[Reader-list] Nangla Machi

Anand Vivek Taneja radiofreealtair at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 10:47:36 IST 2006

Reading all these accounts of what happened yesterday in Nangla Machi/Majhi
yesterday reminds me of a few months ago, when I witnessed the demolitions
around the Jama Masjid.

What shocked me then was the overwhelming presence of the police in heavy
riot gear. They had, in an extremely clinical fashion, surrounded the whole
place. The areas to be demolished were under siege. No one could escape. Or
even think of any protest, beyond tears and gesticulation, in the face of
such overwhelming force. People were still busy dismantling asbestos
roofing, and whatever else could be salvaged and crated away, when they were
forcibly made to move, as the bulldozers began their work, a few hours
before the verbal assurances of the night before.

Many people pointed at their electricity meters, visible as the walls
collapsed. We had legal electricity connections, we had licenses, we used to
pay the MCD rent. All except one man saying it quietly, flatly. The one man
weeping and cursing and shouting; railing at the policeman using the polite
phrase 'Dukandar Bhaiyon' over the megaphone, once the camera crews came in.

I have an image from that day that haunts me, which seems to me to be a
leitmotif of the loss and the displacement invisiblised in the brutal
process of transforming a 'Walled City to a World City', as the TOI campaign
goes.
The image is here
http://synchroni-cities.blogspot.com/2006/03/leitmotif.html
And this is the link to the TOI campaign's website (which, especially after
this, almost physically sickens me)
http://chalodilli.indiatimes.com/

I have been aware of Nangla Majhi for a few years now, from when I was doing
research on the Purana Qila. It turned out that many of the Archaeolical
Survey's Class 4(?) employees, who lived inside the Qila till the early
eighties were forced to leave, and found shelter in Nangla Majhi. Workers
from the zoo used to live in the illegal Chidiya Ghar Wala Colony, between
the railway tracks and the  east boundary of the zoo, completely invisible .
All the stories I heard about NM were always stories of precarity - about
how there were almost constant attempts to demolish the colony and remove
people, but how Tajdar Babar's interventions always saved them.  For me she
became an almost mythic figure, someone who fought for 'her people', and
stemmed the tide of the city's transformation.

I guess it's a sign of the tectonic shifts Delhi is undergoing that the
'populist' tactics of an old style politican whick kept NM and other,
similar spaces relatively secure for over two decades no longer work.

Anand

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and taste
good with ketchup.

Only that historian will have the gift of fanning the spark of hope in the
past who is firmly convinced that without a sense of humour you're basically
pretty f***ed anyway.
(with apologies to Walter Benjamin)
http://www.chapatimystery.com/