[Reader-list] Press freedom goes for a toss in Chattisgarh

Shivam Vij mail at shivamvij.com
Thu Nov 23 03:15:28 IST 2006

An older incident here: http://www.shivamvij.com/2006/11/kamlesh-paikra.html

best

To: chhattisgarh-net at yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 9:52 PM
Subject: [chhattisgarh-net] Appeal to NHRC against attack on
Journalist in Dantewada

The Chairperson
National Human Rights Commission,Faridkot House,  Copernicus Marg,
New Delhi

Sub: Complaint against the illegal  detention and torture of Afzal
Khan, a correspondent of HindSat News paper  based in Bhopalpatnam,
District Dantewada on 15 November 2006

Dear  Sir
I am writing to seek immidate interntion of National Human
Rights  Commission against the illegal detention and torture of Afzal
Khan, a  correspondent of HindSat News paper based in Bhopalpatnam,
District  Dantewada on 15 November 2006.

According to Afzal on the evening of 15th  November Salwa Judum
reached Bhopalpatnam. He with his brother Zahir Khan (  reporter
Jansatta) and few more reporters were called by leaders of Salwa
Judum including Budhram Rana and Hanif Khan. Salwa Judum leaders
accused  them of helping the Sarpanchs who went to Raipur few days
back to request  Govt to stop Salwa Judum entering their area.Afzal
told the leaders that  they should check with the Sarpanchs when they
are back whether they helped  them to go to Raipur or not. After that
they were asked to go after  threatening "not to repeat same
acts".After sometime Afzal was called again.  This time he was asked
to witness the Putla Dahan ( effigy burning) of anti  Salwa Judum
leaders. During this function he was again asked similar  questions
by the SPOs and blamed for writing anti Salwa Judum news. Afzal  told
them that "today is the first day of Salwa Judum in Bhopalpatnam
area, so how come I may be writing against Salwa Judum ?The reports
about our representatives not wanting Salwa Judum was written by
reporters from Raipur".But SPOs were not happy with the reply and
Afzal  was taken inside a room and was badly beaten up. In the
process he has  fractured two of his fingers.Afzal is frightened to
go to file an FIR. "  They have threatened to kill my entire family
if I complain against them",  Afzal told.

Afzal also told that "Patel of Gullaguda was beaten up badly  when he
went to save a girl from his village being molested by Salwa Judum.
He has got 11 stiches but police has refused to file his complaint".
Afzal could not recount the Patel's name."Deputy Sarpanch of
Tamlapalli  Saddu and Hingaram of Gullapeta were also beaten up by
Salwa Judum and  police have refused to file their FIRs too". Afzal
says "Kotwars from all  the villages from this area were beaten up
that day. The Salwa Judum members  ate our chicken and goats and
rampaged the whole area".

While talking  to FFDA, Afzal told that he has also injury on his
head, and he has been  threatened not to file any report with police
and/or any where.In this  context,I would like to request you to
intervene and take following  measures:

* Direct the State government of Chhattisgarh to make an  independent
inquiry and report NHRC within four weeks time;
* Direct the  State government of Chhattisgarh to bring the
perpetrators into the court of  law;
* Direct the State government of Chhattisgarh to prevent such attack
on journalists and other fact-finders on Salw Judum;
*Direct the Sate  government of Chhattisgarh to pay interim
compensation of INR 500000/- (five  lakh) and immediate medical
expenses; and
* Take anyother measures that  NHRC deems fit.
With kind regards

Sincerely
Subash  Mohapatra

Forum for Fact-finding Documentation and Advocacy
MIG-22,  Sahayog Park
(In Front of Back Gate of Prem Park),
Mahaveer Nagar,  P.O.:Ravigram, Raipur, Chhattisgarh 492 006, India
Tel: 91 771  4022587/4022906
email:ffdanews at rediffmail.com
web:  www.ffdaindia.org