[Reader-list] Mohammad Afzal Guru's Impending Execution

Vishal Rawlley vishal.rawlley at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 03:43:54 IST 2006

Googling 'clemency' + ' india' got me:
http://theseoultimes.com/ST/?url=/ST/db/read.php?idx=690 where it states:

Two recent cases of clemency have come from the relatives of victims.
Sonia Gandhi, president of the Congress, now in power in India,
secured clemency for Nalini, one of the four sentenced to death for
the murder of Rajiv Gandhi, a former Prime Minister. Rajiv was Sonia's
husband.
Gladys Staines, widow of the Australian missionary, Graham Stewart
Staines, who was burnt alive with his two sons, has recommended
clemency for their murderers.

When the majority of people - outraged by the very thought of
considering clemency - are thirsting for Afzal's blood, can reason,
logic and high principles be summoned to combat this depraved lust?

This is an emotional issue; a calm reconsideration of the facts of the
case and a reality check on the circumstances, require tedious
engagement that the blood thirsty junta has little patience for.

Can an emotive plea to uphold the high principles of Satyameva Jayate
be employed more effectively? Can we not cite instances of granting
clemency that have set high moral standards to be applauded, edified
and eulogised.

For many Kashmiris the attack on the parliament was probably the same
as the Rang De Basanti gang hijacking the radio station and executing
corrupt politicians. Afzal in probably a Bhagat Singh figure for many
jaded Kashmiri youth. I am sure many of us also feel let down that the
attack only resulted in the death of security personnel and not any of
the rascal politicians. If the attackers had taken some hostages and
bought some time, let the media come in and broadcast their heartfelt
hatred for the state that is crushing their existence and had then
been killed with indelible triumphant expressions on their dead faces,
would the junta have swayed to their cause? It could have been very
nice if Barkha Dutt was taken hostage, for example....

What led these men to make such a daring attack? Was it just because
Afzal's medical equipment business was not doing too well and he
decided a switch to his old line of work hoping it might still be more
rewarding? Or these jehadis were hellbent on attaining a place in
heaven and this seemed to be the easiest route to that?

If the real people behind the terrorist tag are brought out, if their
human stories could be serialised into a soaps, maybe then we would
not be so blood thirsty. And why cannot Sonia Gandhi and Graham
Stewart Staines express their views on national television or can some
wily jurno manipulate and coerce them into making a public statement
in favour of clemency? With the Gandhigiri wave on, an emotionally
manipulative tactic towards urging a high moral stance could be
attempted. Can we be made to understand that by not killing
retributively we shall be demonstrating our immense strength and not
weakness? Satyameva Jayate needs a good PR agency.

-Vishal