[Reader-list] If there were any doubts that Zidane was a hero, there are no longer

Rana Dasgupta eye at ranadasgupta.com
Thu Jul 13 23:27:23 IST 2006

Dany Laferrière is a francophone novelist from Haiti now living between
Montreal and Miami. His commentary on the Zidane "header", which I found
on the blog of Alain Mabanckou, a wonderful Congolese novelist -

http://www.congopage.com/article.php3?id_article=3791

- is radical and fascinating, so I've done a rough translation.  Read
the comment too.

**********

http://www.ranadasgupta.com/notes.asp?note_id=69

I did not sleep much last night for trying to understand Zidane’s
gesture, especially since all the opinions I heard resembled each other
as if only one person had watched the match. The more there are of us,
the more we’re inclined to have the same opinion. I am always suspicious
of a crowd that speaks with one voice. And everyone was feeling sorry
for Zidane. An unworthy end to the career of a great champion. It’s
strange, but this commentary seemed far too bourgeois to me. In fact
people weren’t really sorry for Zidane: they were only speaking for
themselves. Zidane was only a character from the fairy story they told
themselves each night before going to bed. Hardly a month ago, Zidane
was only an old, tired player. Now he’s a fallen knight.

In the old, more bloody fables of the Brothers Grimm, a red card ending
was acceptable. But today, in this strange epoch when all humans seem to
have drunk Disney milk in their childhood, only rosy endings are
acceptable. Everything must finish happily. Our heroes must be loveable.
Before putting them away in the cupboard of our happy memories. So what
does that leave for Zidane? Zidane, the exemplary father, the discreet
man who has led a faultless career? These are the descriptions people
have stuck on him like medals.

Maybe it’s true, but what gets lost? What did he have to swallow before
that fateful moment? What did he have to endure without ever saying
anything before taking his life in hand again? Before becoming once
again the young proud boy who played in the streets of Marseille? The
one whom one could never insult with impunity about his mother or his
race? Marseille is not a joke. The National Front is not far away. And
Zidane is a child of that epoch. Has Zidane ever believed in the
adulation of the crowd? That monster that kills what it loves. At one
moment, he knows he will find himself looking at a man he left behind
long ago for money and fame, and that man is himself, Zinedine Zidane. I
don’t believe that the Italian player said to him anything that he could
stand hearing. Simply, he felt that this was the moment. His last match,
the finale of the World Cup, at the last moment. It was this moment or
never. Otherwise, he had sold himself for ever.

Don’t speak to him of dignity. Dignity is precisely that gesture that he
made to recover some of his honour. This was his moment. He had already
given everything to his team. Now it was for himself. Eight seconds out
of a career of nearly twenty years. Because if he didn’t do it then, it
would all be over. Anyway, he was exhausted, and the team could do
without him. I think that there are some moments in life which belong
only to those who live them. And to no-one else. The moment when one
refuses to play is always stupid in the eyes of others. But what value
has the image of the pride claimed by the collectivity in the ace of the
intimate pride of the individual? Because there are lots of people
watching a game, they all believe that it’s only a game. Zidane’s act
was the intrusion of weighty reality into the game. Zidane is not
playing anymore. He breaks the codes with a blow of his head.

I remember the moment of Charlebois’s death-blow, when he threw his
drums at the French public. In France, everyone was astonished by such
behaviour. In Quebec, Charlebois instantly became a counter-cultural
icon. They sensed something liberating in his gesture. For Zidane, it
will be the same thing. Young rappers will surely introduce into their
video clips the eight seconds where Zidane left the game to re-enter
their stifling reality. For once, Zidane, who was legendary for never
allowing his temperature to rise, embraced all those who do not know how
to behave in public. His brothers from the street whose blood is still
boiling.

Comment by "Sami"

“If there were any doubts about the fact that Zidane was one of the best
players in the history of football, after the final there can be no
more!” wrote the popular Russian daily, Komsomolskaia Pravda, before
adding, “Only an epic hero, a titan, a Hercules could depart like that.”
Dany Laferrière’s commentary, with his very personal sensibility, echoes
that of many journalists around the world. Nine seconds which make an
absolute human out of a being whose shoulders would have been crushed by
the image of a god that was hung on him. The beauty of that gesture and
its deep meaning are worth a world cup. For me, this entire World Cup
could have been organized only so that we could see this unexpected
coronation: this header that sought not the goal but a chest from which
poisonous words flowed. For that alone, Zidane deserves the immortality
that had already been predicted for him. As for the disappointment of
others, they can do with it whatever they wish. They are truly some
moments when others come after yourself, for they are not the essential.
Especially when you understand their talent for condemning their
instrumentalised heroes to absolute solitude.

*********

Rana Dasgupta
www.ranadasgupta.com