[Reader-list] Please Think Before You Write the Subject Line

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Fri Aug 22 17:29:17 IST 2008

Dear Shivam.

I was saddened to see that you had written "Hindu Terrorism in Jammu"
in the subject line of your recent post. Also, I think your remark
about KP "sanskars" in a previous post were not in good taste, I was
saddened to read them.

Arguing against the oppression that is carried out in the Kashmir
valley by the Indian state does not mean that we have to vilify any
community. And even if communities get vilified in this debate by
some of its participants, I expect you not to reciprocate in kind. As
a journalist whose work I respect, I expect much better of you.

I must point out to you that nowhere in the report  that you had
forwarded does it say that a 'Hindu' mob attacked the Congress
politician, or that they were raising 'Hindu' slogans, (even if we
assume that they were nominally Hindu) it merely says that they were
raising 'Anti-Congress, PDP and NC" slogans.  And a mob attack,
though reprehensible, is not an act of terrorism. To say it is to
mirror the tactics of those who poison every discussion on these
matters (all over the world) by adding the prefix "Islamic" to
terrorism. It is as ridiculous to talk about Islamic or Hindu
terrorism as it is to speak of Islamic of Hindu agriculture or mining.

Crowds in the Kashmir valley often raise, "Anti Congress, PDP and NC
slogans" and they are generally Muslim crowds, and sometimes they set
fire to vehicles and ransack homes. Just as it would be totally
inappropriate to tag such an episode as an instance of "Muslim"
terrorism, so, too I think it is totally inappropriate and uncalled
for on your part to tag this report with the headline "Hindu
Terrorism in Jammu"

This kind of rhetorical grandstanding does not help anyone, and I
would urge everyone, especially Shivam, to be restrained and
thoughtful while forwarding posts.

best,

Shuddha