[Reader-list] Condemn the violence

prakash ray pkray11 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 01:16:47 IST 2008

Dear all or atleast whom it may concern,

Some fanatics think that they have only authority to speak, to do, to bark
and to bite. They have many names and faces: Bal Thakrey, Raj Thakrey, Babu
Bajrangi, Togadia,  Aditya  Raj.......

I  wonder if they know that the great grand father of the hindutva brigade
Mr Savarkar delivered his two most famous speeches in British universities
in 1906 and 1907 against the British Rule in India. I quote from the Report
of the Committee on the Working of Central Universities (appointed by the
UGC, 1983, p.44):

"Political activity in the universities is natural because the university is
a community of thinking people, of those who are exploring the frontiers of
knowledge and of those who criticize and evaluate every idea before
accepting it. Our democratic tradition, and now the Constitution, ensures
fundamental rights to all citizens, which include freedom of thought and
speech, and freedom of association. Teachers and a section of students are
not only voters but they can also be candidates in local, State or
Parliamentary elections. We, therefore, see nothing wrong in political
parties being active on the campuses of our universities. Presentation of
and debates about different ideologies and plans and perspective of national
development are to be welcomed and political activity directed towards this
end would be wholesome for the growth of the universities."

Nothing more to say...

Prakash