[Reader-list] Muslims help perform last rites of a Pandit in Kashmir

Junaid justjunaid at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 22:52:38 IST 2009

Dear Rajendra and Kshmendra,

Which statement(s) of me can be seen as betraying/sowing any hatred
for Pandits, I would like to know. You cannot draw such conclusions
from what I have said. I don't hate, I have refused that option to
myself. As an important part of not only Kashmir's history and society
but also of the whole region Hindus are a part of me, the way since
the day I remember they have constituted my world. And so have
Muslims.

I don't think I have any "Muslimness". What is Muslimness? Is it some
extra limb attached to people who describe themselves as Muslims? Or
is it a gene that was formed exclusively among Muslims? If it is a
perspective what are its parameters. If I didn't have a Muslim name
and had said the same thing as I said in my last post, would you have
said I say such things because of some Muslimness?

If much has been said about conversions in Kashmir then I would like
to know which authoritative works on this issue are you banking on. I
would also like to know what numbers are you talking about. I would
also appreciate if you give me the sources for such "numbers".

On your two points Kshmendra.

1. I have never ever said that Pandits did not leave Kashmir--under
misinformation and disinformation in some places, under real threat by
some militants or shady groups and provocation by Indian agencies in
others, despite no societal approval of threats to Pandits, in a
situation where Indian government failed to reassure Pandits. I have
also said that the pain of leaving home is a great one. Kashmiri
Muslims share this pain with Pandits. This is the same pain which many
Kashmiri Muslims still carry from the time when they were forced out
of Kashmir by Dogra regime, or by the surviving descendants of those
tens of thousands Muslims of Poonch who were were massacred by Dogras.

I have also argued with Muslim friends in Kashmir that even if the
number of Pandits killed in early 90s was small compared with Muslims
in the same period, and miniscule seen retrospectively, it was enough
and realistic enough to trigger a panic among the Pandits. I, like
most Kashmiris, refuse to see Kashmir issue through the prism of
Pandit deaths compared to Muslim deaths, (or for that matter the lens
of India-Pakistan conflict); I see all these losses as an aggregated
loss for Kashmir.

However, I also maintain, that Pandits cannot make Kashmir continue to
stay under the Indian occupation just because Pandits share a religion
with India. That some Kashmiri Pandits became Indian nationalists
doesn't mean Kashmiri Muslims should follow suit, it would be akin to
saying that all Pandits should work for the independence of the entire
Kashmiri nation. A totally false expectation.

2. Yes I totally disagree with you that Kashmir's independence
struggle is an effect of some demonic forces of Islam. The Kashmiri
struggle is political, as it seeks political solutions to political
problems, which legitimates itself on a call for justice. Justice that
India cannot occupy or rule Kashmir against the wishes and approval of
its people. Kashmiris seek freedom from Indian rule, why should that
be "Islamic"? This bogey is an old one. Will not work anymore.

Junaid