[Reader-list] Gun Salutes for August 15

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Sun Aug 17 23:44:41 IST 2008

Dear Aditya Raj Kaul,

I watched the debate, and it was carried live, and I did not hear
anyone saying Inshallah, Surely if they had 'screamed' Inshallah,
given that every other shouting voice was heard, we would have heard it.
Since there were several Kashmiri muslims in the studio this evening,
some of whom had lapel mikes, if they had all (or even several of
them) screamed 'Inshallah.' surely, we would have heard. For
instance, there was a young man, identified as Kashmiri muslim, who
was sitting right next to you. I did not hear him say Inshallah, I
did not hear Sajjad Lone, or Muzaffar Beig, say Inshallah. What I did
hear was Mr. Khajuria saying that he would lead marchers towards
Baltal, (now, after the pilgrimage period is over, so he would not be
leading a party of pilgrims), which I surely consider provocative,
and a deliberate raising of the pitch of tension. I do hope that no
Kashmiri is misled by this provocation to try and confront this
'proposed' march. As that is the deliberate intention. It would be
terrible if the peaceful nature of the protests in Kashmir were to be
destroyed by provocative statements from a BJP politician. It should
be ignored.

We also heard (at the tail end of the programme)  a man who had been
a yatri, who has done seva at the Amarnath shrine, saying that he has
had no problems. If Kashmiri muslims are (all, without exception) as
communal as you seem to suggest, then surely, he would have faced
some problems. We also heard a young Kashmiri pandit who lives in
Srinagar, studies in Kashmir university, who expressed sentiments
that did not align with yours, so clearly, neither Kashmiri Muslims,
nor Kashmiri Pandits, speak in a set of binary voices without any
internal variation.

Incidentally, your contribution, though brief ( I sincerely hope it
was not edited away, and it did not seem to be, as it was a live
programme) had nothing of consequence to offer by way of a way
forward, all you could speak of was the fact that Amarnath is the
'last Hindu structure in Kashmir' which is factually incorrect. The
kheer bhawani temple ,and several others, continue to be active, and
actually have been having pilgrims and worshippers coming to them.

I think you should reflect on the fact that you went out on a major
news channel, live and said something factually incorrect. I am
willing to think that you might have said this in the heat of the
moment, without thought or pause, but do consider the fact that it
does go out as a significant distortion of the truth.

regards

Shuddha