[Reader-list] Re :Re: Why i am afraid of Mayawati?

Rahul Asthana rahul_capri at yahoo.com
Sun May 20 20:34:22 IST 2007

Hemangini,
"but i am wondering how the shift will be made from
what has been a politics of exclusion and
discrimination to one of power and governance."
In the political hierarchy of needs,issues of
"roti,kapRa aur makaan" probably come after the issue
of identity.We are a young democracy and groupthink
may evolve beyond issues of identity in due course of
time.
After making that elliptical statement about
democracy,Ill try to make two points about mayawati's
victory in particular-
1.The Executive is predominantly upper caste.So, there
wont be a sense of easy comfort between the
relationship between the two. The ego issues involved
may lead to both keeping each other on their toes
which can only be good.

2.The more important achievement of BSP in this
elections is to change the rules of the market from
monopolistic competition to oligopoly.
We can look forward to that scenario in which a vote
bank is not the baap kii jaagiir of any political
party. Perhaps the very reason that brahmins voted for
her is that BSP is the party that does not represent
the brahmins by default..in fact it is the farthest
from doing so.The brahmins want to be wooed as a vote
bank and they value democratic impact more than the
comfort of the age old social status quo in which they
were the drivers,not the dalits. Such an event can
have wonderful consequences for the politics of our
country.The social impact of this political coup will
also be very interesting; but that is probably beyond
the scope of this discussion.
Democracy,like God,works in mysterious ways I guess.

Rahul
--- Hemangini  Gupta <hemanginigupta at rediffmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> bias: his  &gt; problem with Lalu  &gt; having a
> buffaloes in his backyard and on Mayawati  &gt; he
> writes: \"But  &gt; forward planning? Infrastructure
> ideas? Modernity?  &gt; Mayawati, alas, is  &gt; the
> quintessential behenji.\"  &gt;   &gt; So what about
> Lalu\'s success as railway minister?  &gt; Could it
> be that  &gt; Mayawati hasn\'t been able to work on
> development  &gt; because she\'s not  &gt; been in
> power for more than two years collectively  &gt; in
> three terms?  &gt; Could it be that Mayawati\'s
> Ambedkar Villages scheme  &gt; has made the  &gt;
> ceiling fan finally whirl in a few villages and
> &gt; allowed a few Dalits  &gt; to gather the
> courage to go to the police station  &gt; and file
> an FIR  &gt; against the men who raped their
> daughter? Could it  &gt; be that the  &gt;
> Dalit-Brahmin alliance by Mayawati could force a
> &gt; Brahmin or two to  &gt; give up untouchability
> and accept dalits as part of  &gt; the same social
> &gt; realm as theirs?  &gt;   &gt; The questions
> don\'t bother Sengupta because the  &gt; answers
> don\'t affect  &gt; him. In other words, another
> area where I would like  &gt; Sengupta to  &gt;
> extend his realisation to is middle class  &gt;
> self-centredness. The middle  &gt; class cares only
> about itself, the rest may go to  &gt; hell. If this
> is  &gt; true even in perception, that is bad
> enough.  &gt;   &gt; I also hope his realisation
> will sooner or later  &gt; extend to adding the
> &gt; phrase \'upper caste\' to MEMCRY. After so much
> heat  &gt; on reservations,  &gt; are the yuppies
> still blind to the fact that PLUs  &gt; are
> exclusively  &gt; upper-caste? Whether its is by
> design or default  &gt; that the middle class  &gt;
> is predominantly (if not exclusively) upper caste is
>  &gt; arguable. Whether  &gt; this should be changed
> by improving the quality of  &gt; primary schools
> &gt; and/or by reservations in higher education, is
> &gt; debatable. But no one  &gt; can dispute that
> the Indian middle class is composed  &gt; of the
> upper  &gt; castes. Yet they choose not to admit
> this. Sengupta  &gt; honestly admits  &gt; that his
> convent education, metropolitan upbringing,  &gt;
> class status are  &gt; the causes of his dismay (and
> \'fear\'!) over  &gt; Mayawati\'s victory. I wish
> &gt; he\'d extend this honesty to admitting that his
> caste  &gt; is responsible in  &gt; the first place
> for his MEMCRY yuppie status.  &gt;   &gt; He
> detests the heartland politicians because they  &gt;
> don\'t speak his  &gt; idiom. But the heartland
> politicians are who they  &gt; are largely because
> &gt; of their caste.  &gt;   &gt; Kumari Mayawati,
> Mulayam Singh Yadav, Ram Vilas  &gt; Paswan, Lalu
> Prasad  &gt; Yadav and others of their ilk are
> symbols,  &gt; literally, of the political  &gt;
> assertion of those below the middle class. The logic
>  &gt; of such political  &gt; assertion, according
> to Sengupta, is:  &gt;   &gt; \"It\'s the same logic
=== message truncated ===>
&lt;https://mail.sarai.net/pipermail/reader-list/>