[Reader-list] A letter from mumbaikar

Faiz Ullah faiz.ullah at adlabsradio.com
Wed Jul 19 10:16:09 IST 2006

just to add to what prashant has written..

majority of people are pushed towards this city, and a sizeable minority of people like me are attracted towards it. a better part of the "spirit of mumbai" is the inability of the people to leave it once they land up here. mumbai the "financial capital" of this country, and mumbai "that contributes the most to the state exchequer" is also the city where people arrive with very big yet seemingly attainable dreams. if maharashtra government were to build a "jaali" at the Kurla, Andheri, or Mumbai central stations, we'll get to see the "200 families that are added to the population of mumbai everday" saying their first prayers there. they'll be found tying the customary piece of thread or piece of a cloth on it in a hope that they'll come and un-tie it the day their "mannat" comes true. but "mannats" are expensive in this city. 73% of the city's households live in 1-room tenements, shanties, kholis, etc.
the "spirit" of hunger, and the "spirit" of hopelessness that prevails in parts of this country isn't "spirit"enough. the "spirit" of the "marqaz" that this city has become; of a million dying and already dead dreams, is no different from the the "spirit" that we saw rallying behind the "anti-fanaah" protestors in gujarat, and the meritorious "YOUTH FOR EQUALITY" forum( this deserves "upper case") at the AIIMS, the our armed forces in kashmir and the north-east. there are (vested) interests to protect and EMIs to pay. what are we going to celebrate and what are we going to condemn. and now that we are done with mumbai...a cheers also to the "spirit" of cities being pounded by apaches as i write.
G8 summit is on, my friend can't access his own blog, and the power of CNN IBN has been seen by the world now.

much regards,

faiz