[Reader-list] Oranges won't work anymore

S. Jabbar sonia.jabbar at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 11:07:11 IST 2008

Actually, neither did Mehbooba Mufti!  Her father, Mufti Mohd. Sayeed was
the chief minister.  She's always been party president.

On 8/25/08 1:37 AM, "Shuddhabrata Sengupta" <shuddha at sarai.net> wrote:

> The ex director of the CBI, also happens to get the name and persona
of the
> kidnapped daughter of Mufti Muhammad Syed. It wasn't Mehbooba
Mufti, it was
> her sister, Rubaiya Syed, then a medical student.
Rubaiya Syed never became
> the chief minister of Kashmir, Mehbooba
Mufti did.

In the case of an
> ordinary person, such a slip is perhaps
understandable. But the person
> making the slip happens to have
occupied the topmost echelons of a part of
> the so called 'security'
apparatus in India, and is a decorated and
> loquacious former police
officer. This gives us an accurate picture of how
> well the
bureaucrats and spin doctors who are attempting to manage Kashmir

actually know anything about what is going on in the ground. The
nakedness
> of their humbuggery is pretty evident.  It also gives us a
fairly reasonable
> idea of how seriously to take their conjectures and

figures.

regards,

Shuddha

> [...]
>> gather in
>> the streets or at a particular spot to stage
> demonstrations. The then
>> Governor had ordered the disconnection of these
> loudspeakers,
>> which itself
>> led to protests.
>>
>>  It is a fact that
> many terrorists take shelter in places of worship.
>> During
>> my recent
> visit to the US I was told that the police had, with the
>> co-operation of
> the Muslim community and their religious leaders,
>> installed
>> CCTV
> cameras in mosques to monitor any criminal activity. In a
>> situation
>>
> like that which prevails in the Kashmir Valley, which has been highly
>>
> communalised, it is impossible to get any kind of evidence to prove
>>
> anti-national activities as no witness will be willing to come
>> forth
>> depose. Mrs Margaret Thatcher used to say publicity is the oxygen of
>>
> terrorism. Any publicity which eulogises terrorism should be
>>
> discouraged,
>> if
>> not completely banned.
>>
>>  Terrorist leaders, their
> supporters and sympathisers should be
>> immobilised
>> by using the present
> laws and detained outside Jammu & Kashmir. The
>> Government has announced
> financial assistance for the families of
>> terrorists
>> on the grounds that
> it is not their fault if the only earning
>> member of
>> their family
> becomes a militant. This approach is fraught with
>> danger and
>> the
> sooner it is given up the better. It should not become a
>> scheme to
> help
>> traitors.
>>
>>  Many so-called intellectuals talk about a referendum
> in the
>> Valley. With
>> Pakistan having hijacked the anti-India movement,
> any referendum or
>> election
>> will be irrelevant at this point of time. The
> first priority is to
>> drive
>> the
>> Pakistani terrorists out of the
> Valley and send them to the
>> country of
>> their
>> origin. The Government
> should stop all dialogue with these
>> militants who
>> are
>> nothing more
> than agents of Pakistan. Only a tough approach will
>> send the
>> right
> signal that the Government means business.

Shuddhabrata Sengupta
The
> Sarai Programme at CSDS
Raqs Media