[Reader-list] Nuclear Blasts 1998

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 19:48:30 IST 2009

Dear all

I am posting an article on what one of the scientists associated with the
nuclear tests of 1998 of Indian state, has to say about it, as also the
response of the Govt. What is strange is that while the theory of credible
deterrence is a useless claim (only helping the ego, simply because if the
enemy has just one nuclear missile, that is enough to strike you), even the
bragging by Indian state of its achievements now seems to be taken to shreds
and pieces. If this is true, one of the so-called 'few' achievements by NDA
is also out as a 'failure.' Of course, the blasts never helped in achieving
just goals for the modern world, nor for the Indian state.

May be our govt must accept Mr. Amartya Sen's words, which I put in this way
after having read him quite a lot:

 'The strength of India lies in being a multi-racial, multi-ethnic,
multi-lingual, multi-religious, multi-party, responsible democratic state
rather than conducting nuclear tests and shooting in darkness to achieve
goals of being a superpower.'  (Ironical to come from Sen that India should
try to become a superpower, because he is a Leftist by ideology and Leftists
don't support the idea of India becoming a superpower.)

Regards

Rakesh

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/pokhranii-issue-little-merit-in-scientists-claim-says-govt/507972/0

Pokhran-II issue: Little merit in scientist's claim, says Govt
A former senior DRDO scientist's contention that the 1998 Pokhran nuclear
tests had not met the desired objective on Thursday did not receive much
attention from the government which appeared to be dismissive of it.

"Somebody has made a statement. I was puzzled by the statement. If you are
not puzzled, you are a genius," Home Minister P Chidambaram told reporters
when asked to comment on the claim made by K Santhanam, who had been
involved in the Pokhran-II tests.

"The government will find out (the veracity of Santhanam's statement)," he
said indicating he found little merit in the scientist's claim.

Santhanam has said that the thermonuclear or hydrogen bomb in May 1998 was
of low yield and not the one that would meet the country's strategic
objectives. He said India needed to conduct more atomic tests and should not
sign CTBT.

The scientist's version was contested by Brajesh Mishra, National Security
Advisor in the Vajpayee government, who said R Chidambaram, then chief of
the Department of Atomic Energy, had reported to him on May 13 that year
that all parameters had been met in the five tests carried out and there was
no need to undertake a sixth one.

"It was clear to us that the thermonuclear as also the nuclear tests have
been successful," Mishra said.

Commenting on Santhanam's remarks, Navy Chief Admiral Sureesh Mehta said
India's nuclear deterrence capabilities were "proven and capable enough".

"As far we are concerned, we go by the views of the scientists. They have
given us certain capability and that is capable enough to provide deterrence
and they are proven," he said when asked about the capabilities of India's
nuclear arsenal.

Pointing out that India follows the 'no-first strike' policy, the Naval
Chief said "we are a nation that maintains a credible deterrence and that is
more than enough to deter anybody."

Santhanam contended that the international seismological community had made
measurements and come to the conclusion that the yield from the device was
below what was claimed by India.

He said no country in the world has ever managed to get its thermonuclear
weapon right in just one test.

"I believe in the option that if the opportunity comes we should conduct
another test. That has been my stand...I have made it very clear for years,"
he said.

Santhanam maintained that India should desist from signing CTBT as it needed
to conduct more thermonuclear tests.

His view was shared by nuclear scientist Subramaniam who said "there was
something wrong with the seismic signals which seemed pretty weak to me
then...so I would tend to agree with Santhanam".