[Reader-list] Re: A Welcome to Those Who Come

Danny Butt db at dannybutt.net
Fri Apr 14 12:28:13 IST 2006

Dear all

I've been living with Jaanu's letter over the last few days which
resonates deeply with my own sense of the different stakes in the
power relations embedded in the encounter between the host and
visitor. What does it mean to talk from a place, unavoidably/
reluctantly feeling the approval or disapproval of those who come? As
Fanon tells us, even if recognising that the priorities of the
visitor are not one's own, the visitor represents the possibility of
transformation for the host even when the visitor does not know it.
How does the visitor/friend feel? Possibly not at all, or not what
might be expected. How can the visitor/friend be made to understand?
The visitor/friend cannot lose their cognitive (and pragmatic)
accountabilities to other places, no more than the host can lose
their at home-ness. This is not to fix the identity of host/visitor
in a person but to recognise a dynamic, a process.

Anthropology is predicated on the learning of the visitor as they
explore new lands and people, which is then trafficked back to the
home of the visitor (or perhaps not - but simply deployed in other
spaces to gain support for other visits). It is clear to me that
those who have been visited by anthropologists (professional or not)
have learnt much about this dynamic, whether or not they have been to
the anthopologist's home. It is only recently that this literature is
making an appearance among "native anthropologists" (esp. e.g. in
Hawaii - see Haunani-Kay Trask), whose knowledge of the visitor is a
tremendous source of power that cannot be acknowledged by the
visitor. It lays bare the way the visitor has been blinded by their
material ability to leave and move to a new situation when the hosts
begin to seem less friendly.

I greatly value Jannu's acceptance of those who come as friends.
However, as someone who visits many places, and is less-often
visited, I sometimes find myself resisting generous offers of
friendship, and wishing my hosts would be more suspicious of me. This
is not because I do not want to be friends, but because the material
and subjective divides that constrain and enable friendship must be
made visible if the friendship is to be for real. What does it mean
to be friends, really? Across the bridge between a here and a
somewhere-else that others come from? I do not wish to resist
openness, as it is the way we must behave if we can ever do things
together. But I also think we can instead hold the space of
friendship as an ideal, which we move toward, and which is tested, as
one tests one's footing on a rocky path, over time learning which
rocks will hold one's weight and which will deposit one on one's back
with a sore ankle.

Thanks to Jaanu and Shveta for this valuable text.

Danny

--
http://www.dannybutt.net