[Reader-list] Opinion poll: Who should be the ICT intermediary?

Editor, Digital Opportunity Channel kanti.kumar at oneworld.net
Fri May 30 12:00:11 IST 2003

Dear Friends,

As you are aware, Digital Opportunity Channel is running an online
discussion forum on 'Information Society: Voices from the South'
<http://www.digitalopportunity.org/discussion/wsis/> in partnership
with Bytes for All <http://www.bytesforall.org>.   If you have not
yet joined the forum, you can do so by submitting your email address
at our sign-up page
<http://www.digitalopportunity.org/discussion/signup/> or simply by
sending a blank email to: <mailto:join-IS at dgroups.org>.

In recent discussions in the forum, many participants have pointed
out the need for having intermediaries to take the benefits of ICTs
to the grassroots people. The view is, these intermediaries should
work as a bridge between solutions and people who cannot afford to
buy or use those solutions or cannot articulate their needs to
formulate solutions.

The forum also debated who should be the intermediaries. Among those
suggested are: NGOs, governments, private sector and community-based
cooperatives.

Keeping in mind all these suggestions, we have created an online
opinion poll for you so you can help us to decide who should be the
intermediaries at the grassroots level. You can pick your choice and
cast your vote. We will include the poll results in our reports. You
can vote even if you are not a member of the discussion forum.

Give us your opinion (anonymous) at
<http://www.digitalopportunity.org/discussion/wsis/>. It takes just
one click to cast your vote!

Your participation is important not only to help our forum to be a
success, but also to influence policy strategies through your
opinion.

Also, please circulate this appeal further for wider participation
in both the opinion poll and the forum.

Thank you.

Kanti Kumar
Editor, Digital Opportunity Channel