[Reader-list] Ways of Life and Transgressions

Tea BeeDi tbd.lists at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 08:02:53 IST 2008

Hmm.. Who is not an artist?

Some how the following that a friend pointed out, in the context
of a conversation on dropouts, finds an 'artistic', 'religio' and
wordly stance against (hmm, for?) the fanatics of this conversation.
no? :)

-d

---

Leary, ~1960: "Like every great religion of the past we seek to find
the divinity within and to express this revelation in a life of
glorification and the worship of God. These ancient goals we define in
the metaphor of the present — turn on, tune in, drop out."

Leary later explained in his 1983 autobiography Flashbacks:
" 	'Turn on' meant go within to activate your neural and genetic
equipment. Become sensitive to the many and various levels of
consciousness and the specific triggers that engage them. Drugs were
one way to accomplish this end. 'Tune in' meant interact harmoniously
with the world around you - externalize, materialize, express your new
internal perspectives. Drop out suggested an elective, selective,
graceful process of detachment from involuntary or unconscious
commitments. 'Drop Out' meant self-reliance, a discovery of one's
singularity, a commitment to mobility, choice, and change. Unhappily
my explanations of this sequence of personal development were often
misinterpreted to mean 'Get stoned and abandon all constructive
activity'.

---