[Reader-list] Go, Fly A Kite!

Sujata & Samantak kokopeli at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 23:10:17 IST 2009

Dear Shuddha,
Thank you for your wonderfully evocative piece on the "pornography" of state
rituals on occasions like Independence Day and Republic Day. Your
description of the mandatory flag hoisting and the expressions of those
involved in these tragicomic moments was marvellously accurate and close to
the bone.

But, you know, there are still a few places and a few institutions where
Independence Day and Republic Day are not mere empty (and, for their
participants, slightly irritating) events, where "quiet, sober and personal
reflection on what liberty might mean", as you put it, does take place,
where the bloodletting of Partition is mourned and a quiet moment observed
in memory of those whose blood was shed.

These places are never, thankfully, in the glare of the media, nor are the
institutions which organise such events usually located in cities. I know of
several such small, rural NGOs and schools (or NGOs which run schools),
where I have been privileged to observe precisely the kind of "celebration"
of our freedom that would be, I think, more to your liking (and perhaps
others who are on this list).

And quite often, after the songs and the poems, the dances and the speeches,
we have gone off to fly our kites before sitting down to a good wholesome
(late) lunch and dozed off gently in the midst of a drowsy discussion of
what freedom means...

Happy Independence Day!
Samantak