[Reader-list] the Act of leisure

Anand Vivek Taneja radiofreealtair at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 11:38:50 IST 2004

Dear Iram and Taha,

" We invite readers and writers on the list to share personal experiences/
discuss opinions/ raise questions on the institutionlistion of leisure and
the surveillance/ control of leisure/public space in Delhi and elsewhere.
How law determines the way we behave and how does one perform in the face
of this bareness of act?"

So -
A brief history of the death of a professional loiterer -  at the
Humayun's Tomb Complex -
or, the grass belongs to the Aga Khan...

1998 -  I jump an old, crumbling medieval wall, and land up in the
walled garden surrounding Isa Khan's Tomb, an enclosure just off
Humayun's Tomb, and so far, 'free entry', whether you jump the wall or
enter through the gate. The ticketed entry started only at the
Humayun's gateway to Humayun's Tomb, further on. Precisely by having
leaped the wall, the 'free' walled garden where no one bothered you
seemed like arcadia.

2000- A hot summer, I have to see off a friend at Nizamuddin station,
but am a bit early. so i go to Isa Khan's Tomb, still free entry,
climb upto the roof, and lie down in a small window cut into the eight
feet thick drum supporting the dome, for light and ventilation. the
thick stone, and the cross ventilation are cool, and i have a
beautiful, undisturbed hour of sleep, waking up to see the names of
many lovers carved into the plaster... evidence of other loiterers
who lounged around here at peace... many families loll around in the
green lawns of Humayun's tomb come evening, it is a popular picnic
place.

2000. winter - People from The Naramda Valley have arrived at
Nizamuddin Station in the morning, to protests against the Supreme
Court's recent decision to raise the height of the Sardar Sarovar Dam.
Volunteers from Delhi have been told that there is police surveillance
on, and in order for the proposed dharna at the Supreme Court to be
successful, we have to disperse all over the city. it's many hours
till the dharna, where do we  go? As the sun is rising, twenty of us,
villagers and shehri-s walk into the Isa Khan Tomb enclosure. No one
bothers us for the first hour or so, but then the guard from Humayun's
Tomb (hired from a private security agency, in which the guards are
trained at, ironically, HumayunPur, behind SafdarJung Enclave)  comes
visiting, and looks very worried.
We tell him we're here for Deve Gowda's Kisan Ralley - of which the
posters are up all over the city, and are left in peace.

2001. railings go up around the Humayun's Tomb Complex . The entry to
Isa Khan's Tomb is now also ticketed.  differntial ticketing.
foreigners pay twenty five times more than indians do - ten rupees
versus two hundred and fifty. you don't need white skin to be a
foreigner. or black skin. you could be from the north east. you could
have long hair. you could be carrying a backpack. i get used to being
asked the potentially profound question, 'Kahaan se aaaye hain?' The
Jahaan-e-Khusrau Festival starts, at which the least of the tickets is
a hundred rupees.

2001. summer. i am sitting with a woman friend on the roof of isa
khan's tomb. a security guard comes and asks us to leave. then he
calls me aside and asks, 'kaam banana hai kya?'

sometime in 2001. there is a shootout in the humayun's tomb parking
lot, at night. the police kill an alleged terrorist.

2004.last sunday.  much money has come in to the humayun's tomb
complex from the aga khan trust over the past few years. part of the money
has presumably spent on the hi-tech entry turnstiles  with magnetic
strip cards, operated manually, by the security guards. and the
computerised ticketing. inside, there are notices that warn you not to
sit on the grass, and there are many guards patrolling to ensure that
you do not. and last sunday, i noticed that there were men, in plain
clothes, noting down the number of each and every vehicle which was
parking at Humayun's Tomb.
XXX

- Monuments=Museums=Malls=Control Space

-	All leisure space/time is potential profit.
-	All leisure/space time has to be channelled/disciplined/regimented.
-	'Have you seen anyone but drivers sitting in the park (read Greens,
read Commons) in M-Block Market?'
-	'Shift the patriwallas into the park'.
-	'Do not walk on the grass.' – signboard at Humayun's Tomb.

 - It costs over six hundred rupees to watch the Taj in the moonlight.

I have been reading The Harvard Design School Guide to Shopping - a
bulky, wrist spraining volume in which text is often incidental to the
argument,  edited by Chuihua Judy Chung, Jeffrey Inaba, Rem Koolhaas,
and Sze Tsung Leong. To me, it is a remarkable documentation and
reiteration of the processes and the architecture that is shaping
urban spaces globally, but not in the registers of intervention and
outrage, as one would have  expected, but of cynicism and irony.

The last article in the book, which to my mind significantly sums up
the various urban trajectories that the book maps, is 'Ulterior
Spaces' by Sze Tsung Leong, which dwells on the concept of 'Control
Space.'

To quote –

'Currently, data represents the technology by which the city is being
reconfigured, regardless of its physical composition. Information has
become the new mapping device that unlocks the city to reveal the
inner working of life, economics and society in vivid detail…

'…the manifestation of the powers that configure the city have shifted
from the outwardly visible to the invisible; in other words, the city
is rendered less through composition, gravity, form or material than
it is through statistics, demographics and economic performance…

'… control space is motivated by the desire to understand, predict and
even fashion the ever-changing, often imperceptible, processes of
urban life. As a result the shape of the contemporary city is no
longer cohered by the physical visible characteristics such as form,
iconography, or density, but arrived at by default, as the residue of
ulterior motives.

'AIDA™. Artificial Intelligence Discrimination Architecture.
Originally developed to identify Russian missiles in space, AIDA is
now used to "recapture possible store defectors in a pre-emptive
strike before they start shopping elsewhere."

…(Safeways) will be able to spot consumer unhappiness by cross
checking existing sales patterns (through data from loyalty cards)
with current baskets… activate corrective measures – such as direct
mail and special offers.

XXX

The grass that still grows in M-Block Market, Gk-I, is not 'controlled
space'. Yet. Leisure that is not consumption is not in the state's
interests because it has the potential to be subversive. (of course,
the Ego Thai terrorist problematises that…) It is not in the interests
of those who the state chooses to partner –who want you to consume.

Shuddha  once drew linkages between the absences that (de)linked ACP
Rajbir Singh of the Delhi Police, The shootout in the basement of
Ansals Plaza, the figure of the terrorist, and the criminal negligence
of the Ansals that led to the Uphaar tragedy…. Those linkages are
important to my understanding of the Pandu in CC –especially with a
new mall and mutiplex coming up at what was once Grandlays.

The space for leisure is the space of consumption is the space of control.
In the interests of National Security, please Keep Off the Grass.

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and
taste good with ketchup.