[Reader-list] Daniel Libeskind in KRVIA, Mumbai

Ninad Pandit ninad.pandit at krvia.ac.in
Mon Oct 11 17:08:43 IST 2004

"Ever since I began architecture, I had an abhorrence to conventional
architecture offices. There was something about the atmosphere of
redundancy ,routine and production that made me allergic to all forms of
specialization and so-called professionalism. Ten years ago we founded our
office in Berlin as a result of a decision, an accident, a rumor on the
street and began an unimaginable journey down a path on which we are still
travelling."

(from http://daniel-libeskind.com )

Dear all:

Daniel Libeskind, the Architect of the Jewish Museum and the New WTC
towers, will be visiting Mumbai briefly, and will present some of his work
at krvia, Kamla Raheja Vidyanidhi Institute for Architecture and
Environmental Studies, on Thursday,14th October 2004, at 2:15 pm in the
krvia auditorium.
A link to the PDF poster for the event is here:

http://home.ripway.com/2004-7/139709/PDFs/DrLibeskindvisitskrvia2004.pdf

Please do come for the presentation.
Please direct all queries to my address.

Ninad Pandit

Brief Bio of Daniel Libeskind:
(from http://wikipedia.org)

Daniel Libeskind, born May 12, 1946 in Lodz, Poland, the son of Holocaust
survivors, is an architect who became a U.S. citizen in 1965. He is a 1965
alumnus of The Bronx High School of Science. His architecture uses a
language of skewed angles, intersecting geometries, shards, voids and
punctured lines to communicate feelings of loss, absence and memory whilst
addressing the immediate situation, however typical, in a manner that
constantly calls attention to itself. He has mainly designed museums and
galleries.

His recent projects include:

Completed

    * the Jewish Museum in Berlin, Germany;
    * the Felix-Nussbaum-Haus in Osnabrück, Germany, a museum dedicated to
the life and art of the painter Felix Nussbaum.
    * the Imperial War Museum North in Greater Manchester, United Kingdom

Proposed

    * 'The Spiral' extension to the Victoria and Albert Museum, London,
has now been cancelled following its failure to attract funding from
the Heritage Lottery Fund.
    * the 'Frederic C. Hamilton Building' of the Denver Museum of Art
(under construction)
    * 'The Crystal', a major renovation of the Royal Ontario Museum in
Toronto, slated for completion in 2006.
    * the 'Freedom Tower' and 'Memory Foundations' for the redevelopment
of the World Trade Center site in New York.

the poster requires a PDF viewer. It can be found on: http://www.acrobat.com