[Reader-list] American Builds A Dream World -- And Moves Into It

t byfield tbyfield at panix.com
Wed Jan 8 04:10:24 IST 2003

yazadjal at vsnl.net (Tue 01/07/03 at 12:20 PM +0530):

> Fred's an interesting columnist on American culture and society from a
> somewhat libertarian viewpoint. What he's saying here is that blacks and
> whites _do not_ want to live together. It's being forced by government. I
> have no idea of how true that is. Maybe those living in the US can help with
> their observations. I do agree with his conclusion to "let people live how
> they want and hire people on merit".

the US has almost 300 million people in it, and is famously -- and
truly -- fantastically diverse. anyone who makes a blanket general-
ization like 'blacks and whites don't want to live together' about
this population is either an idiot or an ideologue, and maybe even
*both*.

i must say, for all the justifiable criticisms of the US i see on
this list, a lot of it comes with thinking that's as fuzzy as i'd
expect from americans talking about 'other' parts of the world.

cheers,