[Reader-list] Re: Indian print media: critique

ananya vajpeyi ananya at waag.org
Wed Dec 7 21:41:03 IST 2005

This can be taken as a response to Ayaz Amir's perceptive piece (Dawn,
Dec 02, 2005):

HEART OF DARKNESS

Ananya Vajpeyi

If it’s not in the news, my editor says every single morning, then
don’t write about it. Or, if I’m writing something anyway, he wants to
know what the “news-peg” is, on which I will hang my piece. But this
article is not about elections. It’s not about the economy. It’s not
about cricket. It’s not about the Left parties. It’s not about
international affairs. I guess you could conclude, then, that it’s not
about what’s in the news. It is about the news. Note, editor of mine:
this article is about the news.

There are three fields about which I know a little bit, from my
admittedly limited life-experiences: academia, the arts, journalism. I
can tell you something about the way these spheres of activity function
in this and a couple of other countries. I can tell you, after
struggling for the past few years to find a way to contribute to these
arenas of public life while making ends meet, in big cities and small
towns all over India, that at the bottom of my heart I am beginning to
lose the faith. Just like I was told I would, when I was younger. It’s
only a matter of time, young people are told, before the dying of the
light. One doesn’t believe it. Until one day the darkness is upon one.

And the news, again? What does the news have to do with this sense one
gets, of fighting a losing battle, of being aboard a sinking ship, of –
choose your own metaphor – not being able to discern a ray of light by
which to find one's way? This is my hypothesis: the news enacts,
performs, dramatizes, and exemplifies everything about our society that
reeks of cynicism. News takes the darkness that lurks on the edges of
our sight, like an impending loss of consciousness, and writes it
bright across our television screens, or black on the white of
newsprint. If news is an index of our collective life as a nation, a
symptom of what ails us, then our sickness is clear, we suffer from
that terminal disease of the soul: cynicism. I think I’m in the early
stages of infection myself, truth be told. Nothing else explains the
dead weight in my heart every morning. It became considerably heavier
when I started working for a newspaper.

Here’s the landscape: A war zone gets hit by an earthquake. A clutch of
cats, the last of their kind, is shot, skinned, sold. A young man doing
his job is murdered in the back of his own car. People go shopping
before Diwali, and come home without fathers, children, wives, limbs.
Liars seize power. Villages are crushed under the slow-turning wheels
of the perpetual revolution. A man from Kerala is kidnapped and killed
in the badlands of Afghanistan. Sportsmen perform miserably, unable to
master either game or ego. Girls are raped, gays treated like lepers,
and no one has time for the poor and their never-ending poverty.
Tribals face extinction. Cities rot, inundated with water from the sky,
flooded with water from the rivers. Forests are a fading memory. Yet
another Muslim woman takes the consequences of double minority. A
deadly mafia don proves photogenic, his moll even more so. Workers are
beaten within an inch of their lives.

Alright, so there’s no appeal against natural disasters, and terrorism
is practically a force of nature nowadays. Armies will do what they’re
supposed to do: make war. Human beings are destined to suffer, and in
such calamitous times, when there is little protection for human life,
who will save trees and animals? Surely it’s not the fault of news that
all news these days seems to be bad news?

But no, what ails us is not that there is, as the Buddha stated in his
very first axiom, suffering in the world. Dukha is old news. What makes
it all so unpalatable is the shameless voyeurism, the mindless
reiteration, the immorality, the unscrupulousness, the insensitivity
and the downright dishonesty which characterise the workings of the
media, of politics, and of their unholy nexus, news. If it scares you
to watch this dance of death from afar, then it would turn your
stomach, trust me, no, worse – it would wipe out your faith, gentle
reader – to inhabit belly of the beast.

For hundreds of years in our part of the world, people wrote of things
real and fantastic in the genre of the Purana. Many of these texts
contained descriptions of the chaos and corruption that would mark the
world in the Kali Yuga, the last of the four great ages of humankind.
Teachers will lead their students away from knowledge, rulers will
drive their subjects to perdition, truth will vanish, beauty perish,
and righteousness meet an inglorious end. The bull that is Dharma, they
claimed, will be left standing on its last leg. The ancients got it
right, apparently. Somewhere in their incoherent prescience of
apocalypse, in their alarm about the fast-attenuating moral center of
their society, they threw us a map with which to navigate our own
nightmarish times.

Kali Yuga: the society of the spectacle. Life on TV. For a civilization
that has produced some of the truest, most beautiful texts, artefacts,
theories, ways of life and modes of being, we have arrived at a sorry
pass indeed, the nadir of ignorance, inanity and unethical consumption,
an infernal mish-mash of breaking news-page
three-advertising-globalisation in our faces day and night, killing us,
killing us, killing us. We rob the poor, we rape the weak, we cheat the
helpless, we steal from the blind. And then we broadcast it, live,
24X7.

As though this can go on much longer. It is not possible to have a
political life without ethics. It is not possible to do work when its
only object is destruction rather than creation. It is not possible to
use language without respect for the truth, to editorialize without
commitment, to preach when your real objective is to obfuscate, to lead
when you are headed straight to hell.

At the heart of darkness, incessantly generating its meaningless
commotion, a television set.