[Reader-list] Karnataka becomes pilot state for ID project - 212

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 30 16:40:11 IST 2009

Dear All

For long people in the west have been worried about anonymity, in
India it appears we will have to worry about visibility. In a country
of one billion people where does Mr.Nandan Nilekani goes to make
people visible by giving them unique numbers? His home. I wonder why
was Arunanchal Pradesh or Rajasthan or Kashmir or Andaman and Nicobar
not chosen for this purpose?

The UIDAI still does not have a proper website of its own despite a
former head of a 'giant' IT company running the show. Therefore we do
not know the matrix of policies governing the scheme, the programme,
the list of officers who are carrying out crucial tasks for
identifying people, the estimated budget for the exercise, the rules,
the regulations, the process, and the phasing of the process.

Foregrounding all this invisibility is Mr. Nandan Nilekani who seems
to be quietly making to the news. I wonder why is he calling all these
sundry press-conferences, why is he making himself visible so much
when the nation needs more material on the actual process.

So much needs to be known...

Warm regards

Taha

http://mangalorean.com/news.php?newstype=broadcast&broadcastid=143041

Karnataka becomes pilot state for ID project

Special Correspondent