[Reader-list] Future of Prasar Bharati

Sagnik Chakravartty sagnik_chakravartty at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 11 01:18:35 IST 2007

Dear friends,
  We, the BECIL contractual employees attached to DD News wish to share our plight with all of you (intellectuals, writers, professionals and creative people) who are engaged in an online culture of debate and discussion to please read the letter we have addressed to Chief Executive Officer of Prasar Bharati, highlighting our problems. After going through the letter, you are free to comment and suggest remedies. If possible do something for Prasar Bharati and all of us.
  Anyway, go through the letter that follows below this.
  Bye and Cheers
  Sagnik Chakravartty
  Copy Writer DD News
  (on BECIL contract)(on bahalf of BECIL contractual employees)
Chief Executive Officer
Prasar Bharati,
New Delhi.

Sub: Problems of contractual news staff (BECIL contract) attached to DD News

Dear Sir,
We are  working in DD News as contractual copy writers/packaging
assistants, since the last two-three years on a BECIL contract.

We wish to state that DD News is under Prasar Bharati, an
autonomous body created by the Parliament of India. But provisions of
Prasar Bharati are not followed with regard to recruitment. Most of
the contractual staff, like us, working here, have been given contract by BECIL, which is a PSU under the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting. BECIL, by entering into the area of human resource recruitment is reaping profits. But this is precisely against the spirit of Prasar Bharati. All the casual staff
working in DD News under BECIL Contract, must be transferred to Prasar
Bharati. The Prasar Bharati Act talked about a recruitment board. We
wish to state that this recruitment board must be formed at the
earliest by the Prasar Bharati and all the BECIL contractual employees
must be transferred to this recruitment Board which will have the
power to reassess the contract and extend the contract to the
deserving casual employees. BECIL contract should immediately be
scrapped and the Prasar Bharati Recruitment Board should be set up.
Clause 10 of Prasar Bharati Act talks about such a provision.

The service conditions of Prasar Bharati should be framed immediately so that employees do not feel frustrated.

Our salary has not been revised since the past two years. Constitution
of this recruitment board at the earliest will definitely go a long
way in taking up issues faced by contractual employees like salary
rationalization for deserving employees.

All these measures will help in realizing the dream of Prasar Bharati
to be an organization modeled on the lines of BBC in true sense of the
term.

We hope you will do the needful and if possible discuss this matter in
the next meeting of the Prasar Bharati Board.

Thanking you in anticipation -

Yours sincerely,

BECIL employees (attached to DD News)