[Reader-list] Enough --- A letter from mumbaikar

kaiwan mehta kaiwanmehta at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 16:35:29 IST 2006

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: kaiwan mehta <kaiwanmehta at gmail.com>
Date: Jul 17, 2006 4:33 PM
Subject: Re: [Reader-list] A letter from mumbaikar
To: Aaditya Dar <aadityadar at gmail.com>
Cc: "reader-list at sarai.net" <reader-list at sarai.net>,
united_students at yahoogroups.com, kaiwanmehta at gmail.com

 Hi

This is the second time I have received this highly 'spirited' and emotional
mail.

The other version of this letter conviniently assumes that the terrorist
essentially sits in Afghanistan, Pakistan or Iraq.

The front page of Indian Express, on 14 July, 2006... has a story on how the
Courts in India doubted that the Blasts at the RSS head quarters and another
city in Maharashtra were doctored from 'within'.

And about the 'spirit of mumbai' the 'spirit' has now reached nauseating
levels!! One day all of us will die in the assumed/presumed garb of 'spirit'
of the city.... and what will be left is only 'spirit'..... yes read the
Times of India, Times Review page in the Sunday 16 July, 2006 edition.

Accept the fact... the city was jostled... the city was literally out of
steam at least for two days after the blast.

Where does our spirit go when tonnes of families and kids are thrown
homeless brutally when the slums were demolished in Bombay/Mumbai itself?

Where does ourr spirit go when people are thrown homeless, landless and
jobless when they are evacuated for Dam constructions?

Was my spirit sleeping when farmers are commiting suicides?

Maybe I never had a spirit till the media gave me one, a week ago!!

warm spirits...
Kaiwan

 On 7/16/06, Aaditya Dar <aadityadar at gmail.com> wrote:

>  just wanted to share this mail forward i got:

We don't know whether you are Hindu / Muslim / Christian / Indian /
pakistani/ Afghanistani / Iraqi / American or from any part of the
world
but
only name we can give you is terrorist.

Even if you are not reading this we don't care. Time and again you
tried to
disturb us and disrupt our life - killing innocent civilians by
planting
bombs in trains, buses and cars. You have tried hard to bring death and
destruction, cause panic and fear and create communal disharmony but
everytime you were disgustingly unsuccessful. Do you know how we pass
our
life in Mumbai? How much it takes for us to earn that single rupee? If
you
wanted to give us a shock then we are sorry to say that you failed
miserably in your ulterior motives. Better look elsewere, not here.

We are not Hindus and Muslims or Gujaratis and Marathis or Punjabis and
Bengaliies. Nor do we distinguish ourselves as owners or workers, govt.
employees or private employees. WE ARE MUMBAIKERS (Bombay-ites, if you
like). We will not allow you to disrupt our life like this. On the last
few
occassions when you struck (including the 7 deadly blasts in a single
day
killing over 250 people and injuring 500+ in 1993), we went to work
next
day in full strength. This time we cleared everything within a few
hours
and were back to normal - the vendors placing their next order,
businessmen
finalizing the next deals and the office workers rushing to catch the
next
train. (Yes the same train you targetted)

Fathom this: Within 3 hours of the blasts, long queues of blood
donating
volunteers were seen outside various hospital, where most of the
injured
were admitted. By 12 midnight, the hospital had to issue a notification
that blood banks were full and they didn't require any more blood. The
next
day, attendance at schools and office was close to 100%, trains & buses
were packed to the brim, the crowds were back.
The city has simply dusted itself off and moved one - perhaps with
greater
vigour.

We are Mumbaikers and we live like brothers in times like this. So, do
not
dare to threaten us with your crackers. The spirit of Mumbai is very
strong
and can not be harmed.

Please forward this to others. U never know, by chance it may come to
hands
of a terrorist & He / She can then read this message which is specially
meant for him / her !!!

With Love,
>From the people of Mumbai (Bombay)

- --
Kaiwan Mehta
Architect and Urban Researcher

11/4, Kassinath Bldg. No. 2, Kassinath St., Tardeo, Mumbai 400034
022-2-494 3259 / 91-98205 56436

- --