[Reader-list] campaigning against death penalty

nisha - mirzachhotoo at yahoo.co.in
Tue Aug 17 19:42:43 IST 2004

Looking at Chatterjee case, I'm amazed that how easy it is to ignore the political implications of sexual violence. Issues around rape and sexual abuse of various types have caused deep divisions in both anti-violence against women campaigners and human rights campaigners. And it has definitely put those like me who believe in the right to life as well as justice.

The dilemma arises from being thrown in a situation where one is supposed to declare either for or against stand in a death penalty case. It doesn't matter if majority of those who are campaigning against death penalty do not see sexual violence (leave alone physical violence) as grave enough to deserve a more serious thought than ‘poor man he has already served 14 years in jail’ or ‘so and so did it, he wasn’t given a death penalty’. It doesn’t matter if you feel that criminal jusrisprudence must work out a way in which concerns of women’s and girls’ physical and bodily integrity and safety are given the consideration they deserve. It doesn’t matter if you would like to hear a deabte about what kind of laws could make the perpetrator take full responsibility for an act of sexual violence without taking away his life. You are just supposed to take a for or against position in a typical Bush style.

The rampantness of sexual violence is acknowledged in so far that its existence is not being denied and work against issues of rape and sexual abuse is considered necessary if not as vital as other social issues. But when it comes to punishing the perpetrators, the message we get is don’t make the poor man such a monster. And instead of a debate on legal and public responsibility we are told it is a matter of real life, it just there so learn survival skills and develop the strength to cope with it. We also told that if you can’t do that then stay at home (as if that is a safe place) and kept safe from threats ranging from a load flesh coming on your screen in the next door cyber café to pinching, flashing and verbal sexal assault on the road, in the shops and at public place store.

It fills me with so much of anger when I think of all the women and girls who are being assualted every second and killed so often and see scant thought going to their right to life and sexual rights. What kind of a campaigning for right to life is this death penaly row, if it is not even willing to see the other side of the violence?
Nisha

vishwajyoti ghosh <ghoshvishwajyoti at rediffmail.com> wrote:

"In my next life, I want to be born as a rich man..."
-Dhanonjoy Chatterjee
For those of us who feel rapists should be dealt with an extra firm hand...I agree, But will I see:
Sanjeev Nanda
Salman Khan
Sushil Sharma
D.P Yadav & his sons
(to name only a few)
and all the regular rapists of Delhi and adjoining areas walking to the gallows???
As a nation, we might have to answer many such cases within ourselves, for times to come. Till then Chatterjee's words wish will continue to be a proven fact, and not a mere wish...
Happy Independence Day guys!

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 Sourav wrote :
>Regarding the death sentenced, I agree, blood against blood is not a
>solution, also we will be killer like him if we hang him. But I don't know
>where to appeal and president's emails address, please guide us and we will
>send the signatures and mails against hanging.
>
>Sourav.
>
>West Bengal.

VISHWAJYOTI GHOSH,
D-598/c,