "To promote
lateral thinking and not vegetate or stagnate in our respective fields.."
            Then when we come back for the new term we have a workshop where
we all proclaim our viewpoints, clarify our doubts and also deal with
different individual reactions. Before this towards the end of the holidays,
a set of question or 'H.W.' is given to ensure that we have all read the
book and not been malingerers.
            In the past we have had Victorian novellas to portions of
historic tracts (which later culminated into a very artistic exhibition and
was subsequently acquired by the tourism department). Last year we had a
thought provoking or ponderous tome (depending on the way you looked at it)
on the new digital media. This year 2002 however we decided to be really
adventurous and chose pieces of poetry from all over the world, as our
summer assignment.It was titled: Put a bit of poetry in your Pallu.
                (The H.W this time included:-
Q:2(b) that required at least one poem by a poet not already in the summer
assignment, which the staff member felt was really an important poem in
their life.
Q:5 To write a poem on any subject/theme/topic and in any
format/tone/language. It was also indicated that the poem need not posess
conventional rhyme.
(The above two answers were later compiled into a book in spiral bind.The
pages on the left hand side were left blank with the idea that over the
years the staff member could continue making  additions interesting or
important to them;)
So here goes:--
REFLUXIVE REMENISCENCES FROM A POETRY WORKSHOP FOR ACADEMIC STAFF OTHERWISE
OCCUPIED/IMMERSED IN VOCATIONAL EDUCATION.
Dear Poetic Colleagues,
 The Litt. Cell took great satisfaction in finding the workshop commenced,
cantered and concluded successfully sans hurdles or hiccups.
Unlike previous occasions in the past, this was not a simple lecture. A
languorous lecture where we laboriously soaked in nuggets, took down notes
and went away. Nor was it a seminar, where there is an additional
interactive discussion with the Q & Ans. session. A workshop is where you
learn new techniques and not merely listen to concepts. We have to
demonstrate them in some way to ensure that they have been acquired.
EG: A rural-surgery workshop ,(which this Litt. Cell member had the good
fortune to attend) in Sewagram / Wardha, a few years ago. There we watched
operative surgery or did it, consequently we talked and wrote a paper on it.
There were actual in-house OR in-OT lessons and exercises;
This time round too (to the satisfaction of our conscience) it seemed a
'real workshop' as we all ended up becoming poets for a brief (?!) point in
time by writing a poem and also learning new literary techniques like
translation. The larger benefit was of course the richer esoteric one.

ON THE FIRST DAY we had Ashok Chakradhar inaugurate our workshop. He
inaugurated it by pinning the summer assignment on a FD dept. mannequin
(Kindly loaned by our principal Mrs.Saith,).The mannequin had prior to this
been beautifully draped by Geetha Nayyar and Honey Sally. Mrs.Burman, our
beloved Hostel Warden, mincing no words lent us a blue tangail sari for the
honours.("Dekho, isko theek se lagaana.Main dhuli hui, istri wali, dey rahi
hoon .haan;" The mannequin ,a symbol of the typical Poly teacher continued
to stand beside us throughout the three days.
Ashok Ji actually was a tremendous hit with everyone by being a rare
raconteur. He swiftly swept everyone off their feet by his rhetoric, songs
and recitations.
The Litt. Cell however& Upasana Kapoor (who very kindly went to fetch and
receive him) missed a heartbeat and thought for a moment that he may never
make it , past our Dear Director's office. His tactile choice of words upon
entering the campus were unexpected by any standards! Fortunately our
Director let us off with a freezing look and deemed it as the guest poet's
poetic license.
He was hurriedly ushered into the auditorium by us, where the famished staff
quickly began 'pet pooja'.. Vocational Education may not make you hungry but
vocational teaching must make you famished; We have sound proof of that, as
many staff members were ready to pounce on the food even before the Chief
guest's arrival. In fact one teacher came up to us (much to our
predicament!), to enquire if they could commence eating or was it necessary
to wait for him! No innenduo intended, as a hearty appetite is often a sign
of good health, so say the Holistic Health wallahs.
As said before, his was a riveting overture of rapid verbosity that touched
all the senses. He also sang a Baul song. Our Litt.Incharge who had done her
H.W. (taking even him by surprise) prodded him to share the fact that he
kept a 'Karwa chauth ka vrat".  "Kya Sir,apke bhi husband hain kya?"
Indeed quoting Bob Dylan,' the times are a 'changin' as later to our chagrin
, some of the staff confided to us that, "Ma'am we thought it was going to
be a declaration on homosexuality." Fortunately it was nothing of the sort
and an explanation followed of far loftier ideals. His marriage being a true
partnership, both the spouses often interchanged roles. Hence the need and
equal desire arose of keeping the fast.. He also shared a lovely story with
us on how he had worn a sari in the past.(This was when Geetha helped him to
pin up the poetry upon the pallu. She explained he may need her assistance
as he did not wear saris;.)
He expostulated how happy it was to find that our logo was also in the shape
of a 'chakradhar' He gave a vivid interpretation of what he discerned by it
and what it symbolised according to him, for Vocational Education at the
Poly.(Incidentally in answer to queries, the logo was designed single handed
by Mrs. Ashima Chaudhuri in 1967.)
The conclusion of the first day' is imprinted in our memory as the excited
staff transformed into a swooning mass of stage-struck fans , who mobbed him
for autographs.
It must be mentioned his visit marked the perfect glimpse of a true working
poet. As in the Director's office he was requested to sign on the Visitor's
Book by Pratibha Kaul. The pages are in serial order and by some quirk of
fate his page was a bit tousled. (The previous writer may have hastily shut
the tome.) This could obviously not have been pre-rehearsed.Within minutes
he scribbled a poem upon it. We are rewriting it below in order to share it
with all of you. Amazing!
Jaise kaagaz sikudh jaata hain,kabhie kabhie
Aise hi waqt bhi.
Waqt sikud kar ho jaata hain
Saqt bhi
Par yaha mili komal bhavnayein,
Meri anant shubhkamnayein

THE SECOND DAY: saw Guest Poets: Prayag Shukla and Shama Futehally sailing
in. Murphy's law was working overtime because that day the guests arrived
but the food had not been served on the 'Dawat-e- mez'.(As opposed to the
first day when the piping hot eats were on the table but the guest was yet
to come;)Three cheers for our Director as navrathri vrats were on. Many of
our lovely colleagues could not sample the wares, as certain foods are
forbidden in this particular fast. She however arranged thoughtfully for
extra fruits and two luncheon dishes for the same. Finally however everyone
was burped and sated to proceed to the stage lecture hall.
 This day may not have been as hilarious or in terms of entertainment value,
our guests did not play to the gallery. However there was equal fervour and
feeling in terms of depth and thought content. They both talked about the
awesome task of translating poetry.
Shama Futehally gave us an interesting illustration and the complication of
translating a simple sentence: This is a table .In Hindustani could we
really say:'Yeh mez hain'? As mez is associated with a mezban. It connotes a
hospitable and genial host and may denote a table laden with  cutlery and
sumptuous foods fit for a feast. Hence in N.India we may have the word
'table' absorbed into our lingua franca, when we mean a work-table or 'mere
kaam karne ka table'.
She went onto elaborate, most translators therefore stress upon either of
the two things. One either attempt to keep the lilt and rhythm of the stanza
and the broader imagined or emanating connotations. Or to be technically
reliable and attempt ad verbatim translation in the new language. She
explained how the latter effort may not be always the most popular one. She
gave the example of Fitzgerald's transl. of The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam. He
tried to keep while translating, the luxuriant tone and rhythm of the
poetry. There were subsequently a lot of other poet translators (perhaps
more adept in the Persian language) who objected that Fitzgerald in his try
for rhythm and ambience had completely obliterated the original meaning of
the verses. However the near-technical or literary translations even today
are hardly read, while in the new millennium Fitzgerald's version is reread
and reprinted;
She then shared relevant vignettes from the very poem in our assignment.
Gave an example of an American, A.J.Holstrom who had translated the same
poem and compared it to hers. That was indeed a privilege. We seemed to be
right inside her mind.The role of a complicated and responsible translator.
No easy task that.
The other important thought for the Litt.cell was her viewpoint on: Making
the effort to imbibe other worlds into her own. Thereby enlarge her
immediate orbit. She explained that Mirabai did not really belong to her
world nor her childhood of anglicised upbringing. Where English or Urdu was
spoken and the convent school gave her a bleak Hindi education. It was only
when she heard much later, as a young adult Mirabai's songs sung by
M.S.SubbaLakshmi, that something stirred within her. She was driven by a an
inexplicable urge to make them a part of her world and also bring it to
others.
Incidentally for those who do not know, her translations /compilations have
been published as :"Songs of Mira" by the eminent: Society of Religious
Literature, based in London and are available in paperback. We shall also be
putting a few copies in our library, as soon as possible. Do dip into them.
This is especially for our younger staff. As all are not divine
nature-study. Some are really romantic!
Prayag Shukla, the grand old man was the absolute gentleman. It was evident
to all us, by his soft voice, peaceful persona that we had the good fortune
to have a poet and a deep literary one at that amid us. Mr.Bannerji (who was
instrumental in arranging his visit) described him also as one of our senior
most and beloved art critics. Interesting! We thought critics in any medium
are rarely beloved. Their victims always eye them with a jaundiced look.
Also how many art critics must there be in India who excel in both poetry
and art critiques?
Prayag Ji began by expressing his happiness upon opening our Summer
assignment. As he saw we had begun with the poems of the Mexican poet:
Octavio Paz. He informed us that he had done with great pleasure their
'Hindi Anuvad' .(We shall again be procuring copies of the same, for your
perusal at our library.)
He informed us that contrary to common belief there are now numerous
translations available from the bhashas (regional languages) into our
vernacular, He has often lost himself in other bhashas ,like Oriya, at the
cost of his own new Hindi poetry. Gyanpith, NBT and Sahitya Academy have all
done phenomenal effort in this respect within the last two decades.
He also reminded us that we were one of the most poetic or poetry-loving
nations in the world. People forget that all film songs are poems in the
guise of lyrics. They are hummed and sung by Indians from all walks of like.
He insisted none of us ought to shy out of creating poems. As some of the
memorable poems in his mind have been of mundane tasks. EG: In Pandav lipi
,a simple housewife who wrote delicious poems on :'Vyanjan pakaney ki
vidhiyan'.
He then had Mr. Bannerji recite certain particular poems of Tagore from
Gitanjali.(He has translated 103 poems from Bengali of R.Tagore.) He then
explained his sincere attempts to keep the chand and chavi, without
obliterating the essential meaning. The famous sonnet from Gitanajali and
well known line: Into this freedom my Father let my country awake, Shukla Ji
translates beautifully as:
   Usi swarga mein jaagey desh hamara
                He was actually the epitome of consideration. As he would
pause every now and then to glance at the time, gently assuring us that he
would not speak a second beyond the decided time. In fact one of the
Litt.cell members had to finally reassure him that we were the Poly teachers
and not the students. We did not scram as soon as the bell went. A minute
here or there was immaterial to us as compared to the privilege of hearing
him out.
                He also shared moments from his journeys around the world.
How his misplaced choices of spending precious foreign exchange on books
(that could have been obtained at a garage sale at a 3rd of the cost) rather
than phoren gadgets, irked his friends. However the pleasure and
transformation inside him more than compensated for the squander. At this
stage in his life he may not have built a bungalow or acquired material
success. However his heart told him he had lived life richly. We finally
heard the proverbial poet as virtuoso in virtuality.
Perhaps the most telling remark that he left us on poetry with, was: "Usko
mere khayal se, Pallu mein na daaliye.Who phisal sakthey hain. Place them
far deeper."
        We ended with an exercise issued to all the participants. They had
to translate any poem (since all staff members are bilingual) in the
assignment or in the spiral book distributed. They had to submit it by the
end of the final day of the workshop viz:2:30. pm.,11th of
Oct,2002.Certificates of Participation would only be strictly issued to
those who attended all the three days and submitted  this translation task,
in time. The final line caused a lot of snickers and guffaws;

THE THIRD DAY: We started on a ribald note with the Litt.Incharge explaining
with graphic props the hazards of too much poetry. How it peeled off the
layers of your skin. And then (with anatomical photographs)vivid
explanations on how you would look sans skin. The possibility of even
complete disintegration of the being, if it was made into a sole
profession,. No, far safer to be a Polytechnic teacher who happens to read
poetry only on the side. Some participants half pretended to leave, saying
this workshop could be dangerous! They were pacified and reassured amid
merriment.
            We then had: Amrita Pritam's son: Mr.Shaili Kwatra. Amrita
Pritam has been and is a special favourite of a large number of staff, many
of whom read her in original Punjabi .Her son explained that she had
fractured her hip bone and hence was not mobile enough to travel yet. Mr
.Kwatra himself looked none too fit with an apparent back problem. This made
us all especially grateful for his guest appearance to our workshop. He
seemed familiar to many of us having given visiting lectures in the Media
deptt. Another staff member had been a classmate of his from his college
days in Baroda.
            Meera Bedi with great fluency and feeling read a poem of Amrita
Ji on childhood, from an 70 yr. old book belonging to her mother-in-law.
Thank you Meera. She then on request tried to explain the lines. Most of the
married female staff could relate to that and were deeply moved. This was
followed by Monica's rendering of some other selections in Hindi and Kwatra
Ji's interpretations. There were personal enquiries from the staff on
when/where she wrote them. Did she approve of the translated versions? Mr.
Shaili told us that his mother's poems were directly taken from 'life'. He
confessed that perhaps that is why he did not like to recite them, being too
close home for him.
This was followed by a wonderful hour of poetry recitations by our senior
staff. Mrs. Kshama Mehra recited her own poems including Poly express:
Chalti ki naam gadhi and Saat Rang with great enthusiasm that seemed visibly
infectious with the audience.
Mr.Bannerji sprouted in his mother tongue two poems: The last poem of
Tagore: Shesher Kobita and the other was a contemporary one on Computers.
Meena Dutta Gupta in her elegant voice gently admonished us for our
uncertainty towards 'poetry as a way of life'. She in fact yearned for all
the ways to Delhi, to be named after: poets, artists and musicians and not
mere politicians and city councillors. Our children should be soaked in
culture so that it becomes a way of life...
Anju Sharma was also given a chance despite the paucity of time to recite
her poem : Ghotala. The Litt.Incharge explained Anju has been a special
case,. It is not mandatory for the Adminstrative Staff to do the Assignment
or submit the holiday H.W. She had however volunteered on her own wish and
will. Plus submitted with great alacrity the H.W. Mrs.Krishna Gupta
intervened that, ".But the Administrative Staff are very busy, they run
everything. A Holistic Health staff member quipped, "No Madam, we run too.
We are from the only really running department!"
                Mr. Battish our HOD from Commercial Art was coaxed to also
come to the mic. Not because he & his team had done fantastic effort, over
the illustrations of the poetry posters He was actually one of our few
bearded staff members who resemble the stereotyped image of a poet. There
was a lots of giggling and laughter by everyone during his recitation. He
aped with great finesse the dishevelled, absentminded, lost poet. The
compere underlined it by saying, "Sir the poem was good. However the drama
and theatrics were even better."
We ended finally with Mr.Kwatra regaling us with passages and the storyline
of his latest comedy novel, out in Hindi.
__________________________________________________________________________Te
n TEN DAYS LATER another book was compiled ,which had everyone's workshop
exercise.That is amazing translations done by everyone accompanied on the
side with the poem that was translated.Some chose to do their own
poems,others:their colleagues poems and some even bravely attempted famous
published poets.Translations included regional languages like: Bengali,
Marathi,Punjabi and Tamil.......
The cover of Part:B had the same beautiful watercolour cum black ink
drawing.(Most of our teachers handle art-based subjects after all) Plus the
following quotation below:-

                           Sad is his lot ; who
                         One at least in his life,
                             has not been a poet

                       :Alphonse de Lamartine

A special mention was also given:of appreciation and gratitude towards
making the workshop possible and doing overtime/ over the precious weekend,
towards this cause to:-
Bhavana Chatterjee: Int. Des. for the Cover Design.
Battish Sir & his team: Com .Art for Poetry posters
Bela Bhambri,Neeru Bhandari & Anju Sharma: for their tremendous (though
muddled)
                                   administrative effort.:
Director: A.Chaudhuri: For sponsorship &resource allocation
Faiyaz Hussain : Comp Sc. for index & format edging.
Harpreet Kaur:Jew.Des, Jyotika Ahluwalia.:Fash.Des,,Kavita Chaudhry.:Dress
Des &
                          Shachi Dayal.:Tex.Des. for finishing touches.
Jayant Gajera: for Photography
Shilpa Soota: for Audio-tech management
Khursheed Begum & Zeeshan Bano for their Urdu and Hindi skills.
NB: Priya Nayyer (Fash.Des.) got an extra prize for prompt punctuality. She
was the first staff member amongst us to submit her summer assignment at the
Litt.Cell. The prize shall be a popular poetry book.
___________________________________________________________________:
                             There was also an additional message inserted
in each copy saying:

Respected Colleague,
            We are indeed very happy to gift you for Diwali the Part:B of
the workshop Assignment:2002.This shall mark an end to all the marvellous
minutes concerned with our Workshop and Summer H.W.
            Regardless of whether your performance has been excellent or you
have been branded as a 'defalcator',we hope this does not mark an end to yur
active connection with the wondrous world of poetry.
                                 :Litt. Incharge.

(Those who did not submit their exercise within the stipulated time were
listed in the index as 'defalcators'. This was in replacement of the older
terminology of 'Defaulters',earlier used. The Litt.cell Incharge thought
Defalcator was a softer sounding word but equally offensive.)

                 Yours-in-refluxion,
                              R.Chaudhuri.