[Reader-list] Nandigram: The challenges ahead

Tapas Ray tapasrayx at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 18:07:44 IST 2007

They probably did not realise the irony of it. I quote below the source
of the phrase, "It was a famous victory" from 'The Battle of Blenheim'.
I seem to remember seeing it in Alice in Wonderland (appropriately,
again), but was not able to confirm this.

Great praise the Duke of Marlbro' won,
And our good Prince Eugene.
Why 't was a very wicked thing!
Said little Wilhelmine.
Nay . . nay . . my little girl, quoth he,
It was a famous victory.

And everybody praised the Duke
Who this great fight did win.
But what good came of it at last?
Quoth little Peterkin,
Why that I cannot tell, said he,
But 't was a famous victory.

- Robert Southey (1798)

Tapas

Abhishek Hazra wrote:
> When Buddhadev was first elected chief minister some years back, Frontline
> did a cover story on it. It was titled "Behind a Famous Victory"

<snip>