[Reader-list] US: Colin Powell & a Muslim Gravestone

Naeem Mohaiemen naeem.mohaiemen at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 00:24:08 IST 2008

Black President in the house!! It's really going to happen, holy cow! - Naeem

On "Meet the Press" today, Colin L. Powell concluded his endorsement
of Sen. Barack Obama by referring to the death of a Muslim soldier,
Kareem Rashad Sultan Khan of Manahawkin, N.J., who was killed in Iraq
on Aug. 6, 2007, and whose remains were buried in Arlington. Kareem
Rashad Sultan Khan and three other soldiers....were killed in Baquba
after a bomb detonated while they were checking abandoned houses for
explosives. They served in the Stryker Brigade combat team of the
Army's 2nd Infantry Division, based in Ft. Lewis, Washington. Mr. Khan
graduated from Southern Regional High School in Manahawkin in 2005,
and enlisted in the Army a few months later, spurred by his memories
of the 9/11 terror attacks. "His Muslim faith did not make him not
want to go. It never stopped him," his father, Feroze Khan, told the
Gannett News Service in a story printed shortly after his death. "He
looked at it that he's American and he has a job to do." This is what
Powell said about Khan on "Meet the Press:"He was 14 years old at the
time of 9/11, and he waited until he could go serve his country, and
he gave his life," Mr. Powell said. "Now, we have got to stop
polarizing ourselves in this way."

http://www.truveo.com/Meet-the-PressCollin-Powell-Endorsing-Barack-Obama/id/738770379

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/10/19/135740/17/131/635488