[Reader-list] Sajek: Fact Finding Committee # 1

Shambhu Rahmat shambhu.rahmat at gmail.com
Sun May 4 13:34:18 IST 2008

This is the first fact-finding team report of Bengali settler attacks
on Jumma/Pahari people in CHT.  A second team releases its report
Monday.

#########

http://www.drishtipat.org/blog/2008/04/27/sajek/

20th April 2008 Incident at Sajek Union, under Rangamati District,
Chittagong Hill Tracts.
Fact Finding Committee Report

We learnt from the daily newspapers that seven villages in Baghaichari
had been burnt to the ground, including more than a hundred homes of
Paharis and Bengalis, that Paharis and Bengalis were blaming each
other for the incident. It was difficult to get a clear picture of
what had happened on the basis of media reports. Beside that, most
daily newspapers quoted ISPR, the Army news agency as its news source.
In this situation, we felt it was urgent that we go there ourselves,
and try to found out what had happened. A team of fourteen consisting
of political activists, a university teacher, a journalist, cultural
and student activisits and leaders, left for Sajek on 26 April 2008.
The team was led by Moshrefa Mishu, convenor, Biplobi Oikko Front.
>From the morning of 27 April to 30 April 2008, we went to the area
where the incident took place, and also to other places in Marishya in
Baghaichori, Dui Tila, Kobakhali in Dighinala, Sadhana Tila, Lichu
Bagan, Moner Manush, Chongrachori as well as surrounding habitations,
markets, forest area, garden and hillocks. We spoke to both Paharis
and Bengalis, and also to some of the victims of the Sajek incident.
We strongly feel that general members of the public should be informed
about what we saw, heard and observed, and the conclusions that we
reached on the basis of our fact-finding exercise. This is the reason
for this press conference.

To ascertain what had truly happened on the night of 20th April in
Sajek, our investigation team left for Sajek from Khagrachari. On the
morning of 27th April, before we could reach the affected area, our
investigation team was stopped at Baghaihat Zone. We were asked to get
out of our cars, write our full names at the army camp gate, our bags
were checked and list of items were prepared. After this we were taken
inside the camp on orders of its second in command, Major Kabir. While
we were waiting, Major Hafiz came and told us that in the current
situation, it would be dangerous for us to visit the area, that we
would not be permitted to go there because of concerns about our
personal safety. Major Kabir came into the area where we were seated,
and we were asked to introduce ourselves again, to re-enter our names
and address in the identity record book. Both majors reminded us of
the kidnapping of Danida employee Shumon a few months earlier. We were
advised to return to Khagrachari. While we were talking, an army
official came and began taking our photographs with a still camera.
After a while, he began to use a video camera, and to take our
photographs from different angles. We could not help but think: if we
could not go to the area then why take our photographs? Was our
personal safety the major concern?

For the next two days, we went on field visits outside Sajek. Each
army camp that we came across, seemed to know about us. There are two
zones in Khagrachari, and both combined have more than 18 army camps.
While on the road, we were stopped several times and asked where we
had come from, where we were going, etc. Our vehicles were stopped and
inspected, we were asked to come out of our cars. The Committee's
experience convinced its members that concerns over their personal
safety was not the issue. What struck them was the army's ability to
exercise power.

On 27th April, when we were stopped at the army camp in Baghaihat
Zone, Major Kabir narrated the incidents of 20 th April. After his
narration, the army officials changed their mind and decided to let us
visit the affected area. But this was to be under their supervision,
and in army vehicles. We were bundled into two army vehicles, and
taken to only one of the four affected villages. Major Hafiz and Major
Kabir accompanied us, alongwith twelve soldiers, in an army pickup. We
were permitted to stay there for 20 minutes, then brought back. When
we said we wanted to go to the three other villages (Purbopara,
Retkaba, Baibacchora), we were told there was no need, that we would
be met by similar scenes.

While passing Baghaihat market area, we saw burnt houses on both sides
of the road. The village we were taken to, Gangarammuk Dor, was
deserted, and looked more like a burial ground. As we stood there,
Buddhi Ranjan Chakma, a Pahari, suddenly appeared, rushed to Moshrefa
Mishu, leader of the Fact Finding Committee, held her tight, and began
recounting the events of 20th April. He wept and said that Bengali
settlers were responsible for the arson attack of 20th April. This
incident took place in front of the army members who had taken us
there. Major Kabir quickly intervened, in a manner which prevented us
from speaking further with Buddhi Ranjan Chakma. Another Pahari came
up to us and whispered, we are not allowed to say anything. He was too
afraid, he said, to tell us his name. We saw a Bengali settler, we
learnt from him that the settlers were staying at the local market,
under the supervision of the army. We learnt that the affected
Paharis, who were feeling terrified, had taken refuge in the local
Buddhist Bihar (five hundred feet from the Gangarammuk Dor army camp).
Some Paharis had taken refuge in the forest and in the homes of
relatives. We were not allowed to walk more than two hundred feet away
from the place where we had gotten down from the army vehicle. We were
asked  to return to the army vehicles under armed guard, and were
forced to leave the area.  While in the affected area, we also learnt
that forcible acquisition of land by Bengali settlers has increased
since the state of emergency was declared on 11 January, 2007. Bengali
settlers are building houses on the occupied pieces of land. This bit
of information was substantiated by both Paharis and Bengalis, when we
inspected adjoining areas.

Subsequently, we managed to meet Pahari victims of Sajek. One of them,
who did not wish to reveal his name, told us:

"Last January, our houses were grabbed by the settlers, under the
leadership of Shomo Andolon leader Golam Mowla. We don't get a chance
to speak when council office meetings are held. When the Raja
(Devasish Roy) came to visit, the army camp ordered us not to speak to
him. On the night of 20th April, it was very hot, and I was sitting
outside the house that I had raised after the January attacks.
Suddenly I heard some Bengalis shouting "Narae Takbir Allahu Akbar". I
could see fire in the distance. I could hear Paharis shouting "Ujo,
Ujo" (advance). At this time, I saw an army vehicle. By then, both my
house and other surrounding houses had caught fire. On the one hand,
our houses were burning, while on the other, the settlers were
looting."

When we visited Baghaichori Marishya, Dui Tila, Kobakhali in
Dighinala, Sadhana Tila, Chongrachori and other areas over the next
couple of days, we saw more evidence of state-supported land-grabbing,
Bengali occupation of Pahari land by force, and the setting up of new
settlements. The picture was the same in all areas: since 11 January
2007, the process of Bengali settlers grabbing Pahari land has
accelerated, this is happening under the supervision of the armed
forces.  We saw the following:

1. Bengalis have houses which are temporary shelters, with only four
khuti (pillar). There are hundreds of such homes in the Dui Tila area.
We spoke to Bengali inhabitants, who told us that they live there for
short periods only (see attached picture 1).

2. Members of the Fact Finding Committee found that most Bengalis have
two houses, the more elaborate ones are lived-in permanently.
Dighinala and Lichu Bagan are 12 kilometers apart, while travelling
from one place to the other, we saw only Bengali houses, clustered on
either side of the road. We counted three madrasas, more than one
mosque, and Bengali shops standing by the roadside. We interviewed
settlers who told us that they had received 4 acres and 1/70th land in
Lichubagan (for cultivation), and the remaining 1/30th land on
BetChari (for living).

3. We encountered similar processes in Dui Tila and Chongrachori. When
we went inside Bengali homes, we saw only a few utensils, and no
bedding or other household items. When asked, they admitted that they
were given 4 acres and 1/70th land here, and the rest, 1/30th portion
in the more populated areas, for living. The settlers informed us that
the local administration had told them that these lands belong to the
government, not the Paharis. Therefore, Bengalis have just as much
right to this land. This area is guarded by soldiers who patrol at
night.

Major Kabir, second-in-command of Baghaihat zone told us:

"Some external terrorists from outside Sajek have set these fires.
There is no conflict between Bengalis and Paharis in this area. Those
who set the fire don't want the current communal harmony between
Bengalis and Paharis to stay intact. Since they want to create a
terrorist center in this area, they try to keep both sides agitated."

Even though army officials claimed that there was "communal harmony,"
the fact remains that tension and conflict prevails in the area over
land grabbing of Bengali settlers. So how can there be "communal
harmony"? On the contrary, we think that words like "terrorist attack"
are often used to hide the administration's role in assisting Bengali
settlers to forcefuly occupy Pahari land. Many incidents of violent
attacks of Pahari villages by Bengali settlers exist. For instance,
the Mahalcchari incident of 26 August 2003 when ten Pahari villages
were attacked by settler Bengalis, with Army support, leading to the
death of a former Union Parishad chairman, and a child. Or, the
Maishcchari incident of 4 April 2006, when Bengali settlers occupied
the land of a Buddhist temple. In the subsequent conflict, 4 Pahari
villages were burnt to the ground, a Buddhist monk was attacked, and
four teenage girls were raped. These are only two among many such
incidents.

During the Fact Finding Committee's visit, another incident of arson
took place. On 28 April 2008, a Bengali settler's house was set on
fire around 10 pm, in an area where the army was on patrol. The army
immediately arrested Rabindra Chakma (22, father's name, Shashimohon
Chakma), Shushil Chakma (26, father's name, Lakhmichandra Chakma),
Ratna Bikash Chakma (22, father's name, Gunobir Chakma), and Shangram
Chakma (22, father's name, Ashok Kumar Chakma). The next day, the
national dailies reported the arrest of three Paharis. We are
concerned about the fourth arrestee, and generally-speaking, about the
fate of all those arrested.

Based on the investigation carried out by the Fact Finding Committee, we demand:

1. The immediate formation of an independent judicial committee to
investigate the Sajek incident, and that the judicial report be
completed and made publicly available within 6 days of this press
conference.

2. The Chittagong Hill Tracts area should be opened up to the national
media in the interests of the right to know, and the free
dissemination of information.

3. Work should immediately begin on the preparation and publication of
a White Paper on past incidents of killing, rape and oppression in the
Chittagong Hill Tracts.

4. Land grabbing and oppression of the Paharis should cease immediately.

Members of the Fact Finding Committee:

1. Moshrefa Mishu, convenor, Biplobi Oikko Front.
2. Dr. Manosh Chowdhury, professor, Department of Anthropology,
Jahangirnagar University.
3. Udisa Islam, journalist
4. Rico Chakma, chairman, Greater Pahari Student Parishad
5. Manjurul Ahsan, convenor, Shangskritir Naya Shetu
6. Md Arifuzzaman, member, Shangskritir Naya Shetu
7. Nurur Rahman, convenor, Biplabi Chatra Jubo Andolan
8. Saifuddin Sohel, organizer, Biplabi Chatra Jubo Andolan, Chittagong branch
9. Sohan, Garments Workers Unity Forum
10. Nepali Chakma, member, Hill Womens Federation
11. Rina Chakma, organizational editor, Hill Womens Federation
12. Shahadat Hussain, Jatiyo Biplabi Front
13. Asif Akbar, poet and little magazine worker
14. Nisha Chakma, student, Khagrachari