[Reader-list] Experiments with violence in Gujarat

Aditi thorat aditi.thorat at gmail.com
Wed May 3 19:02:41 IST 2006

May 3rd, 2006

Dear all,

Greetings to those of whom I have been out of touch with. This description
(not mine, but by Smita Vasudevan, I think) of Dionne Bunsha's book (see
below) really shook me up. Have any of you read it? I am not normally a
supporter of highly emotive reporting on issues related to communal
violence, but here Bunsha has ventured out of regular press into a narrative
form, which allows for more freedom. Again, I find it slightly suspect to
see NDTV take on a crusader role (similar to their role in the Jessica Lal
etc) case, but I am torn between that feeling and the feeling that the press
also do need to take a position. Also, I am not clear in the description
given below, why DSP Pande did not respond to the information on violence.
After seeing something of how states work from the inside, I am figuring out
that these are not necessarily only moral actions of individual
bureaucrats/police men, but could be directly related to the way in which
the bureaucrat/IPS officer-politician nexus/es operate, something the
passage below does capture.
Therefore my question is are moral judgements useful with regard to changing
these situations?

I am also coming around to a feeling that perhaps what we need is more
forgiveness, more tolerance, more peace, and less anger, less violent
imagery, less hate. And here we all have a role to play, I think. The Truth
and Reconciliation Commission of South Africa was based on this premise and
despite its arguably Christian basis, is it not possible to start from
that/similar premise of forgiveness? Of course, I am conscious that I was
not involved in the Gujarat massacre- I did not lose my life or honour or
property and I speak from a position of privilege and wealth and security.

Would be good to hear what all of you think,
Aditi