[Reader-list] Request to list moderator

Isaac souweine isouweine at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 20:06:29 IST 2008

I think a posting limit might be a worthy middle ground between the
idealized poles of "unfettered discursive commons" and "safe place where the
crazies can't bother us" that have characterized the ongoing debate on list
etiquette. Posting limits would force people to think a bit more carefully
about what/when they choose to write and would encourage the most reckless
sniping to move off line (where it would of course wither and die, since the
whole point is to snipe with an audience). And, crucially, the posting limit
does not really curtail free speech (the burning sixth post can always be
delivered *kal subha mein*), rather, it just manages it for the betterment
of the community.

Perhaps enforcement of the limit would be impractical, but at the least it
is an interesting contribution to the questions of communal self
organization raised by the etiquette question.

It would be nice if people took the time to edit their posts too :-)

Cheers,
Isaac