[Reader-list] fatima's response

Vivek Narayanan vivek at sarai.net
Sat Nov 10 17:44:10 IST 2007

Hi Fatima,

I don't think it would be appropriate for the moderator to decide whom,
and which messages, should be excluded from the list; but I do think
individuals should be given the right-- and be shown how-- to filter the
messages they find valuable and interesting, rather than allow those
messages to be drowned out in a din of harrassment and attention
seeking.  No one can say that I'm advocating a generalised censorship;
I'm only saying that individuals have ways of opting out of bombardment.

Put in another, metaphorical way: I'm saying it's ok for people to stay
away from a film screening if they wish, but it's very wrong for them to
call the police and mob to shut down the screening of the objectionable
film so that no one else is allowed to watch it.

Partha: I'm interested in others' views; but I also look to this list to
be told things I haven't heard a million times before.  And I don't
harbour the hope that certain footsoldiers can be talked out of their
deliberate polemic.

Freedom from boredom,
Vivek