[Reader-list] Not so peaceful message from Hazratbal

S. Jabbar sonia.jabbar at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 11:30:24 IST 2008

Dear Radhika,

The cannon off my shoulder was only a turn of phrase, and not a question
about your faith in violence.  You may choose to see this post as another
'outburst,' but since you have simultaneously declared your faith in
non-violence and in Narendra Modi it's got me curious.

Is your faith in ahimsa absolute?  Do you believe in it as a fundamental
principle or is it dependent on circumstances?  For instance, if there is
violence against your person, family, property, friend, community, do you
believe in hitting back or do you restrain the impulse because of your
belief in violence begetting more violence?

>From what you've written it seems that you would believe in restraint.  In
which case I'm baffled by your defence of Mr. Action-Reaction Modi. Do you
live in Gujarat?  Even if you don't, I've read from your posts that you
are/were a journalist and so must have followed the Gujarat events closely.

Regardless of Modi's track record in governance I'm surprised and dismayed
that you refuse to condemn his hand in the murder of more than a thousand
citizens of this country in an event that can only be described as a pogrom.

>From the indoctrination camps amongst adivasis in the Dangs, to pre-Godhra
where gangs of so-called kar sevaks were already causing havoc in
Faizabad-Ayodhya, to Godhra, where it is still a mystery as to how a crowd
managed to burn down an entire coach in a train that was moving, to the
post- Godhra 'action-reaction' that went on for weeks, to the actions of the
Police that refused to curb rioters, help victims, or cooperate with the
army when the central government was forced to call it out, to the camps
where victims were forced to stay for months on end and no steps were taken
to rehabilitate them, all of this was under the able administration of Modi.
Four days after the violence was unleashed Geoge Fernandes as Defence
Minister went to Gujarat to assess the situation.  He was nearly lynched
when he tried to stop a crowd of Bajrang Dalis out on their sacred mission
to loot, kill and rape.

I went with a small delegation of citizens to meet the PM.  He tried to make
out that the whole thing (on day 4) was the creation of the media and that
things were not so bad.  When we challenged him he admitted things were
pretty bad.  When we asked why, when SIMI could be banned that the
VHP-Bajrang Dal gangs in Gujarat could not, especially in this crisis, he
said that such things were difficult to do because 'we were a democracy.'
My answer to Vajpayee about the nature of our dubious democracy is no doubt
recorded in some file, somewhere, but that is neither here nor there.  By
day 4 it was clear to many people in this country, that like 1984, the
Gujarat 'riots' was sponsored by the party in power to gain in the
forthcoming elections, which it did.

In victory Modi could have been more generous with the victims of violence
but he chose not to be.  The way the courts in Gujarat operated post the
violence  was hardly the mark of a well-governed state.  The only case that
was concluded successfully was the Bilquis Bano case where the woman saw 12
family members being butchered in front of her before she was brutally
gang-raped.  Because your courageous Narendrabhai refused to take
responsibility for her safety against the thugs in his party who threatened
her life if she dared to depose before the court and the judges in Gujarat
who were noted by the Supreme Court to be acting prejudicially, the case had
to be transferred to Bombay.  Bilquis had to be moved from safe house to
safe house across our so-called free country until the judgment.

Can Muslims live in Gujarat without fear, and as equal citizens in a country
that you yourself have observed is their country of choice, or must they
forever cower in their ghettoes in fear?  Governance is not only about
bijli, pani, sadak.  Leaders, particularly those whom we call courageous,
are not supposed to be leading mobs to the charge and justifying their
outrageous behaviour with talk of Gujarati Asmita.

Whether it is '47, '84, '92,  2002, and all the other big & small communal
or caste pogroms that have caused death, injury, fear, distrust and
destruction, they need to be soundly condemned, regardless of the identity
of the perpetrator or the victim.  Particularly from those of us who think
of themselves as practitioners of ahimsa.

--sj