[Reader-list] Disturbed by browsing

joy at sarai.net joy at sarai.net
Tue Jun 15 23:51:52 IST 2004

I was browsing through the net and came accross the Falung Gong site. The
image of life in China that emerges from this site looks really tough.

The link is http://www.clearharmony.net
Also enlosed one of the articles that perticularly interested me.

No Torture too Extreme – Labour Camps in China

By a practitioner from China 
Fushun Forced Labour Camp hired thugs to persecute [Falun] Dafa
practitioners and recruited former practitioners who have gone astray due
to brainwashing and torture (hereafter referred to as "collaborators")
released from Masanjia Labour Camp, intending to con and deceive
practitioners. Led by evil police officer Chen, the collaborators set up
"work shifts," enjoyed free lunches, and even received monthly "bonuses."
The following are accounts of their brutal persecutory crimes.

Hitting the foreheads: While holding the practitioners down or clutching
their hair, the scoundrels beat practitioners' foreheads for an extended
period of time until blood gathers around the eye sockets and at the
corners of the mouth. Afterwards, they framed the practitioners as demons,
and the collaborators dressed themselves up as witches or sorcerers to
severely beat the practitioners, with the excuse of "exorcising demons."
One day the City Council came to inspect the camp. At that time six
practitioners suffered black eyes, purple lips, and swollen faces due to
torture. The labour camp feared the outside world finding out, so they hid
the practitioners in a small room.

Psychological manipulation: After almost beating the practitioners to
unconsciousness, the collaborators gripped the practitioners' hands and
forced them to write "repentance letters." While writing, they slowly
dictated the words, saying that it was the practitioners themselves who
wrote the letter. Their intention was to make temporarily unaware
practitioners believe that they actually wrote the letter themselves.

Also, practitioners suffered torture in the forms of crouching, bending
over, and "flying." Some collaborators in the female brigade sadistically
beat, cursed, and tortured practitioners without regard to basic human
morals, conduct, or retribution.

The forced labour camp also forced the men and the women to stay in the
same cell. As a persecution technique the female practitioners were sent to
the male ward, and the male practitioners were sent to the female ward. The
inmates would scream loudly into the practitioner's ears and pull their
ears. Others cells would echo the screams, and the sounds travelled very
far. The prisoners used all kinds of degrading methods, such as hitting the
temples, beating with sticks, bodily torture, group coercion, and slapping,
to force practitioners to conform. They also tossed practitioners into the
air and banged their heads against the wall. The police beat and kicked
practitioners in the name of "maintaining order." They required the male
practitioners to stay in the female ward where they endured 24-hours of
beating, torture, and restlessness.

In dealing with hunger strikes, supervisor Wu declared in a meeting: "It is
okay if they foam from the mouths after three to five days of being on
hunger strikes. Afterwards, their faces will turn red, but it's only
dangerous if they turn black." An elderly practitioner in her sixties had
been on hunger strike for 11 days. The collaborators forced her to bend
over and imposed her to write a "repentance letter." Another female
practitioner suffered kidney failure during a hunger strike, and died two
days later after being sent home. A male practitioner sustained nervous
system damage, and another female practitioner had an injury to the brain
after beating.

At the Fuxin Forced Labour Camp, male [Falun] Dafa practitioners were
forced to perform heavy physical labour like loading and unloading train
cars. Female practitioners didn't receive enough food to fill their
stomachs. After October of 1999, a meal consisted only of a piece of rice
cake smaller than a cigarette carton, and a small piece of pickled turnip.
The police often abused those on hunger strikes by recklessly using
electric batons. During the first half of 2001, newly recruited police
officers frequently shocked practitioners with electric batons without
reason. Using two electric batons, some policemen would often pace around
looking for the most frivolous faults among practitioners, and then
unreasonably shock them with batons.

In late June, six practitioners on hunger strike were forced to join the
second brigade and do work outside. The practitioners were dragged like
sacks all over the place and into truck beds where they were crammed and
stepped on. When they arrived at the construction site, the practitioners
were pushed into a shack where assistant supervisor Xin and four to five
other policemen beat them with rods, and took turns shocking them using
four electric batons. On the next day the shocking continued. The police
had completely lost their minds and their actions were completely without
human nature. They feared that the voltage wasn't high enough, they feared
failing to shock the most sensitive places, and they feared that the clubs
didn't inflict enough injury. With four electric batons, two would be
placed at the temples, another at the back of the head, and the last one at
the navel, genitals, or the under arms. When the practitioners passed out,
they'd wake them up to resume the torturing.

Some forced labour camps, in order to destroy the indestructible faith of
the practitioners on hunger strikes, force-fed large amounts of salt or
white wine. The staff at Fuxin Labour Camp was even more heartless, as the
staff director announced one day that the Party Committee had decided to
"rescue" the practitioners. They ordered the inmates of the labour camp to
pinch practitioners' noses, and stuff their mouths with dirty rags. Using a
needle they injected high-concentration brine (with salt solids) into their
mouths while the inmates compressed practitioners' rib cages and lungs.
Most of the brine went into the lungs. When they passed out, the police
tilted practitioners' heads forward to dispose the brine and afterwards,
re-injected it. In the end, Dafa practitioners' unshakable faith still was
not weakened. The leftover brine was dumped into the pants of practitioners
(as further degradation).

Police at the Huludao Forced Labour Camp beat a Dafa practitioner
unconscious for 14 hours, and then didn't send the practitioner to a
hospital until he failed to react to electric shocks. Seeing how unshakable
Dafa practitioners were, they poured water onto practitioners and used five
to six electric batons at the same time. Each practitioner on hunger strike
was force fed a bag of salt. In March of 2001 practitioner Chen Dewen died
at the scene as a result of force-feeding. Later, they chained the
practitioners on hunger strike to a bed, and removed all the board pieces
except the ones under the head, feet, and the torso, so the majority of the
body was unsupported (some beds in China are supported by pieces of wooden
boards across the length of the bed). This lasted for over a dozen days.
After two months of being chained to the bed, some practitioners were
unable to move their arms. Some couldn't walk after 24 days, and others
suffered numbness after 35 days. In treating the most compassionate and
tolerant Dafa practitioners who don't ever resort to violence or bad words,
these evil police have completely lost their human nature.

In January of 2000, before the dismissal of the female brigade at Chaoyang
Forced Labour Camp, a supervisor escalated the persecution of Dafa
practitioners. After the female practitioners were sent to Masanjia Labour
Camp, this supervisor received due retribution, and was hospitalised after
a car accident. People often said, "It's not that due retribution won't
come, but it's because the time hasn't arrived. When the moment comes,
everything will be repaid." Chaoyang Labour Camp coerced practitioners to
engage in extreme physical labour -- everyday a six-meter deep foundation
excavation must be completed. The scoundrels tortured the unwavering
practitioners, and forced them to stand, crouch, and line up against the
wall (practitioners had to raise their hands and arms upwards against the
wall, head down, and stand with lower backs against the wall). They also
ordered the inmates to monitor and harass practitioners. In December of
2000, Police Captain Gao and five other police guards forced the
practitioners to strip, while whipping them with belts and beating them
with wooden boards. A practitioner's eardrum was broken, an elderly
practitioner in her sixties fainted, and another's face became swollen
after "standing against the wall," all at the hands of the evil police. The
police ordered a few inmates to monitor, cruelly beat, and torture Dafa
practitioners. Among the perpetrators, policeman Jia died of drug overdose
in February of 2001, and policeman Zhang became mentally retarded.

Many forced labour camps try to attack Dafa practitioners because of
"orders from above." This is the Chinese legal system that Jiang imposes,
and this the real portrait of human rights in China!

Published: Wednesday 17th April 2002

More information about the reader-list mailing list