[Reader-list] "We Are All Hindus Now"

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 07:54:48 IST 2009

Dear Yasir

I agree with your post, which is why I had mentioned in one of my posts,
that Hindu is actually a combination of various ways of life, as also Islam
and Christianity. The problem doesn't occur when people with different ways
of life co-exist, but when one particular set of people (who live life in
same particular way) force their will upon others to make them live in the
same particular way as well, which is not acceptable.

What it simply means is that just as the RSS or Islamic fundamentalists have
no right to force people to live thinking all time about God, it also means
that the great 'western civilization inspired people' have no right to force
others to go to pubs, enjoy drinking with women, swapping each other's wives
for marriage, (just because not doing so would mean being 'culturally
backward') or practicing secularism. (Which seemed to be case with some news
channels protesting Mangalore pub attacks.The issue was that attacks should
not have taken place, and those behind it must be punished, not that
everybody should believe in pub culture.)

It simply means I live my life I wish to, provided it doesn't impinge on
others' freedoms.

Regards

Rakesh