[Reader-list] Villagers oppose land acquisition for M'lore SEZ

Natesh Ullal nateshullal at rediffmail.com
Mon Jul 23 14:48:41 IST 2007

Friends,

People of 4 Panchayats of Kuthethoor, Permude, TenkaEkkar and Delanthabettu have decided to oppose their agricultural lands being acquired for a Petrochemical SEZ in Mangalore on environmental and socioeconomic grounds. They formed the Agricultaral Land Protection Committee yesterday.

Please visit - http://picasaweb.google.com/nateshullal/MangaloreSamachar
for pictures of land to be acquired at ThenkaEkkar village where the Gramsabha today has decided in one voice to refuse to even listen to R&R package details from Govt officials since they will not part with their land at any cost.

Here below are 2 stories from the Deccan Herald.

In solidarity
natesh  -

Deccan Herald
Sunday, July 22, 2007

Residents not ready to sacrifice land

From Bhakti V Hegde,DH News Service,Mangalore:

 It is a do or die situation for the people of Thenka Yekkar who are fighting a mighty battle. Amidst fear of losing their priced possesion and uncertainty of future, these lovers of nature have taken the task of saving Thenka Yekkar from being swallowed by the Mangalore Special Economic Zone (MSEZ).

The scenario in three other villages namely Delanthalabettu, Kuthetoor and Permude is also the same but the people of Thenka Yekkar are together to wage a fight unitedly againts the faulty system.

While Thenka Yekkar is predominantly an agricultural area, the MSEZ authorities want the world to believe that it is a dry land which is not fit for cultivation.

A local resident Srinivas Yekkar says that it is a clever conspiracy to trap the locals in a vicious circle. There are talks of acquiring 2,035 acres of land in four villages of Permude, Delantalabettu, Yekkar and Thenka Yekkar, he says and adds that the SEZ Act specifically states that only ‘dry vacant land’ can be aquired for the project but irrespective of this the acquisition officer has been blatantly tagging cultivable land as dry land facilitating easy acquisition.

Mr Srinivas Yekkar says that the MSEZ records say that only 23 per cent of the land area in this region is cultivable land, while the truth is that the region has sustained excellent farming for generations together. Apart from the three crops a year, the entire region is rich in flora and fauna. Herbs of medicinal importance such as beetal leaves, `Volledakodi,’ ‘Gajjigesoppu,’ ‘Astisrankala,’ ‘garga’ and others are found here. He says that city of Mangalore will face huge price hike if Yekkar is acquired for the SEZ as huge quantity of fresh vegetables and about 2000 litres of milk is supplied to Mangalore per day from Thenka Yekkar.

Gram Panchayat Member Suresh Shetty draws attention to the fact that a sum of Rs 88 lakhs have been allotted for the village for Swarna Grama Yojane, there are thousands of people living here, of which over 120 families are landless labourers.

“If their land is taken away they will be left no where,” he said and added: “Though the officials have been talking of a well paid job, we know where we stand. We are literate but not educated. These proposed industries are all high tech automated industries which will be handled by highly educated techies. Lured by these empty promises, if we leave our land we will find ourselves as attenders or cleaners in these industries.”

On the other hand, 88-year-old Subbaiah Shetty fears that if their lands are acquired, the ancesteral customs and religious rituals of Bhootaradhane will come to end.

With firm determination to live on the same land, these residents are ready to die for their lands.

Deccan Herald
Sunday, July 22, 2007

Meet opposes land acquisition for MSEZ

 DH News Service,Mangalore:

The residents of Thenka Yekkar manifested their solidarity as they all unanimously declared: We are ready to sacrifice our lives but not our fertile lands that have been the only source of our livelihood

  The residents of Thenka Yekkar manifested their solidarity as they all unanimously declared: “We are ready to sacrifice our lives but not our fertile lands that have been the only source of our livelihood’’.

A preliminary meeting was held with the residents of Thenka Yekkar, whose lands are likely to be acquired for the proposed Mangalore Special Economic Zone (MSEZ) on Saturday at the Yekkar Kodamanithaya temple hall.
Over 200 residents gathered to declare their stand on the acquisition of land in the presence of Karnataka Industrial Area Development Board (KIADB) land acquisition officer Vijayakumari Shenoy.

While Ms Shenoy came up to talk about the rehabilitation package to the people, the residents refused to even give heed to her and stood firm on their decision to fight for their rights.

Ms Shenoy further made attempts to convince the residents by saying that they were being given ‘the best package’. The residents citing examples of the plight of those who had lost their lands to MRPL, said that they do not want such things to happen to them. The locals question why there is a misconception that only a petro-chemical complex can bring development?

They proposed that since the entire region is living on agriculture, the region can be declared as ‘Agricultural special economic zone’ to promote farming.