[Reader-list] (non)citizen'sTaslima : Response to Shuddha and Naeem Mohaiemen

ARNAB CHATTERJEE apnawritings at yahoo.co.in
Mon Feb 18 12:57:36 IST 2008

 Firstly apologies to SARAI readers and writers for
reposting More on free expression for
(non)citizens--for the second time on the 16th (though
with some additions) but still minor errors and lacks
go rife: Who knows that confusion could be plural( ist
line)? Even I didn't. And that this post had gone
through on the 15th and Shuddha's impostant response
I had aboslutely missed  though Naeem Mohaiemen'one
presented itself before my eyes. Im surely aging.
                Two things for both of them : first
Shuddha. The central that I wanted to make,and I think
it went through well except a reemphasis  here is
warranted: not only freedom of speech and other
liberties, all are ordinarily obtained by the aliens
including protection irrespective of the consitutional
guarantee that is given to citizens. Consideran US
citizen with a valid visa--who is raped, her valuables
stolen, and who is hounded out from aseminar just
because she is white. Isn't this infraction? Can't she
file a private complaint and look for redress within
the national laws and then if fails, under
international laws? Shuddha and all of the SARAI list
community know that she surely can do and claim. That
is,even the protection does 'ordinarily obtain.' The
rest I've already elaborated in my post and I think
Shuddha agrees with much of it. The right to listen I
think could be construedonly as a moral right or a
complex legal one. And I think we should discuss this
in the realm of civilrights--whether it is a freedom
rather than a right.But one thing, could a right to
listen vioate the rightagainst self incrimination?
--The convict's right to keep silent and not responsd
to even exacting questions? I"ll request Shuddha,
Jeebesh,Lawrence  and all others to use this URL  for
an illuminating discussion of the right to silence vis
a vis English Common law in--
http://lawcommissionofindia.nic.in/reports/180rpt.pdf.

    Naeem here, "Taslima was the first
to write in 1989/90 about how the narrow confines and
massive crowds of boi mela had given cover to groups
of eve teasers.  In angry,clean, precise Bangla
(something she has lost over the years), shedescribed
which line, which area, which body part, which finger,
where when how-- the mathematics of nasty invasive
roping.  Through that campaign of writing she actually
managed to inspire a group of activists who formed
human chains at boi mela (this is all long forgotten."

Firstly, I may remind Naeem that it was not Taslima,
Sanjib Chattopadhyaya was the commercial first to talk
about sexual groping in bengali buses and puja crowds;
the Hungries were the first avantgarde to dothat in
parallel magazines. And the theoretical error in all
this has ( Naeem's "nasty,invasive groping")just
started to be acknowledged in orthodox, ordinary
feminist circles in Bengal. I'll give a fatal example.
That all girls are groped by lecherous men and they
hate it will be denied by a response theory first of
all; secondly what is known as a phenomenology of
feeling ( I had hinted at this in my IF SARAI post 2.5
( Towards a personal transformation of the public
sphere). That such generalisations are ridiculous have
been acknowledged by a book published by ALAP(?) in
alignment with the West Bengal Women's Commission
written by Bhaswati Chakraborty.She said while
discussing the inevitable sexual harassment contexts
--that there might be women who feel that through such
attention they discover themselves as desirable and
even might enjoy such attention, but ..BUT we are not
into discussing complex sexual psychology....etc etc
and she takes the predictable turn and u know what.
   Now,I'm far from generalising the reverse and harp
on the masculist scandal that all women enjoy or ought
to enjoy. I only think that feeling cannot be
theorised; the immediacy of consciousness cannot be
categorised in feminist or masculist brackets. That
makes them boring, theoretically incorrect  and
predictable---the lack they cover by cunning.
     What is significant about this in Taslima is how
she 'rightly exaggerates' this and brings in the
tailor, the doctor and everybody. The genuine
pornographic moment except the fictional kick.And the
power of acknowledged feminists to perform the
same--she has lately been realizing this. She will be
the best author of half,ill bred theoretical
narratives of the pure politics of dirty hands --a
stuff some people been theorising for some time. In
Taslima--I find some grand application of that. The
way she narrates her sexual escapades and names proper
names for cognitive redressal is just one instance of
the immense allergy among Calcutta feminists she has
been able to garner.Naeem's memoir made me think
through and visit this blind  alley, once more.
bye
arnab

http://help.yahoo.com/l/in/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/tools/tools-08.html