[Reader-list] Copy of a study by Centre for the Study of Developing Societies

Prashant Kadam explore at prashant.ca
Thu Aug 10 00:13:17 IST 2006

Hi There,

I am writing this email with reference to the following article:

http://www.newswatch.in/?p=5255

Indian media does not reflect country’s social profile: Study

If sex, religion and caste are to be taken together, more than two-thirds
of the top media professionals in the country come from less than 10 per
cent of the population. Hindu upper caste men, who are barely 8 per cent
of the country’s population, have a majority share of 71 per cent among
top media professionals in the country. These findings are from the same
survey of the social profile of key decision makers in the national media
that had created a flutter last month.

The findings are based on a survey of the social background of 315 key
decisionmakers from 37 “national” media organisations (up to 10 from each)
based in Delhi. The survey was carried out by volunteers of Media Study
Group between May 30 and June 3 this year. It was designed and executed by
Anil Chamaria, freelance journalist, and Jitendra Kumar, independent
researcher, from Media Study Group, and Yogendra Yadav, senior fellow,
Centre for the Study of Developing Societies (CSDS)....

I am an aspiring media studies student in Canada and a wish to study the
issue of representation of journalists in India.

I wish to obtain a copy of the report/survey recently conducted by CSDS.

I have had no reponse from CSDS, and one freelance journalist involved in
the study, I had send them an email request.

I am hopeful that somebody here will be able to help me secure a copy.

Thanking you,

Regards,

Prashant Kadam
Canada