[Reader-list] The Slimes of India's Patna edition reprints, Danish cartoon

Koen Martens gmc at sonologic.nl
Wed Feb 15 20:06:48 IST 2006

Rahul Asthana wrote:
> 1.The opposition is not against free speech.The
> widespread republication gave the perception of an
> attack on and ridicule of a belief system.It is no
> longer a heretic voice. Hence the outcry.

Saying the cartoons may not be published will be interpreted as an
act to attack the freedom of expression. Not by everyone, but it
will be interpreted as such none-the-less..

> 2.There are many examples of the hypocrisy of people
> who are burning buildings for cartoons and would not
> say anything when Iran sentences to death 17 year
> olds, but in this case it is a straw man.This does not
> take away from the fact that there is no reason for
> stirring up the emotions of about a billion people.

As I explained in some other posts already, that is not the intent
of the republishing. Do remember that the republishing was an answer
to the sudden riots in january/february 2006 about cartoons that
were published november/oktober 2005. An attack on free expression
also stirs emotions, and i think the riots provoked the republishing.

> 3.This is not against freedom of speech  and one would
> strongly oppose any legal action against the
> cartoonists or publishers.But it is in bad taste.Its
> something which is not really funny for a lot of
> people.

Bad taste is such an objective thing. If anything that is not funny
for a lot of people should be censored, there would not be much left
to publish. I strongly oppose to using the 'it is not funny for a
lot of people' argument to ban certain expressions in the public space.

> 6.Being offensive or ridiculing a  religion should be
> condemned. Protesting with violence should also be
> condemned.The publishers of  cartoons  wanted to make
> a point about muslims as against freedom of speech.
> The  protestors, on the other hand are making a  point
> about the oppresive policies of the monolithic "west"
> as against the offensiveness of the cartoons.It is
> evident that both sides are displaying a marked
> ignorance of each others culture and values.In this
> sense this controversy may have a positive outcome if
> it can result in greater understanding between the two
> parties

I think just as a lot of people in the west think that all muslims
are bomb-throwing violent maniacs, the people in the arabic world
are thinking all western people are egocentric rich bastards who
hate the islam unconditionally. Both are wrong.

> Finally, I totally agree with Iram Gufran's
> post.Liberals can me most intolerant, however counter
> intuitive this may sound.

True. I am not a liberal.

Best,

Koen