[Reader-list] In Defense of Piracy - Lawrence Lessig

Jeebesh jeebesh at sarai.net
Mon Oct 13 13:13:57 IST 2008

OCTOBER 11, 2008
Essay

In Defense of Piracy

Digital technology has made it easy to create new works from existing
art, but copyright law has yet to catch up.

By LAWRENCE LESSIG
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122367645363324303.html

In early February 2007, Stephanie Lenz's 13-month-old son started
dancing. Pushing a walker across her kitchen floor, Holden Lenz
started moving to the distinctive beat of a song by Prince, "Let's Go
Crazy." He had heard the song before. The beat had obviously stuck. So
when Holden heard the song again, he did what any sensible 13-month-
old would do -- he accepted Prince's invitation and went "crazy" to
the beat. Holden's mom grabbed her camcorder and, for 29 seconds,
captured the priceless image of Holden dancing, with the barely
discernible Prince playing on a CD player somewhere in the background.

Ms. Lenz wanted her mother to see the film. But you can't easily email
a movie. So she did what any citizen of the 21st century would do: She
uploaded the file to YouTube and sent her relatives and friends the
link. They watched the video scores of times. It was a perfect YouTube
moment: a community of laughs around a homemade video, readily shared
with anyone who wanted to watch.

Sometime over the next four months, however, someone from Universal
Music Group also watched Holden dance. Universal manages the
copyrights of Prince. It fired off a letter to YouTube demanding that
it remove the unauthorized "performance" of Prince's music. YouTube,
to avoid liability itself, complied. A spokeswoman for YouTube
declined to comment.

This sort of thing happens all the time today. Companies like YouTube
are deluged with demands to remove material from their systems. No
doubt a significant portion of those demands are fair and justified.
Universal's demand, however, was not. The quality of the recording was
terrible. No one would download Ms. Lenz's video to avoid paying
Prince for his music. There was no plausible way in which Prince or
Universal was being harmed by Holden Lenz.

YouTube sent Ms. Lenz a notice that it was removing her video. She
wondered, "Why?" What had she done wrong? She pressed that question
through a number of channels until it found its way to the Electronic
Frontier Foundation (on whose board I sat until the beginning of
2008). The foundation's lawyers thought this was a straightforward
case of fair use. Ms. Lenz consulted with the EFF and filed a "counter-
notice" to YouTube, arguing that no rights of Universal were violated
by Holden's dance.

Yet Universal's lawyers insist to this day that sharing this home
movie is willful copyright infringement under the laws of the United
States. On their view of the law, she is liable to a fine of up to
$150,000 for sharing 29 seconds of Holden dancing. Universal declined
to comment.

How is it that sensible people, people no doubt educated at some of
the best universities and law schools in the country, would come to
think it a sane use of corporate resources to threaten the mother of a
dancing 13-month-old? What is it that allows these lawyers and
executives to take a case like this seriously, to believe there's some
important social or corporate reason to deploy the federal scheme of
regulation called copyright to stop the spread of these images and
music? "Let's Go Crazy" indeed!

It doesn't have to be like this. We could craft copyright law to
encourage a wide range of both professional and amateur creativity,
without threatening Prince's profits. We could reject the notion that
Internet culture must oppose profit, or that profit must destroy
Internet culture. But real change will be necessary if this is to be
our future -- changes in law, and changes in us.

For now, trials like Ms. Lenz's are becoming increasingly common. Both
professionals, such as the band Girl Talk or the artist Candice
Breitz, and amateurs, including thousands creating videos posted on
YouTube, are finding themselves the target of overeager lawyers.
Because their creativity captures or includes the creativity of
others, the owners of the original creation are increasingly invoking
copyright to stop the spread of this unauthorized speech. This new
work builds upon the old by in effect "quoting" the old. But while
writers with words have had the freedom to quote since time
immemorial, "writers" with digital technology have not yet earned this
right. Instead, the lawyers insist permission is required to include
the protected work in anything new.

Not all owners, of course. Viacom, for example, has effectively
promised to exempt practically any amateur remix from its lawyers'
concerns. But enough owners insist on permission to have touched, and
hence, taint, an extraordinary range of extraordinary creativity,
including remixes in the latest presidential campaign. During the
Republican primary, for example, Fox News ordered John McCain's
campaign to stop using a clip of Sen. McCain at a Fox News-moderated
debate in an ad. And two weeks ago, Warner Music Group got YouTube to
remove a video attacking Barack Obama, which used pieces of songs like
the Talking Heads' "Burning Down the House." (Spokesman Will Tanous of
Warner Music Group, which represents the Talking Heads, says the
request came from the band's management.) Around the same time, NBC
asked the Obama campaign to pull an ad that remixed some NBC News
footage with Tom Brokaw and Keith Olbermann.

We are in the middle of something of a war here -- what some call "the
copyright wars"; what the late Jack Valenti called his own "terrorist
war," where the "terrorists" are apparently our kids. But if I asked
you to shut your eyes and think about these "copyright wars," your
mind would not likely run to artists like Girl Talk or creators like
Stephanie Lenz. Peer-to-peer file sharing is the enemy in the
"copyright wars." Kids "stealing" stuff with a computer is the target.
The war is not about new forms of creativity, not about artists making
new art.

Yet every war has its collateral damage. These creators are this war's
collateral damage. The extreme of regulation that copyright law has
become makes it difficult, sometimes impossible, for a wide range of
creativity that any free society -- if it thought about it for just a
second -- would allow to exist, legally. In a state of "war," we can't
be lax. We can't forgive infractions that might at a different time
not even be noticed. Think "Eighty-year-old Grandma Manhandled by TSA
Agents," and you're in the right frame for this war as well.

The work of these remix creators is valuable in ways that we have
forgotten. It returns us to a culture that, ironically, artists a
century ago feared the new technology of that day would destroy. In
1906, for example, perhaps America's then most famous musician, John
Phillip Sousa, warned Congress about the inevitable loss that the
spread of these "infernal machines" -- the record player -- would
cause. As he described it:

"When I was a boy...in front of every house in the summer evenings you
would find young people together singing the songs of the day or the
old songs. Today you hear these infernal machines going night and day.
We will not have a vocal chord left. The vocal chords will be
eliminated by a process of evolution, as was the tail of man when he
came from the ape."

A professional fearful that new technology would destroy the amateur.
"The tide of amateurism cannot but recede," he predicted. A recession
that he believed would only weaken culture.

A new generation of "infernal machines" has now reversed this trend.
New technology is restoring the "vocal chords" of millions. Wikipedia
is a text version of this amateur creativity. Much of YouTube is the
video version. A new generation has been inspired to create in a way
our generation could not imagine. And tens of thousands, maybe
millions, of "young people" again get together to sing "the songs of
the day or the old songs" using this technology. Not on corner
streets, or in parks near their homes. But on platforms like YouTube,
or MySpace, with others spread across the world, whom they never met,
or never even spoke to, but whose creativity has inspired them to
create in return.

The return of this "remix" culture could drive extraordinary economic
growth, if encouraged, and properly balanced. It could return our
culture to a practice that has marked every culture in human history
-- save a few in the developed world for much of the 20th century --
where many create as well as consume. And it could inspire a deeper,
much more meaningful practice of learning for a generation that has no
time to read a book, but spends scores of hours each week listening,
or watching or creating, "media."

Yet our attention is not focused on these creators. It is focused
instead upon "the pirates." We wage war against these "pirates"; we
deploy extraordinary social and legal resources in the absolutely
failed effort to get them to stop "sharing."

This war must end. It is time we recognize that we can't kill this
creativity. We can only criminalize it. We can't stop our kids from
using these tools to create, or make them passive. We can only drive
it underground, or make them "pirates." And the question we as a
society must focus on is whether this is any good. Our kids live in an
age of prohibition, where more and more of what seems to them to be
ordinary behavior is against the law. They recognize it as against the
law. They see themselves as "criminals." They begin to get used to the
idea.

That recognition is corrosive. It is corrupting of the very idea of
the rule of law. And when we reckon the cost of this corruption, any
losses of the content industry pale in comparison.

Copyright law must be changed. Here are just five changes that would
make a world of difference:

Deregulate amateur remix: We need to restore a copyright law that
leaves "amateur creativity" free from regulation. Before the 20th
century, this culture flourished. The 21st century could see its
return. Digital technologies have democratized the ability to create
and re-create the culture around us. Where the creativity is an
amateur remix, the law should leave it alone. It should deregulate
amateur remix.

What happens when others profit from this creativity? Then a line has
been crossed, and the remixed artists plainly ought to be paid -- at
least where payment is feasible. If a parent has remixed photos of his
kid with a song by Gilberto Gil (as I have, many times), then when
YouTube makes the amateur remix publicly available, some compensation
to Mr. Gil is appropriate -- just as, for example, when a community
playhouse lets neighbors put on a performance consisting of a series
of songs sung by neighbors, the public performance of those songs
triggers a copyright obligation (usually covered by a blanket license
issued to the community playhouse). There are plenty of models within
the copyright law for assuring that payment. We need to be as creative
as our kids in finding a model that works.

Deregulate "the copy": Copyright law is triggered every time there is
a copy. In the digital age, where every use of a creative work
produces a "copy," that makes as much sense as regulating breathing.
The law should also give up its obsession with "the copy," and focus
instead on uses -- like public distributions of copyrighted work --
that connect directly to the economic incentive copyright law was
intended to foster.

Simplify: If copyright regulation were limited to large film studios
and record companies, its complexity and inefficiency would be
unfortunate, though not terribly significant. But when copyright law
purports to regulate everyone with a computer, there is a special
obligation to make sure this regulation is clear. It is not clear now.
Tax-code complexity regulating income is bad enough; tax-code
complexity regulating speech is a First Amendment nightmare.

Restore efficiency: Copyright is the most inefficient property system
known to man. Now that technology makes it trivial, we should return
to the system of our framers requiring at least that domestic
copyright owners maintain their copyright after an automatic, 14-year
initial term. It should be clear who owns what, and if it isn't, the
owners should bear the burden of making it clear.

Decriminalize Gen-X: The war on peer-to-peer file-sharing is a
failure. After a decade of fighting, the law has neither slowed file
sharing, nor compensated artists. We should sue not kids, but for
peace, and build upon a host of proposals that would assure that
artists get paid for their work, without trying to stop "sharing."
—Adapted from "Remix" by Lawrence Lessig, to be published by The
Penguin Press on Oct. 16, 2008. Copyright by Lawrence Lessig, 2008.
Printed by arrangement with The Penguin Press, a member of Penguin
Group (USA) Inc.

Lawrence Lessig is a professor of law at Stanford Law School, and co-
founder of Creative Commons.