[Reader-list] Launch of Forum Radio at ISF 2006

Nishant nicheant at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Nov 10 14:27:40 IST 2006

Dear Friends

On behalf on the Indian Institute for Critical Action: Centre in Movement (CACIM) and PANOS South Asia we are proud to announce the launch of Forum Radio. CACIM and PANOS South Asia have managed to create this radio successfully with the active collaboration of OneWorld South Asia (http://southasia.oneworld.net/), Sarai ( www.sarai.net) and Youth Forum. With the webcasting of its first programme, Forum Radio has begun providing journalistic coverage of the Indian Social Forum (ISF) 2006. the Radio is currently available at OneWorld South Asia at http://southasia.oneworld.net/section/isf and will soon be available at www.sarai.net and http://www.panossouthasia.org/.

The Radio will also be broadcast on the Indian Institute of Mass Communication campus radio at FM 96.9 Hz. Its radio, called Apna Radio, can be heard within a radius of 10 kilometres from their campus in Delhi. The visitors at the ISF venue at Jawaharlal Nehru grounds can access this frequency. (Please visit www.forumradio.cacim.net for a list web sites where you can listen to Forum Radio broadcasts.)

The past experience of the social forum movement in India suggests that journalistic coverage of the event is restricted only to some small quarters of the independent and grassroots media. To plug this gap and to challenge the elitist mainstream media some people who engage with the WSF process have decided to journalistically cover it through Forum Radio.

This coverage will continue throughout the ISF, during which it will cover the events organised, the bigger issues concerning the social forum movement and, among other things, interviews with visiting speakers and participants. We plan to continue with our coverage even after the ISF formally gets over, so that there is some space for evaluation of and reflection on the events held during the forum and the forum itself.

You can write to Forum Radio at ForumRadio at cacim.net.

With warm regards.

The Team

@