[Reader-list] Disproportion and the Justification of War

Tapas Ray t.ray at vsnl.com
Sat Aug 5 06:55:00 IST 2006

Thanks to Shuddhabrata for his deeply insightful post.

There is a question that has been troubling me, because I support Lebanon's
right to exist as a "normal" country with liberal values that is not ravaged
by either Israel or Syria or Iran, and because I am as concerned about
Hezbollah's Islamism as I am about Israel's Zionist militarism. Apologies if
the question already has been discussed on this list ... I must confess that
I have not read everything that has been written here on Lebanon.

The question is this: Since Hezbollah have been firing rockets at civilian
areas in northern Israel, does this justify the "collateral damage"
inflicted by Israel on Lebanon? Are the Hezbollah justified in hitting
civilian areas in Israel because the Israeli Army is a conscript army and
the civilian population is, therefore, an army in waiting? Is the difference
in scale - hence the question of proportion - due solely to technological
factors? I mean, Israel is killing hundreds of civilians because it has the
means of delivering explosives on chosen targets with precision and
Hezbollah have been killing a far fewer number only because it does not have
those means, being a non-state actor?

I shall really appreciate an anwer to these questions, on-list or off-list.

Once again, apologies if these questions have been raised and answered
already.

Tapas