[Reader-list] Amaranth Yatra

Aman Sethi aman.am at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 12:11:07 IST 2008

FYI:
>From today's Hindu -
http://www.thehindu.com/2008/07/02/stories/2008070261380100.htm

Land Allotment to Shrine Board Cancelled.

SRINAGAR: In a bid to end the 10-day-long crisis, the Jammu and
Kashmir government on Tuesday cancelled the order of transfer of 39.88
hectares of forest land to the Shri Amarnathji Shrine Board.

Mainstream parties welcomed the decision and the Action Committee
Against Land Transfer called off the strike, planned for Wednesday,
and asked people to resume normal life. Its chairman Mian Abdul Qayoom
said it was a victory for the people of KashmirThe Cabinet, which met
with Chief Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad in the chair, decided to cancel
the allotment of 39.88 hectares of forest land "diverted to the Shri
Amarnath Shrine Board at Baltal and Domail."

The Cabinet decided that land for Amarnath pilgrims will be made
available to the Tourism Department "at various locations from Jammu
onwards to the Holy Cave via Baltal-Domail as well as Pahalgam yatra
routes," according to Chief Secretary S.S. Kapur. It reiterated the
commitment to provide infrastructure and logistical support for the
yatra.

The Opposition National Conference president Omar Abdullah welcomed
the decision saying that "no party should have any objection as the
arrangements of yatra will be the State's responsibility now."

People's Democratic Party president Mehbooba Mufti, while welcoming
the decision, could not understand land transfer to the Tourism
Department. CPI(M) State secretary M.Y. Tarigami and People's
Democratic Front president Hakeem Yaseen, while hailing the decision,
hoped that it would end the political stalemate and the strike.

In Jammu, 75 people, including an MP, were injured in violence during
protests against the cancellation of land allotment. The protests were
called by the Bharatiya Janata Party, Shiv Sena and Bajrang Dal.
Curfew was clamped in parts of Jammu.

(c) Copyright 2000 - 2008 The Hindu